Close

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Nest thermostat install

I was wondering if anyone can help me get my head around this, picked up a Nest in a Black Friday deal and trying to work out how to install it.

I have an Ideal Heat 15 boiler, Danfoss TP9000MA-Si thermostat next to the boiler, Danfoss TS2 remote sensor in the hall and a Danfoss (either TP4000/TP5000Si/TP5000/TP5001+RF - unsure which) thermostat in the lounge.

From what I can tell the lounge thermostat has an inbuilt sensor, when I take the cover off there are 2 wires in terminals labelled COM and N/O. The wiring diagram is here http://assistyou.danfoss.co.uk/PCMPDF/TP5000%20Si.pdf

The TS2 in the hall has 2 cables too and the TS9000 has one cable in N, 3 in L, one in 3, 4, 5, 6. The wiring diagram is here: http://heating.danfoss.com/PCMPDF/TP9000.pdf

I found the following site which has some useful info: http://www.aimlesswandering.uk/web/2...-nest-3rd-gen/

I've read up and Nest say for a zoned system you need multiple Nests (or can have one nest for one zone and the existing system for the other zone) but I can't work out if I would need two heat links if I have 2 Nests? if I do then where/how are they wired up? If I install a Nest in place of the lounge thermostat would I have to keep the TS9000 in-place and link the heat link directly to the boiler or to terminals on the TS9000?

I've watched guides on YouTube but thought people here would have done it themselves already and have some hints

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Nest thermostat install

I put mine in a couple of years ago and it was quite a simple process, replacing a Honeywell RF 2 wire thermostat on a Vaillant boiler. If you have a zoned system you will need a Nest Thermostat and Heat Link for each zone. When the Nest calls for heat the Heat link opens a valve. You will have one valve per zone.

Thanks to MHP

evilsatan (4th December 2017)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I think once I get a grasp on the system I have and how it works then I will be able to figure this out quite easily but at the moment I'm not sure what the TS5000 (if that's what it is, the panel is labelled with several model numbers) does as it only has 2 cables connected to it and what the TS9000 does. I think the TS5000 may just supply heating for the lounge area and the TS9000 takes care of hot water and heating for the rest of the house.

I then need to trace the wires back from the TS5000 and the TS2 so I know how to connect them to the heatlink.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I fitted a Nest last year using it's 'opentherm' capabilities,just needed 2 wires connected to the boiler from the heatlink,not sure if that's the 2 wires you're on about?

Thanks to Oily

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I don't think my boiler supports opentherm unfortunately, that would have been my preference if it did.

EDIT: I have searched again and some places suggest it is opentherm ready so I am not sure if that means I can use that, I may have that already but only connected to the TS5000, or if I need to add a harness. Will look into it a bit further!
    Last edited by evilsatan; 4th December 2017 at 05:45 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    I don't think my boiler supports opentherm unfortunately, that would have been my preference if it did.

EDIT: I have searched again and some places suggest it is opentherm ready so I am not sure if that means I can use that, I may have that already but only connected to the TS5000, or if I need to add a harness. Will look into it a bit further!
    I had to google my boiler(Viessmann)to see if it was opentherm compatible,Viessmann themselves said it wasn't but searching on t'interweb said otherwise.If it is compatible then it makes the installation so simple

Thanks to Oily

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'll research some more, it would help if I had a grasp on what I have in place as I've only just moved but I feel I am making some progress at least!