Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Advice Ford ka wet footwell

Hey guys

just been to view a ka and the drivers footwell is soddened as is the rear footwell.
    is this likely to be an expensive repair?

i know it could be the bulkhead or sunroof but have no idea on costs of repair.
    its a really tidy little motor with 44k on it and only £575

But don’t want to buy if it’s gonna be £500 to fix.

Cheers for any advice.
    Have you joined the DF discord server. https://discord.com/invite/YajVGQxDaw

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Ford ka wet footwell

May not at all be related but a guy I know had a KA with a wet drivers footwell. It turned out to be what they call a Door Card.
    Not sure if this is a common issue or if it was a one off, might be worth considering though (worth a google).
    Basically doors have a sort of plasticky (water resistant) card inside them so that water that passes through the bottom of the window seal passes the exterior of the door card and out the tiny holes at the bottom of the door without entering the vehicle.
    The door card in this case had split, but if that was a manufacturing common issue I am unaware.
    I just remember it because I thought fuck off when it cost him the best part of from memory between £100-£200. Mostly labour I assume.

Might have been a one off but thought I would mention it just incase. I do remember it was an absolute bastard to diagnose.

Edit: thinking about it, if it is the door card and you can diagnose yourself I bet some sealant/duck tape would suffice.

Thanks to piggzy

Teajunkie (16th February 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

There doesn’t seem to be any water marks around the door so I’m thinking bulkhead drain plugs or the sunroof plugs.
    if it is a doorcard I can fix that bu5 sunroof well that could be £££££

Thanks to Teajunkie

piggzy (16th February 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I can imagine a sunroof costing bucks but surely there would be signs if it was that. Mold spots etc ?!?!?!?

Thanks
    Karma Level

There is a mould around the outside of it but it was dark so couldn’t see much.
    Im thinking for the money it’s a decent motor sommay be worth a punt for £550 and spending a couple of tonne on it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sounds like a bargain and to be fair on my current car the outside of the sunroof is riddled with mold but I have no interior leaks. That I believe is what they call not washing your car :-)

Mummy's little soldier I Black Belt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

If it's the sunroof, I'd expect to see water marks on the lining.Bulkhead drain plug is worth checking: I had one of those blocked on my Omega a few years back and it backwashed into the car.Other thing I can think of is the heater matrix behind the dash. I'd check if the heater works. These can be a bastard to fix as generally you have to take the clutch pedal off to get them out. luckily, mine was an automatic, so it slid straight out.

Thanks to I Black Belt

Teajunkie (17th February 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

my wifes 2008 Ka had wet drivers side floor, it turned out to be the heater control valve under the dash, the valve jammed and leaked a lot,
    the part is cheap on fleebay at around 15 quid, it passes through the bulkhead and can be fitted from under the bonnet, you will know if its that
    when you get the car upto temp and the heater can only blow hot air even when set to cold.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Fies...MAAOSww-BaYur4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0bqc8mnlE

Thanks to WRATH OF BOD

Teajunkie (17th February 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

A mates just been round to look at it and 5eres a small hole in the floor that’s been welded badly and needs re welding.
    So looks like we’re good to go.

Thanks for all all the help guys I’m sure there will be more questions in the near future.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Question is why did the floor rot? On old cars this was a common occurance, but it's not as common these days unless the car is getting on a bit.

Was it badly painted/sealed from factory? E.g. I've had the floor on an Alfa 156 rot big style, and the jack points on 2 W220 Merc S Classes. All of them were made in the first year or two of those particular models, and factory weren't properly rustproofing certain areas.

Or is it water getting into the car and sitting around causing the floor to rot? Each car will have common areas to check, e.g. both those W220 Mercs had water puddling up around the wiper area which would then leak into the car because of a blocked reed valve, my mum's W202 C Class had water coming into the footwells last summer, turned out all the drains were blocked. Took me an afternoon to do a perfect job but didn't cost a penny.

Another semi common issue is when a car has been left to stand for a long time and plants start growing underneath. Even if they don't actually grow into the car, they hold a lot of moisture.
    Last edited by Over Carl; 17th February 2018 at 09:05 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over Carl View Post
    Or is it water getting into the car and sitting around causing the floor to rot?
    That is my prediction.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Picked it up and it’s a really lovely drive not a single issue.
    lots of receipts and full history not one advisory on the mots either.

Had and a really good look around on the drive and there’s a fair bit of rust on the bottom of the drivers door with a few pot holes so I’m guessing the door is the main cause.
    so tomorrow I will be stripping out the door panel and looking into that as pigzy said.

we got it for £550 down from £700 so pleased and don’t mind spending the extra getting it back up to standard.

4 Thanks given to Teajunkie

I Black Belt (17th February 2018),  Over Carl (19th February 2018),  piggzy (17th February 2018),  WRATH OF BOD (18th February 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

So I stripped off the door panel and had a good look and it’s not coming in through the door enough to be soaking the car footwell.

The whole carpet and soak pads are drenched as is the soundproofing as far up as the bulkhead so I’m guessing it’s coming in through the bulkhead somewhere.
    now I removed the scuttle panel and cleaned it all out but it was pretty immaculate in there and no sign of blockages.
    So im thinking it must be coming through a grommet?

Checked the main loom grommet and it’s pretty tight and after pouring a shit load of water over the windscreen it’s not coming in there either.

now I can’t see behind the pedals and I’m not as young as I used to be so hanging upside down looking is almost impossible.
    So im looking for a picture of the grommet locations of the drivers side bulkhead but can’t find any.

Also so looking for a cheap supplier for a new roof lining and maybe a new carpet if anyone knows of a site?

Thanks
    Karma Level

OK so I think the issue may be coming from behind the heater/radio.

i don’t think it’s the heater control valve as it still blows cold when engine is hot.
    Also wouldn’t the coolant level drop if it was that?

im so pissed off!!
    today I dried the carpets faxed the shit out of them and dried them out with a heater in the car then had a dehumidifier running in the car and it was bone dry.

Now we drove to the train station 5 miles away and back still bone dry well happy.
    its rained very lightly here but for an hour or so.
    I checked it again half hour ago and there’s a fucking puddle on the floor again.
    I’m calling the garage in the morning as it’s doing my nut in.

the sound proofing is wrecked under the rubber the green wadding is just mush and falling apart.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Behind Heater/Radio is the heater matrix. Notorious to fuck up and leak.
    Looks like a mini typical car Radiator to me.
    If is is the heater matrix though I would expect that you are topping up RAD water a little more than normal. If it super new you may not have noticed yet.
    Literally though it can be deceiving. An egg cup full can piss soak your mat. So you may think you are not topping it up that much.

Have you needed to top up the reservoir ??? Had this happen to me before. Another clue was steamy windows (windscreen).

2 Thanks given to piggzy

Over Carl (19th February 2018),  Teajunkie (18th February 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

It’s at the same level still and there is a shit load of water.
    i got a full vax water tank just from the front footwell today and more.

I’m going to try and get it into the garage tomorrow and see what they say.
    i have read horror stories on the ford forums of the engine needing to come out to sort some leaks which is BiG money

Thanks to Teajunkie

piggzy (19th February 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

If I remember rightly the Ford Focus was notorius for water in the footwell caused by a leaking seal where the pollen/cabin filter is fitted, this was replaced from the outside underneath the panel at the bottom of the windscreen by the wiperblade n/s, sorry can't remember the correct name. Knowing Ford then I would suspect that the KA is in the same place ! (quick Google confirms same location) this is almost certainly the cause of your water ingress .......

Regards

4 Thanks given to Lestronics

I Black Belt (19th February 2018),  Over Carl (19th February 2018),  piggzy (19th February 2018),  Teajunkie (19th February 2018)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I was going to suggest checking the pollen filter also, not a Ford/Ka but the original SEAT Leon had leaking issues if the pollen filter wasn't fitted correctly. Though the Leon (And Toledo of the same style) had major door leaking issues too.

Thanks to Brydo666

Over Carl (21st February 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quick update:

Garage called today they have had it for three days and only just got to it today!
    Well its the bulkhead rusted and has a few holes and quite bad around the heater so its being welded and resealed.

Not bad price though £90 plus vat (special price as owner is a friend of the wife)
    A lot better than expected too was thinking £100's so well happy.

4 Thanks given to Teajunkie

Bilbo_baggin (21st February 2018),  jaygo (21st February 2018),  Over Carl (21st February 2018),  Rhinoz (22nd February 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Another update on this.

went for the Mot last week and was informed it needed some welding done on the rear sill didn’t think it was too bad so they couldn’t get to it until today but not overfussed as the daughter doesn’t really drive it much as she hasn’t passed her test yet.

Then had a Phone call can you come down and look at the car before we do any work.
    they have removed the trim to do the welding and the whole of the car is rotten under all the trim panels.

Heres just one one picture of the rear wheel arch.
    its the same on both sides and all the body is the same so they have said it’s not worth doing it’s probably 10+ hours of welding alone.

Im gutted! we can’t afford to buy her a new car and she saved every penny she earns to get this car.
    the insurance alone is £1200 a year I really can’t believe how bad this car is.
    fucking fords.

Devistated is just an understatement.
    7CF2D49B-FD10-41B7-8D35-DCFF2BE5748E.jpeg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast