Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Its that time of year again

So the flagship iPhone X is already not the flagship phone by being trumped by the iPhone XS and the iPhone XS Max which the top models of these are retailing at nearly $1400.

But don't worry they brought our a iPhone XR (R for Retarded) model but that is still $900

Will Apple be able to milk this cash cow one more time??

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Its that time of year again

"I hate iPhones, Android FTW!"
    "Fuck that. Android is shit. iOS FTW!"

Repeat until close thread.

2 Thanks given to CominAtcha

c0axial (15th September 2018),  hoponbaby (14th September 2018)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I think they will, I see it all the time where clients are asking me what Mac they should buy and I explain to them that their usage is not suited towards a Mac. The only reason they want them is because they are flashy and they quote the same mistruths about not being vulnerable to malware, being faster with no issues.

Apple have a designer reputation now, I was surprised to see that they stuck with the premium pricing and have actually increased the pricing of the "base" model.

I have had the iPhone X from release day, excellent phone but doesn't justify the cost IMO. I just can't get on with the Android OS so stick with iPhones, used to upgrade my phone at least once a year but before I got the X I was still using my release day iPhone 6. Think I will get the series 4 watch this time around (resisted til now saying when my G-shock dies will upgrade but it's one tough fucker!), hoping to force myself to be a bit more active, like the idea of pairing to my phone for more convenient notifications and it seems to be the champion of the sector like the iPad seems to be too.

Thanks to evilsatan

piggzy (14th September 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I ordered a 256Gb XS this morning. I like iPhones. I have had half a dozen Androids and not keen on any flavour I have tried TBH and I like the integration with my Apple watch. Can't be arsed listening to Android users bleating about me being a sheep or how the OS is so much less locked down when all they do is download apps from the Play store and do nothing else.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I’m just sitting here waiting to see what Malty offloads next lol

Still rocking his 6plus.

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm liking the look of all the new phones Huawei keep rolling out. There cameras are knocking the spots off anything right now and the rest of the specs are tasty too.

https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/phones/p20-pro/

Thanks
    Karma Level

Big Apple fan here myself but since the launch of the iPhone X im not impressed with apples greed.
    Why are people really paying £1500 for a phone?

i just don’t get it!
    im off to one plus as soon as the 6t is released and we will see how it compares.
    I have also had my sights set on the galaxy watch just for the 7day battery life alone.
    I was going to go for the Apple Watch 4 but 18 hours battery life just kills the whole point of a smart watch for me.

im using a cheap Chinese smart watch at the minute after I returned my fossil q with a shit battery life.
    The cheap Chinese lasts 3 days without needing a charge although lacking some serious features.

Andriod here I come.
    Apple can suck it cheeky Cnuts £1500 pffft. Yeah right.
    Have you joined the DF discord server. https://discord.com/invite/YajVGQxDaw

Thanks to Teajunkie

piggzy (14th September 2018)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I think the price of phones is getting crazy, I use a OnePlus 6 at the moment and love it.

I really like the look of the P20 Pro as piggzy said - good deals at the moment. £33/Month for 30GB Data with EE and £0 upfront.

2 Thanks given to Brydo666

piggzy (14th September 2018),  Teajunkie (14th September 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

What baffles me is that year in, year out people all rush out to fork out £600 - £1500 on a phone. OK, I say phone but that's a rather loose term for a pocket computer really. However when all is said and done, it's a phone with some really really fancy features yet EVERY time I see someone with a £1000 phone, they're on Facebook, or Twitter, or a web site or listening to some shit 128kb bitrate MP3 nicked off the internet. Some are using them for GPS features such as recording bike rides, running and for some weird fucking reason, their daily walk to the shops (WTF is that about?)

Of course there are some people using more advanced apps on their "phones" but in the grand scheme of things.... the percentage is quite low.

I also get that some of these phones are sporting exceptional cameras but what I have found is that no matter how good the camera is, and no matter how good it looks on the phone screen, get that image onto a PC and it's flat, washed out and often very grainy. Fine if you don't have a PC and just live your life with a pocket screen I suppose.

So people get stuck in their 24 and 36 month contracts (how long will it be before it's 48 months?), just so they can afford the £1000 phone but they end up paying £50 - £70 month for it (with a £0 up front fee). For what? Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, texts and a bit of web browsing. Even then, within 12 months, they're looking to change it for a newer version or they've dropped it and smashed the screen (then replaced it with a really shite cheap copy screen done by the local cowboy phone repairman)

I got away from contract shite the minute decent budget phones started really taking a hold on the market. I didn't like they way it was going and as for mobile data, whenever I'm in a building, I'm generally on a WiFi connection, if I'm nowhere near a wifi connection, I'm generally somewhere I don't need to be looking into my phone constantly.

As such, I have an Honor 9 Lite. It cost me £160. I have a £7/month contract that gives me 1200 minutes off network minutes per month but unlimited calls across the same network or to other mobiles on the same network. I generally tend to make at most an hours worth of calls a month. As for Data, I get 6Gb mobile data per month which rolls over for a month if not used... I rarely hit over a 1gb or 2 per month.

The camera is reasonable, the phone is fast, and it does what I need it to (which seems to be the same as the £1000 phones).

Who needs a £1000 phone?

3 Thanks given to dpSparhawk

MHP (16th September 2018),  Mickey (15th September 2018),  piggzy (15th September 2018)  

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I don't feel that paying all that money can really justify what your getting for the price. I need to get a new .phone soon as my Nokia 735 apps have just about gone. I did say when my banking app goes I'll move over to another phone. For £10 a month for the last 3 and a half years it did all the other phones did and the battery lasted till I charged it up. At night on a busy day browsing.

I would like to really know what are the benefits of this and other expensive phones over cheaper phones. My phone rings I answer it. I get a wotsapp I reply. I often take photos and my results are good. Better than my sons iPhone 5. Unlimited text unlimited minutes and 8 gig that I can hotspot\tether. So no I'd rather spend the extra cash per month on other thing.

If the new iPhone is for you then fine. Fanbois will always be fandois. Enjoy you phone just don't drop it\get it stolen

Thanks to Mickey

dpSparhawk (15th September 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by dpSparhawk View Post
    What baffles me is that year in, year out people all rush out to fork out £600 - £1500 on a phone. OK, I say phone but that's a rather loose term for a pocket computer really. However when all is said and done, it's a phone with some really really fancy features yet EVERY time I see someone with a £1000 phone, they're on Facebook, or Twitter, or a web site or listening to some shit 128kb bitrate MP3 nicked off the internet. Some are using them for GPS features such as recording bike rides, running and for some weird fucking reason, their daily walk to the shops (WTF is that about?)

Of course there are some people using more advanced apps on their "phones" but in the grand scheme of things.... the percentage is quite low.

I also get that some of these phones are sporting exceptional cameras but what I have found is that no matter how good the camera is, and no matter how good it looks on the phone screen, get that image onto a PC and it's flat, washed out and often very grainy. Fine if you don't have a PC and just live your life with a pocket screen I suppose.

So people get stuck in their 24 and 36 month contracts (how long will it be before it's 48 months?), just so they can afford the £1000 phone but they end up paying £50 - £70 month for it (with a £0 up front fee). For what? Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, texts and a bit of web browsing. Even then, within 12 months, they're looking to change it for a newer version or they've dropped it and smashed the screen (then replaced it with a really shite cheap copy screen done by the local cowboy phone repairman)

I got away from contract shite the minute decent budget phones started really taking a hold on the market. I didn't like they way it was going and as for mobile data, whenever I'm in a building, I'm generally on a WiFi connection, if I'm nowhere near a wifi connection, I'm generally somewhere I don't need to be looking into my phone constantly.

As such, I have an Honor 9 Lite. It cost me £160. I have a £7/month contract that gives me 1200 minutes off network minutes per month but unlimited calls across the same network or to other mobiles on the same network. I generally tend to make at most an hours worth of calls a month. As for Data, I get 6Gb mobile data per month which rolls over for a month if not used... I rarely hit over a 1gb or 2 per month.

The camera is reasonable, the phone is fast, and it does what I need it to (which seems to be the same as the £1000 phones).

Who needs a £1000 phone?
    Completely agree. For that reason I havent had a contract for about 10 years. I buy my clone chinese phone for in the region of £150 - £250 . Giffgaff for under £10 a month and have never run out of data or minutes.
    Phone does everything I want and does it fast. Phones last about 2/3 years from experience before showing their age. Looking at getting a new one in the next couple of months and will probably get whatever xiaomi has on offer this time.

Thanks to piggzy

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
    I don't feel that paying all that money can really justify what your getting for the price. I need to get a new .phone soon as my Nokia 735 apps have just about gone. I did say when my banking app goes I'll move over to another phone. For £10 a month for the last 3 and a half years it did all the other phones did and the battery lasted till I charged it up. At night on a busy day browsing.

I would like to really know what are the benefits of this and other expensive phones over cheaper phones. My phone rings I answer it. I get a wotsapp I reply. I often take photos and my results are good. Better than my sons iPhone 5. Unlimited text unlimited minutes and 8 gig that I can hotspot\tether. So no I'd rather spend the extra cash per month on other thing.

If the new iPhone is for you then fine. Fanbois will always be fandois. Enjoy you phone just don't drop it\get it stolen
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    "That's why I fucked your bitch you fat mother fucker"

3 Thanks given to BigBrand

dpSparhawk (15th September 2018),  Mickey (15th September 2018),  piggzy (15th September 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I agree on the ludicrous cost of the phone but not all situations are the same.

My phone is a company asset and therefore saves me paying 40% tax on that money if I were to pay myself that cash instead. My contract is through O2 and I get F and F discount so to me, as an Apple user, it makes sense. And justification for doing it? I don't fucking need any... So I have bought a phone for approx 300 if you include the tax saving and will then pay 15 quid a month on it for 10Gb of data and unlimited calls and texts. Suits me fine.

Thanks to BertRoot

Thanks
    Karma Level

Prior to my Honor 9 Lite, I had the One Plus 2. It cost me £239 at the time so I was rather excited for the One Plus 6... until I saw the price tag, then it just ended up falling into the same category as the big manufacturers. I think 1+ is getting a bit too big for its boots now and at risk of losing out on market share because people will still fall into the Samsung and Apple trap OR, like we have done here, opted for a phone less than £200 that satisfies all needs and is easily sold for a few quid or donated when its time is up without feeling that you're losing a fortune

Plus you don't get bloatware on budget phones

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BertRoot View Post
    I agree on the ludicrous cost of the phone but not all situations are the same.

My phone is a company asset and therefore saves me paying 40% tax on that money if I were to pay myself that cash instead. My contract is through O2 and I get F and F discount so to me, as an Apple user, it makes sense. And justification for doing it? I don't fucking need any... So I have bought a phone for approx 300 if you include the tax saving and will then pay 15 quid a month on it for 10Gb of data and unlimited calls and texts. Suits me fine.

There will always be exceptions of course. Company asset / Company phones, I get that. I guess I'm referring more to the vast majority of the consumer market

Some of my colleagues are fucking daft lol.... you hear them getting excited over the latest iPhone or Samsung and that they got it for an awesome £45/month... then 12 months later they're doing it again .

It's not a case of being unable to afford such phones for myself personally... but by saving money on ridiculously expensive phones, it means more money for bike stuff

Thanks to dpSparhawk

piggzy (15th September 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by dpSparhawk View Post
    It's not a case of being unable to afford such phones for myself personally... but by saving money on ridiculously expensive phones, it means more money for bike stuff
    Hahahaha, am currently weighing up a frame purchase. Down to a Yeti SB150 or a Santa Cruz Nomad. No food for the kids for a while.

Thanks to BertRoot

Thanks
    Karma Level

Had iphones since day 1 but since seeing how well the one plus 6 performs I jumped ship, ive been away from contracts a good few years now and could not be happier.

Thanks to consoles

piggzy (15th September 2018)