Close

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Review Z-Edge Z3 Plus Car Black Box Dashcam Review

Thank you to Z-Edge for sending me their dashcam to review.

Remember I am not a professional reviewer, I'm just the typical as they say "Joe Bloggs" - a person who may be in the market looking for a dashcam for the car.

The dashcam came well packaged in a strong box:

This contained the camera, a nice long power lead with USB/12V plug (2 USB ports, nice that...) plus the suction window mount, cleaning cloth, instructions, quick start guide, a nice simple thank you leaflet, 4 cable tidies, and Kingston 32Gb memory card.

The large looking camera has a plastic body with a diamond pattern, and houses an Amberella chip to give WDR enhanced night vision, recording at 2K 2560x1440 pixels with 145? viewing angle.

The underside of the camera contains the slot for the memory card located centrally, which gives easy access when you want to remove the card for either right or left hand drive vehicles. There is a reset button and the microphone here too.

The top houses a the power button, power inlet, mini USB port, mini HDMI port and the threaded mounting hole for the suction mount (which screws in smoothly and reasonably tightly).

The sides of the dashcam have the menu control buttons (Mode Switch, Menu, Video protect, and Up, Down, & OK buttons). These react to the touch with a small click, giving you access to the options on the 3" screen which is quite bright for viewing both in menu modes and for viewing live action/replays.

The lens protrudes a short distance from the camera body, but has no facility to take a CPL filter.

Menus are typical, and easy to read and navigate through - no need to describe the functions - they are standard for dashcams.

The dashcam has a G-Sensor for collision detection recording, and Parking Mode which will turn on the camera and record for 30 seconds after motion is detected.

The screen can be set to go off after 1,3 or 5 minutes, or remain OFF.

You can adjust the HDR levels, especially useful for night recordings where you can get better views of license plates which otherwise can burn out.

The video you have recorded can have exposure control +/-2EV and the playback mode has adjustable volume settings which is a nice touch. The highest photo quality is 16mp in 4:3 mode.

The 32Gb card can hold 200 minutes of content and the card should be a class 10 type micro-SD.

The video is the test of course and I can safely report that the daytime video is very good with lots of clarity though I did see some chromatic aberration on the trees against bright sky, but even with the Amberella chip, night time is not as clear, though I have to say this is expected from the majority of cameras.

Available on Amazon.co.uk or Ebay.

A capable dashcam which will serve you pretty well, and certainly worth your consideration.

Example videos below in the spoiler.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Z-Edge Z3 Plus Car Black Box Dashcam Review

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo_baggin View Post
    A capable dashcam which will serve you pretty well, and certainly worth your consideration.
    Really am I right in saying this is a 120 quid dashcam without GPS bog basic fittings you get with a 20 quid dashcam and you really think it's worth considering?

Thanks to Bald Bouncer

Bilbo_baggin (9th December 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Bouncer View Post
    Really am I right in saying this is a 120 quid dashcam without GPS bog basic fittings you get with a 20 quid dashcam and you really think it's worth considering?
    Yep

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo_baggin View Post
    Yep
    So a dashcam that is nearly double the price of a low end dashcam with GPS you consider worth considering even though it also has all the bog basic fittings and the only thing it seems to offer different is higher quality recording which is pointless as you are recording through a windscreen. I don't know how to say this diplomatically so I will be blunt, I think you are blinded by the fact you got it free and don't really believe what you are saying.

2 Thanks given to Bald Bouncer

Bilbo_baggin (9th December 2017),  lombie (9th December 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

It works well m8. I have a cheaper Blueskysea one - and the Z does good compared to that. It's a shame it doesn't have GPS, though not everyone wants it. Maybe if you don't want your speed and location this would be an option - but I appreciate many could and would buy cheaper and be just as happy, maybe even happier.

That said, I would never say go and buy any dashcam - that choice is the buyers, and some will find the price to high - but if they do, then Z-Edge may need to consider it's price but that's down to them to decide. If you consider alternatives, then that's how it is. And if you consider say, 3, and prefer one of them (or both) then this won't be worthy of your consideration, but all said and done, it performs well enough and some people will buy it I'm sure, if if you, or I, or any DF'er, might not.

My main cam is the Nextbase 612GW but I liked this one too - and it performs fine. But the 612GW is a class above this one, that's a given.

If the price is too high then it won't make a shortlist, simple as that.

Thanks
    Karma Level

z04-M.jpg

Are those connections from 2013?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Mini USB and HDMI? 2013?

Not a clue, lol.. but I reckon they are common enough even now.

Mummy's little soldier I Black Belt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I've reviewed loads of dashcams.
    Never figured out why some have mini usb while others have micro.
    I thought at first it was a power thing, in relation to those with the additional GPS functions, but I've had ones with and without GPS and a mixture of connections.
    I can only conclude that the mini USB ones are older stock - Not that I care, since after all, they've all been freebies

Thanks to I Black Belt

Bilbo_baggin (9th December 2017)