Firstly thank you for taking the time to read this
Secondly, complete newbie and novice so apologies for any incorrect terminology or explanations
So, I have an issue with my broadband cabling, specifically an extension lead to my shed. I think the issue is config related but would appreciate opinions and suggestions on how to fix.
Here is, hopefully, an overview of the problem:
- phone line is running into my house. Master socket and Sky broadband router all located in same room
- from the router I have a standard Cat5 cable running to a inline coupler which connects to a 2 pair extension cable which runs to my shed / office at the top of my garden (this cable has been in place for over 2 years and I know it used to work but I now have a different setup hence the rework required)
- the four pairs are in the coupler as normal
- to allow for broadband (and having taken previous advice) the 2 pair is connected as follows (blue / blue white in 6/3 and orange / orange white in 2/1). I realise 6/3 is normally for the green pair but I was advised to use green for the data (??). I should add that originally I connected the blue pair to 4/5 as normal but this also didn’t work
- at the shed end I have a cat5 outlet and the two pairs are matched as in the house coupler
- I have connected a tester and have the right pairing showing (3/6 and 1/2 flashing)
- however when I connect my laptop I get no connectivity at all. I’ve tried a Pc and A Mac just in case

Everything seems ok from a cabling perspective. Is there any config required? Does anyone know if the Sky router is configured for gigabit connectivity and I have to change settings for 10/100?

Any help appreciated and again apologies for any incorrect terminology or Mickey Mouse explanations. Tried to keep it as simple as possible

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk