Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Anyone been to Cuba ?

Im off to Cuba very, very soon. Has anyone been there & what would you recommended seeing, visiting ect...? Any Caverns, good places to dive, nightlife... anywhere to avoid.
    Any tips or help would be grateful.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Anyone been to Cuba ?

Quote Originally Posted by josweet View Post
    Im off to Cuba very, very soon. Has anyone been there & what would you recommended seeing, visiting ect...? Any Caverns, good places to dive, nightlife... anywhere to avoid.
    Any tips or help would be grateful.
    I know Raptor has but don't ask him he got thrown out of the country

Thanks to Bald Bouncer

josweet (4th December 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cuba is a big place. Where are you going?

Thanks to flipper321

josweet (4th December 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Bouncer View Post
    I know Raptor has but don't ask him he got thrown out of the country
    That happens alot in Cuba.

For Cuba, RUM is cheap, western snacks and savories are expensive. Bring hot sauce as the food is generic and shit. Lovely beaches but fuck me the food is shit. I cannot emphasize how shit the food is. Bring suntan lotion, I hope you like humidity, its always humid but fuck the food is shite.

Also, once you convert the cash your stuck with it (well in Canada you are) theres a good 50 / 50 chance the AC will be broke in your room so bring a portable fan. When I went to Cuba, my friends (who were already there) told me to bring bread. Once I was in Cuba and opened my suitcase, the plastic wrapping had melted onto the bread..fucking shit

Also the airport is wank but they sell warm beer for a few bucks.

Good luck.

2 Thanks given to Sanj[UK]

josweet (4th December 2017),  piggzy (5th December 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by flipper321 View Post
    Cuba is a big place. Where are you going?
    We leave to the UK this Saturday & fly direct to Varadeo, arriving at 4pm. I assume it will be mostly American's there so i have no idea what to expect tbh ! I can assume very loud, very annoying, very drunk... but like i say.. not sure about the other guests lol
    Any tips will be great.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sanj[UK] View Post

For Cuba, RUM is cheap, western snacks and savories are expensive. Bring hot sauce as the food is generic and shit. Lovely beaches but fuck me the food is shit. I cannot emphasize how shit the food is. Bring suntan lotion, I hope you like humidity, its always humid but fuck the food is shite.

Also, once you convert the cash your stuck with it (well in Canada you are) theres a good 50 / 50 chance the AC will be broke in your room so bring a portable fan. When I went to Cuba, my friends (who were already there) told me to bring bread. Once I was in Cuba and opened my suitcase, the plastic wrapping had melted onto the bread..fucking shit

Good luck.
    All the food is included, and looks fookin' yum in the video... but , yer.. lets wait & see! Im not a big fish eater so if it full of that shit im screwed.
    Suntan lotion >>> Check
    Beach wear >>>> Check.
    Genital worts >>> not yet!

The cash part has got me little confused though, as the locals have one type & the tourists have another. The tourists currency is 15% higher in tax but im told they also accept Euro's. pounds and Dollars ? I would rather pay in that to avoid that 15% tax shit tbh.
    Im not sure if i should get a prepaid card from the travel agent or take cash.. if cash.. which currency ? Ill ask the travel agent also, but i know theyll just say "pay the tax", as they couldn't give a shit.
    Also, ill be wanting the Internet out there for the likes of facebook & Skype to keep in touch with family. Im on three Pay&GO, so should i just buy a 4G three package, or should i get a local sim when im out there as i wont be making any mobile phone calls.

Thanks
    Karma Level

You won't get mobile data there at all. The hotel may have some slow and expensive internet.

Don't take USD, they won't take it. Depending on what you plan on doing you may not need much currency. Take sterling and change up as and when you need it.

Varadero is a resort, if you want to see real cuba you'll need to get out of resort. If you get the chance definitely make an effort to get to Havana.

Thanks to flipper321

josweet (6th December 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sanj[UK] View Post

Good luck.
    Your post was very vague and left me confused... so are you saying you think the food is shit ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by josweet View Post
    All the food is included, and looks fookin' yum in the video... but , yer.. lets wait & see! Im not a big fish eater so if it full of that shit im screwed.
    Suntan lotion >>> Check
    Beach wear >>>> Check.
    Genital worts >>> not yet!

The cash part has got me little confused though, as the locals have one type & the tourists have another. The tourists currency is 15% higher in tax but im told they also accept Euro's. pounds and Dollars ? I would rather pay in that to avoid that 15% tax shit tbh.
    Im not sure if i should get a prepaid card from the travel agent or take cash.. if cash.. which currency ? Ill ask the travel agent also, but i know theyll just say "pay the tax", as they couldn't give a shit.
    Also, ill be wanting the Internet out there for the likes of facebook & Skype to keep in touch with family. Im on three Pay&GO, so should i just buy a 4G three package, or should i get a local sim when im out there as i wont be making any mobile phone calls.
    They have "chicken" but its definatley not chicken, honestly take some hot sauce with you..you can give me the karma when you come back. The food over there is bland, cheap and over cooked. I've been to most of the resorts on the island (its a very cheap weekend getaway from Toronto) I would convert the cash as you go, be careful of having to much as you wont be able to convert it back

Wifi in some of the hotel exists but its slow as shit, its quicker for you to text.

2 Thanks given to Sanj[UK]

josweet (6th December 2017),  piggzy (5th December 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Its been a nightmare last few days getting the house sorted before i go, & still got shit loads to do. Im off to grab some clothes (& ketchup) tomoz & try and find some sun glasses ffs as my peeps are only used to the great British winter weather, & i dont want to look like Mr Magoo leaving the airport.
    Im disappointed that the WIFI is virtually non existent as my family were hoping to see some FB live's, they'll just have to use their imagination

Ill be leaving the resort for sure & head out to Havana. Is the local Taxi the best way & where & what is available in Havana .. Day & night ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

How did it go?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Grrrreat thanks mate.
    Anyone thinking of going should. Internet out there is shit, weather is always hot, the people are friendly & mostly speak a splattering of English.
    We got offered Cigars, coca1ne & weed within the first 5 minutes of arriving in town, & my mate got offered a hooker later on lol.

I used the local cash machine's to draw out money as the charge was a mere 3% against the 15% the travel agent was asking !

Lots of old cars & not one pot hole to be seen.

Thanks to josweet

Sanj[UK] (31st May 2018)