Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News Cranberries singer Dolores Riordan dies suddenly aged 46

The Cranberries lead singer Dolores O'Riordan has died suddenly at the age of 46, her publicist has confirmed.
    The Irish musician, originally from Limerick, led the band to international success in the 90s with singles including Linger and Zombie.
    A statement from her publicist said: "The lead singer with the Irish band The Cranberries was in London for a short recording session.
    "No further details are available at this time."
    It added: "Family members are devastated to hear the news and have requested privacy at this very difficult time."
    The Cranberries shot to international fame with their 1993 debut album Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? and went on to sell over 40 million records worldwide.
    Irish rock band Kodaline were among the first to pay tribute on social media.
    Duran Duran's official Twitter feed posted a message saying the band was "crushed" to hear of the singer's death.
    Others to pay tribute include The Late, Late Show presenter, James Corden, who said meeting her when he was 15 years old "made his day".
    Skip Twitter post by @JKCorden
    I once met Delores O?Riordan when I was 15. She was kind and lovely, I got her autograph on my train ticket and it made my day. She had the most amazing voice and presence. So sorry to hear that she?s passed away today x
    ? James Corden (@JKCorden) January 15, 2018
    End of Twitter post by @JKCorden

Irish pop star Hozier said O'Riordan's voice was "unforgettable".
    Skip Twitter post by @Hozier
    My first time hearing Dolores O'Riordan's voice was unforgettable. It threw into question what a voice could sound like in that context of Rock. I'd never heard somebody use their instrument in that way. Shocked and saddened to hear of her passing, thoughts are with her family.
    ? Hozier (@Hozier) January 15, 2018
    End of Twitter post by @Hozier

Jim Corr from Irish band The Corrs tweeted offering his "deepest sympathies" to O'Riordan's family.
    In 2017 The Cranberries announced a tour including dates in Europe, the UK, and the US.
    However, in May - shortly into the European tour - The Cranberries had to cancel the remainder of the European dates as a result of O'Riordan's health issues.
    The official Cranberries website cited "medical reasons associated with a back problem" preventing singer Dolores O'Riordan's from performing.
    But just before Christmas O'Riordan had posted on Facebook saying she was "feeling good" and had done her "first bit of gigging in months", leading fans to believe she would soon be performing again.
    O'Riordan tweeted a picture of herself with her cat to fans in early January saying she was "off to Ireland".
    O'Riordan split from her husband of 20 years, Don Burton in 2014. She and Burton, who is the former tour manager of Duran Duran, have three children together.
    The singer suffered from bi-polar disorder and was spared a criminal conviction after an air rage incident in 2014.

Follow us on Facebook, on Twitter @BBCNewsEnts, or on Instagram at bbcnewsents. If you have a story suggestion email entertainment.news@bbc.co.uk.
    Let's block ads! (Why?)

BBC News

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Cranberries singer Dolores Riordan dies suddenly aged 46

Zombie was one of my fav tracks

RIP

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Cranberries singer Dolores Riordan dies suddenly aged 46