Close

Thread: Why I'm here?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Why I'm here?

I bought a large lot of Dell Laptops (36) with Latitude On buttons. For those unfamiliar with this hardware feature option, it allowed a user to boot either a stripped down OS or full Windows. The mini OS was wicked fast and power stingy but its use was limited to email use and browsing. There was specific hardware in the form of a flash drive that plugged into a dedicated pci like port in the laptop to store and boot this partition but if you lacked this, the OS was stored on a partition of the main notebook drive. After reading *REMOVED* and examining the port, it seems to me that a full Linux OS can be installed on a 1.8" SSD and used from that port. All that is required is a driver and/or some other low level programming if the port is electrically compatible with a standard SSD.

That was my hope and the aim of becoming a member here, does anyone have an opinion on the viability of this project? Moderators, feel free to move this post to where it is most likely to get the most traction.
    Last edited by Mickey; 6th February 2018 at 01:00 AM.

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Why I'm here?

This is the intro section where you post your intro

Welcome to digital forums, asking for help inside the intro section usually gets you marked as a leecher

Post specific issues in the correct section please

Thanks
    Karma Level

@Mickey
    A site lives and dies by its moderation. If the effort you made in your reprimand was applied to moving my post to the appropriate section, I'd be one step closer to actually getting something positive done instead of wasting bandwidth with you. You've made me regret my registration here, I hope that changes.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by jomama2458 View Post
    @Mickey
    A site lives and dies by its moderation. If the effort you made in your reprimand was applied to moving my post to the appropriate section, I'd be one step closer to actually getting something positive done instead of wasting bandwidth with you. You've made me regret my registration here, I hope that changes.

Hmm, you'll go far. Probably through the exit door.....
    Cheers - Coin-Op

Thanks
    Karma Level

A site lives and dies by its moderation.
    As do users.

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

You started this thread with a boring start about buying Dell tec.
    then you embedded another forums url into your thread
    then right at the end we get your intro

"That was my hope and the aim of becoming a member here, does anyone have an opinion on the viability of this project? Moderators, feel free to move this post to where it is most likely to get the most traction."

you clearly are a guy that does not know how to create an intro
    and if you got 30 odd laptops without doing your research then your a fool

I did welcome you in and left your thread intact.

Your not DF material, you have made yourself look a fool and not only that but a leecher and a spammer
    Moderators, feel free to move this post to where it is most likely to get the most traction.
    Done

Will get more traction in the HOS section

best place for this thread is the HOS

Have a nice day
    Last edited by Mickey; 6th February 2018 at 01:03 AM.

3 Thanks given to Mickey

Ashley (6th February 2018),  Northernbloke (8th February 2018),  stevo25 (6th February 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

@Mickey
    I hope you enjoyed your display of petty power. The laptops can be used as is but having them work with the option I described above adds significantly to their viability. The Dell Power-On card had an Arm processor on it which had access to the mainboard. I am exploring the possibility that a driver could be developed to use that slot as a plain 1.8" SSD slot. I thought this place might have people who would be interested in joining me in this challenge. I did read the intro section and didn't consider the post as "leeching" in intent and I thought getting straight to the point would save the site bandwidth. I guess perception of an act is truth instead of its result. Your reaction to it thwarted that plan. It's clear we've gotten off on the wrong foot but I don't think it's too objectionable to consider ourselves introduced now. Now that we've got a pretty good sense of our "personalities", would it be too much to ask that this thread be exposed to people that might be interested in it?

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

@Mickey
    I hope you enjoyed your display of petty power. The laptops can be used as is but having them work with the option I described above adds significantly to their viability. The Dell Power-On card had an Arm processor on it which had access to the mainboard. I am exploring the possibility that a driver could be developed to use that slot as a plain 1.8" SSD slot. I thought this place might have people who would be interested in joining me in this challenge. I did read the intro section and didn't consider the post as "leeching" in intent and I thought getting straight to the point would save the site bandwidth. I guess perception of an act is truth instead of its result. Your reaction to it thwarted that plan. It's clear we've gotten off on the wrong foot but I don't think it's too objectionable to consider ourselves introduced now. Now that we've got a pretty good sense of our "personalities", would it be too much to ask that this thread be exposed to people that might be interested in it?
    Its put in the HOS for a reason

Simply make a new post in the correct section and you might get help there. DF has numerous boffins that can easily sort out your little projects. If you initially had read the welcome message properly you might have got to a better start. DF gets 100s of new signups each year and 99.9% of them are only here for one thing.

Its not a power thing I don't need to be anything like that, its idiots that try and post in one section and really they should have simply made 1 post for the intro then another post in the correct section. Its not rocket science.

2 Thanks given to Mickey

Bald Bouncer (10th February 2018),  piggzy (10th February 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

If I recall correctly most stuff with latitude on (laptops like E4300, E4310 and few others) had 2 pcie ports, one being used by Wifi, and another that was there for some feature that virtually nobody ordered.

I'm wondering if it maybe a simpler challenge to see if the 2nd mini pcie is fully featured and whether there is any BIOS blacklist on any other similar restrictions to prevent you from installing a pcie ssd.

Other obvious option is to ditch the DVD drive and install a tray for a 2nd HDD (done this many times myself), but this has the obvious drawback that you no longer have a DVD drive.

Thanks to Over Carl

Mickey (10th February 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

If we can Shoehorn Linux on to it, then I'll be able to run it up the flagpole and push the button on that

11 Thanks given to tiggerbiker

Show/Hide list of the thanked

Bald Bouncer (10th February 2018),  BertRoot (10th February 2018),  coin-op (10th February 2018),  DejaVu (11th February 2018),  Delboy_1976 (11th February 2018),  dpSparhawk (11th February 2018),  Mickey (10th February 2018),  muttleymacclad (11th February 2018),  piggzy (11th February 2018),  plug1 (11th February 2018),  WRATH OF BOD (11th February 2018)  

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerbiker View Post
    If we can Shoehorn Linux on to it, then I'll be able to run it up the flagpole and push the button on that
    I was trying to recall that sentence earlier

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
    I was trying to recall that sentence earlier
    i cant remember why i go into a room but seem to remember useless stuff from years ago without a problem

Thanks to tiggerbiker

Mickey (11th February 2018)  

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

@you
    A lot of people "google" and that brings them and you our happy shores, usually like you and them don't give a flying jomama to the DF rules and most usually don't bother to take a peek at the message they got as they registered. This message and the DF rules are very important if your going to get far here and get the help and info you need.

Your Into is like a "CV" for a job applications, screw that up and your gone.
    Recently a new member posted this below he came here the same as you but his "CV" came across as a member that wanted information but was more than ready to give it back.
    I wont give out the url as you wont be able to see so I have pasted it below for you to view it.

"Hi Recently joined Digital Forum. I am currently retired after being an IT Lecturer/Programme Manager hence the name. I came across the forum while searching for help with an item and found a thread that included what I was looking for and this prompted me to join as I am sure that there are many more topics that I could follow and maybe add to. My particular interests are in NAS storage and streaming music but also incorporate family history and in particular the use of electoral data in digital format."

Maybe this guy never posts again or may be not, but that does not matter. He got his information he needed and has decided to stick around and maybe post in a thread or two. You on the other hand have come across like the other 99.9%.

As said earlier welcome to Digital forums - Please take time to readup on the DF Rules & Welcome Registrations Message

Thanks to Mickey

piggzy (11th February 2018)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Is it a wasps nest?

Sent from my Philips Cellnet using a 12c508
    Just use enough water to cover your vegetables,the same goes for when you're having a bath....

2 Thanks given to satzzz

muttleymacclad (11th February 2018),  tiggerbiker (11th February 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by satzzz View Post
    Is it a wasps nest?

Sent from my Philips Cellnet using a 12c508
    no, i think he just forgot to plug his PSP in

Social Networking Bookmarks