Close

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Recommend a loose tea......

Can anyone recommend a good loose tea brand. English breakfast style... Want to stop drinking teabag rubbish after I heard all the crap that goes into making them...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Recommend a loose tea......

Pukka Herbs do an organic English breakfast tea which goes down well in the office. Buts it’s not the cheapest.

https://www.pukkaherbs.com/teas-supp...ish-breakfast/

Thanks to CzarJunkie

CallmeGoose (13th March 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I recently went down this route too... as sad as it is.
    Anyhoo from our findings, as Czar said above the Pukka one is good but we actually preferred a Co-op own brand one. It is in a red box and called Coop Fairtrade 99 loose leaf tea blend and came with some WWII story about how it was first blended and some bollox. Anyway long story short we voted it was better than Pukka (sorry Czar) and the others we tried including Tea Pig etc

It's about £1.70 for a fairly decent amount off the top of my head. Miles apart from Tea in bags.

Also without going too off topic. Use Organic Milk...... HUGE fucking difference ;-)
    Without going even further off topic, make sure it's Full Fat, none of this cancer causing Semi or Skimmed (do your research, they don't just 'skim' the cream off and it IS NOT less fattening as they destroy the enzyme which tells your body how to digest the fats in the process of 'skimming')

lol

Thanks to piggzy

Thanks
    Karma Level

Dunno how many are still around, but might be worth popping into a local Whittards. My little sister worked there many years ago as her first part time job and from what she told me, they would actually speak to customers to try and figure out what they may like and appropriately advise (not just upsell as there was no commission).

Then once you've used a big expensive chain to give you a little direction then look up more into whatever takes your fancy.

Thanks to Over Carl

Thanks
    Karma Level

Tesco's finest Earl Grey is really really nice if you like that kind of thing. Smells like a 'hooers' handbag but actually, it's quite a nice scent and imho tastes great. Is a really really nice palette cleanser after eating.

However I'm rather fond of this Irish Breakfast Tea. Great any time of the day but does indeed give you a nice wake up. - https://www.theteamakers.co.uk/TTMIR...RoCLzwQAvD_BwE

I'm also rather fond of Russian Caravan Tea (available at various prices on the web). Has a very subtly smokey flavour but is very nice.
    Also, if you prefer a lighter team Orange Pekoe Ceylon is rather nice. Again available at various prices. This one once the leaves have infused in your teapot infuser chamber, open up into nice decent size leaves. Has quite a light flavour. Is nice black but if you must have milk, a tiny bit works well.

I think Tea has made quite a bit of a revival what with infusion teapots and these highstreet / city Tea bars that have been springing up. Can't beat a decent brew.

The comments re. Semi-skimmed milk are rather interesting. I'll go research that however if you have links, they'd help too

Thanks to dpSparhawk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post
    none of this cancer causing Semi or Skimmed (do your research, they don't just 'skim' the cream off and it IS NOT less fattening as they destroy the enzyme which tells your body how to digest the fats in the process of 'skimming')
    Careful there you may drop your tin-foil hat...

I get tea from time to time from either F&M or The Tea Palace. I think price is moot if you want something decent, not tried Pukka Herbs... sounds like a head shop!

DJ OD

Thanks to DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

www.teapigs.co.uk job done ;-) buy all our tea from there

Thanks to akimba

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

the reason I ask, is that I took the missus to The Ritz for afternoon tea for her mothers day. Had the Royal English Ritz tea, and being a teabag man myself before - noticed the massive difference in taste. Ordered one of those fusion teapots as suggested and im going to order the ones CJ and piggzy suggested.

Will look into the milk variations too. Love a cuppa, but I think i need to get away from the teabag shite and the chemicals used. http://www.trimdownclub.com/the-dang...-to-drink-tea/

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah got to get yourself a pot and do it old skool makes hella difference ;-)

Now the missus argue over washing the pot or not? she thinks a weekly wash in the dishwasher improves the taste where as I think you should let it stain up??

Thanks
    Karma Level

On a side note tea pot got smashed at some point and we started using an old no longer used cafetiere.
    Never once had tea leaves in the end cup. Still just using the cafetiere. Might look a bit daft but it does a better job imho.

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

this is the one i ordered: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

coming tomorrow...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CallmeGoose View Post
    this is the one i ordered: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

coming tomorrow...
    Damn it, the Mrs just saw the picture over my shoulder. looks like we are getting one now.

Thanks to piggzy

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post
    Damn it, the Mrs just saw the picture over my shoulder. looks like we are getting one now.
    Bit of advice before you buy that as I have one similar and the metal lid is annoying as it gets bloody hot and a fucker to take off and refill, I use a french press for my tea now way better.

2 Thanks given to Bald Bouncer

CallmeGoose (13th March 2018),  piggzy (13th March 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Bouncer View Post
    Bit of advice before you buy that as I have one similar and the metal lid is annoying as it gets bloody hot and a fucker to take off and refill, I use a french press for my tea now way better.
    Isn't that just basically a cafetiere ???

Cheers

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have been drinking Green tea mainly for about 15 years but also drink others such as kashmiri and kawa mixes, Jasmine and anything else takes my fancy, the teapots look the part but don't hold much and as I say the knob gets annoyingly hot so started using a French press, it does not look all fancy but is really ideal for loose tea, holds loads, easy to refill and simple to clean.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2 Thanks given to Bald Bouncer

CallmeGoose (13th March 2018),  piggzy (13th March 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah that is basically what I am already using so will stick to that, cheers.

Like you said they hold a proper good amount, our 2 massive power tea drinking mugs both get filled up and I reckon that must be about 1.5 pints between me and the Mrs.

I also like how the french press is super easy to clean. The Mrs is also partial to her Turmeric tea which I do partake of once in a while. Really, really good if you have any pain issues as it is massively anti inflammatory...

Thanks
    Karma Level

A Cafetiere works perfectly fine with the larger leaf teas however if you do have a loose tea that is similar to the stuff in tea bags (but just much better because it's decent tea and not the shite you get in regular tea bags) then a cafetiere sometimes lets some through. In which case, a strainer helps.

This is the pot I have. Plastic handle, Plastic lid and comes with two metal infusers. Actually, sometimes when I'm just wanting a single cup, I put the infuser directly into the cup, put a spoonful of tea in there, boiling water and leave for 3 mins or so. Works a treat.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks
    Karma Level

we got a pot with an infuser like you bought goose, think it better the let the leaves give up their flavour naturally man than squash the shit out of them ;-)

Not trying to sway you but teapigs got 20% of their everyday brew just now https://www.teapigs.co.uk/tea/shop_b..._breakfast.htm ;-)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by akimba View Post
    think it better the let the leaves give up their flavour naturally man than squash the shit out of them ;-)
    I think you are misunderstanding the use of a french press with tea, you leave the plunger up and the odd time move it up and down to get the tea moving and only when you are ready to drink you push it down to filter the tea from the leaves not squash it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Bouncer View Post
    I think you are misunderstanding the use of a french press with tea, you leave the plunger up and the odd time move it up and down to get the tea moving and only when you are ready to drink you push it down to filter the tea from the leaves not squash it.
    Yeah that makes more sense but when I have seen them in action people just smash erm down as is the culture of the "cant wait society" we live in now where as tea is about sitting back relaxing and waiting for it to brew ;-)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast