Heater blower

Thread: Heater blower

  1. Bilbo_baggin's Avatar

    Bilbo_baggin said:

    Help Heater blower

    Last year my heater blower packed in on 1,2 and 3, but 4 was OK, so a chappie who worked in a Ford workshop gave me an old spare resistor thingie which when I swapped them over started up 1,2 and 3 again (as well as 4).

    It lasted a year, then last week went pop again (1,2 and 3 off, 4 OK). So I bought one off Amazon (just ?8) for Ford Focus 2002 and in it went and all started again.

    Yesterday, got in the car and 1,2 and 3 have gone pop again, but now also 4 has gone as well. Checked the 30amp fuse (changed it) no joy.

    If I get another resistor and change it again, will this do you think, make all 4 work again? I'm thinking the resistor has lost the loop to all 4 settings maybe?

    I know nowt about cars and mechanics so thought I would ask if anyone has an idea why all 4 have now stopped blowing and the likely reason & solution.


    Cheers.

    Bilbo.
     
  2. Over Carl's Avatar

    Over Carl said:

    Default Re: Heater blower

    I just checked a diagram which seems to suggest fuse 64 (10 amp) is responsible, but that sounds too low to me.

    Also according to that diagram, when ignition is on, relay K79 should close which will always provide 12v to the fan motor. Earth is switched, speed 4 is a direct connection to earth, speeds 1-3 go via the resistor to control speed.

    Password for rar sent via PM.

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
     
  3. Bilbo_baggin's Avatar

    Bilbo_baggin said:

    Default Re: Heater blower

    Quote Originally Posted by Over Carl View Post
    I just checked a diagram which seems to suggest fuse 64 (10 amp) is responsible, but that sounds too low to me.

    Also according to that diagram, when ignition is on, relay K79 should close which will always provide 12v to the fan motor. Earth is switched, speed 4 is a direct connection to earth, speeds 1-3 go via the resistor to control speed.

    Password for rar sent via PM.

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    Cheers fella, will have a look at that tomorrow.
     
  4. Bilbo_baggin's Avatar

    Bilbo_baggin said:

    Default Re: Heater blower

    Quote Originally Posted by Over Carl View Post
    I just checked a diagram which seems to suggest fuse 64 (10 amp) is responsible, but that sounds too low to me.
    My handbook says the heater blower is on fuse 64 as you say, but it says it is 30 not 10. I looked and it is a 30 amp fuse, which I have swapped for a new one and that has made no difference....
     
  5. dpSparhawk's Avatar

    dpSparhawk said:

    Default Re: Heater blower

    This is why it's blowing dude!. I sneaked a photo of your windscreen.

     
  6. Bilbo_baggin's Avatar

    Bilbo_baggin said:

    Default Re: Heater blower

    Quote Originally Posted by dpSparhawk View Post
    This is why it's blowing dude!. I sneaked a photo of your windscreen.







    Actually... I've only got 3 Ian, but I have maybe 3 more on the way for reviewing soon, lmao....
     
  7. Bilbo_baggin's Avatar

    Bilbo_baggin said:

    Default Re: Heater blower

    All sorted - found a duff fuse after all.

    Blowing like a good 'un again.

    Cheers lads.

    Bilbo.
     
  8. BIG-TED's Avatar

    BIG-TED said:

    Default Re: Heater blower

    It requires the air flow to cool the resistor, make sure your pollen filter has been changed recently.

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Run your wife a nice hot bath, light some candles & pour some wine. Then you've at least 40 mins on the xbox plus a clean wife.

    Experts... x is an unknown quantity and spurt is a fast drip.
     
  9. riget's Avatar

    riget said:

    Default Re: Heater blower

    Quote Originally Posted by BIG-TED View Post
    It requires the air flow to cool the resistor, make sure your pollen filter has been changed recently.

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Yes and the lower the setting(1)the hotter it gets with the least air flow, that's why they burn out.
     
  10. Bilbo_baggin's Avatar

    Bilbo_baggin said:

    Default Re: Heater blower

    Is this filter under the bonnet just below the plastic panelling beneath the windscreen wipers?
     
  11. riget's Avatar

    riget said:

    Default Re: Heater blower

    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo_baggin View Post
    Is this filter under the bonnet just below the plastic panelling beneath the windscreen wipers?
    Yes that's the one.
     
  12. Bilbo_baggin's Avatar

    Bilbo_baggin said:

    Default Re: Heater blower

    Quote Originally Posted by riget View Post
    Yes that's the one.
    Cheers fella.

    I can get one for a tenner.
     
  13. cosmicma's Avatar

    cosmicma said:

    Default Re: Heater blower

    what goes on the resistor pack is a thermal fuse which is strapped across the top of the pack
    what i think causes the thermal fuse to go in the first place is the motor bushes wearing causing the motor to draw more current to do the same job which in turn pushes more current through the resistor pack causing more heat

    my mate has just changed the heater motor on a focus for the same reason he went through 3 resistor packs before the motor itself decided to pack in

    it's a pretty common fault on fords
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]