Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News Shoppers to pay deposit for bottles and cans in bid to cut waste

People in England will soon have to pay a deposit when they buy drinks bottles and cans in a bid to boost recycling and cut waste.
    The deposit will increase prices - but consumers will get the money back if they return the container.
    The scheme is expected to cover single-use glass and plastic bottles, and steel and aluminium cans.
    Full details are subject to consultation and yet to be decided, including how big the deposit will be.
    The government has announced the scheme following Blue Planet II which featured footage of wildlife eating plastic.
    Environment Secretary Michael Gove said there was no doubt that plastic was "wreaking havoc" on the marine environment and discarded plastic bottles and cans "end up dumped on pavements and lobbed into rivers, lakes and the sea".
    "We have already banned harmful microbeads and cut plastic bag use, and now we want to take action on plastic bottles to help clean up our oceans," he said.
    "We need to see a change in attitudes and behaviour. And the evidence shows that reward and return schemes are a powerful agent of change."
    UK consumers use around 13 billion plastic drinks bottles a year but more than three billion are not recycled.
    Scotland has already announced plans for a deposit return scheme and Wales has launched a study to consider it.
    Similar schemes in northern Europe have led to a big increase in the amount of plastic recycled.
    'Brilliant decision'

Media playback is unsupported on your device

The announcement has been welcomed by environmental campaigners, but industry may be worried about the price tag.
    It may be asked to pick up the bill for the deposit return scheme. Currently drinks manufacturers pay only around 10% of the £2.8bn local authority bill for cleaning up waste.
    Councils will also be anxious to ensure that kerbside collecting is not undercut when details are confirmed.
    Samantha Harding, from the Campaign to Protect Rural England, said: "This is a brilliant and significant decision by Michael Gove.
    "I am thrilled that we will finally see the many benefits a deposit system will bring to England, not least the absence of ugly drinks containers in our beautiful countryside.
    "What's significant is that producers will now pay the full costs of their packaging, reducing the burden on the taxpayer and setting a strong precedent for other schemes where the polluter pays."
    Media playback is unsupported on your device

Ministers have visited deposit return schemes in several north European nations.
    They were impressed by a Norwegian scheme, which claims a 94% recycling rate for bottles made from PET, the clear plastic used for water and fizzy drinks.
    The entire scheme in Norway was set up by the beverage industry after the government slapped a tax on every un-recycled bottle. The drinks industry has installed machines in shops that take in used bottles and cans and back give a coupon to return the deposit.
    Mr Gove said the 5p levy put on plastic bags proves how effectively the UK can respond as consumption of single-use carrier bags is down 83%.
    He said it was vital to act, pointing to two reports last week.
    One said plastic pollution in the sea would treble in a decade unless marine litter is curbed.
    The other warned that the Great Pacific Garbage Patch - an artificial island of plastic material twice the size of France - is thought to contain 79,000 tonnes of floating waste - that is up to 16 times more plastic and microplastic particles than previously estimated.
    Follow Roger on Twitter.
    Let's block ads! (Why?)

BBC News

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Shoppers to pay deposit for bottles and cans in bid to cut waste

Not sure if this will work. was different in my dayz when you pinched the pop bottles of the steps and took them back to the shops for the 1p deposit.

Thanks to Mickey

Over Carl (31st March 2018)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
    Not sure if this will work. was different in my dayz when you pinched the pop bottles of the steps and took them back to the shops for the 1p deposit.
    I remember that

I'm not sure if this will work but something needs to be done before this plastic problem destroys the planet.

2 Thanks given to ilscuro

Mickey (30th March 2018),  Over Carl (31st March 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

All very well getting us to reduce our plastic production and waste and I do agree with this but when you have countries East and South East of the European continent that just don't give a shit, it's a tough fight to win.

I've often wondered why we don't use paper grocery bags like the US does. They can make handles for them these days that are tougher than plastic carrier bags. All other plastic packaging needs to be looked into too. How many times do you see a MicroSD card in a plastic package that is over 100 times the size of the actual card itself, yet they make it huge and put a massive product card in there to show you the tiny little product inside.

Thanks to dpSparhawk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ive actually phoned up companies to complain about plastic packaging. The was one was warburtons and their giant crumpets. Two crumpets covered in plastic and sat in a plastic tray. Food that costs pennies to produce and loads of plastick packaging that will likely never find its way into being recycled. I recycle but when you look at the mountains of mixed recyclables in huge compressed bales being sent in containers to developing countries to sort you do have to wonder about the ethics of using single use plastics like this in the first place.

Ive started to make buying decisions based on how grotesquely excessive some packaging is.

2 Thanks given to Zippeyrude

Over Carl (31st March 2018),  Sanj[UK] (2nd April 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think more people should do what the group in Bath did at Tesco. Buy all your shopping and the proceed to remove it from its plastic packaging and leave all the packaging in the supermarket (where viable of course depending on the produce)

Thanks to dpSparhawk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ilscuro View Post
    I remember that

I'm not sure if this will work but something needs to be done before this plastic problem destroys the planet.
    A little too late for that I think.

We recycle everything that can be recycled.
    The council is so picky about what can and can’t be recycled it’s sending way too much to landfill.

At christmas we had all the family over and ended up with two black sacks full of cans, but because the council won’t take recycling that’s not in a black box and “SORTED” we put it in clear sacks so they could see it was only cans and they left it behind.

Its always the same so 99% of the time we take our recycling to our local Tesco who have bins for almost everything.
    Have you joined the DF discord server. https://discord.com/invite/YajVGQxDaw

Thanks to Teajunkie

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by dpSparhawk View Post
    I've often wondered why we don't use paper grocery bags like the US does. They can make handles for them these days that are tougher than plastic carrier bags.
    We did. Up until the late seventies, supermarkets used 'handled' paper bags. I remember shopping with my mum and dad back then and clearly remember brown paper Sainsbury's bags with their orange font. It was also rare to see a plastic bottles back then, most containers were glass or metal. Just like most things in life its the big organisation that dictate things like this and not the consumer. I've worked over in Europe a few times and shopped in various supermarkets, it not uncommon to see shoppers bringing their own containers for wine, cooking oils and breakfast cereals etc. This could be easily implemented in the UK.

2 Thanks given to MHP

dpSparhawk (31st March 2018),  Over Carl (31st March 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Teajunkie View Post
    The council is so picky about what can and can’t be recycled it’s sending way too much to landfill.

I think this is the problem that needs to be addressed next with regards to recycling.

I used to live in London Borough of Ealing a while ago. We just had one big non recycling bin and one big recycling bin. Just throw all the recycling stuff in the recycle box and these would be cleaned and separated. Now I'm in London Borough of Hounslow, we are told we must clean and separate recycling waste otherwise waste will not be collected, and we could be fined. Just to make things even more of a joke, they have unpublished rules on what type of plastics they may refuse. Had to actually catch the bin man red handed rejecting our waste and ask him personally why he hasn't taken our plastic for the last 3 weeks otherwise we would have got nowhere..

Before this whole recycling idea, companies used to profitably mine stuff out of the ground, refine it, transport it across the world, to be finally converted to products for use. I'm guessing this was all profitable as most companies of the size to do such work don't tend to work for free.

Now with recycling, surely this massively reduces the effort needed in comparison to mining ore to refine which would logically mean it is cheaper.

So how have we ended up in the position where private companies are being paid by councils/government to collect items they will reuse and sell, then they get to charge again when they sell their finished products, and mugs like us have to risk our lives for free* to subsides these massive companies.

* I can picture a person ending up accidently slicing their wrists cleaning inside of a used can. Even without resorting to hyperbole, I know they aren't paying for our water, heating, soap, or human time.

The current situation seems as absurd as me rolling up to the local supermarket and demanding that I give them a shopping list of recycled/environmentally friendly items, and they pay me to put stuff in my car, organised in the exact fashion I want (without even letting them know the exact method I will find acceptable), and if they don't do this they are going to be penalised.

2 Thanks given to Over Carl

beerman (3rd April 2018),  dpSparhawk (1st April 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

It was on the news about my local council a few days ago. It was talking about the PUBLIC blue bins the council provide in the town centers.
    It said the council get £130 per tonne, however if contaminants are found in that tonne, there is no picking it out, the whole tonne is chucked.

What the actual fuck ?

Thanks to piggzy

Over Carl (1st April 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I must admit, I do tend to give food tins a quick rinse out because, as recycling isn't "bagged" like general waste, recycle bins tend to get a little smelly given their fortnightly collection so it just helps to remove as much of the food waste as possible. Similarly, flatten down the big plastic milk bottles and replace the caps. It's absurd the amount of things you cannot put in a recycling bin that you would think is perfectly recyclable.

Fortunately, it does seem that Liverpool City Council (for all their normal failings), don't seem to be too fussed about searching through your recycling bin to make sure you haven't put something in there you shouldn't and gladly just take it away.

We should start using non-recyclable waste to fill in the bloody pot holes across the country.

2 Thanks given to dpSparhawk

Over Carl (1st April 2018),  stevo25 (4th April 2018)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Fantastic idea. Ironically Barrs up here in Scotland just binned their 20p glass bottle deposit scheme that ran from as far back as I remember. They said it wasn't financially viable anymore.

There were many work places that used to save their glass bottles and the local charity places would collect them at the end of the month. I know Strathcarron Hospice made a couple of hundred K a year withthis. Now it's finished they've lost a lot of revenue.

I hope they introduce it to Scotland. I think it will give many charities the opportunity to make some money plus making the place tidier.
    I understand and accept that some people hold opinions that are different to my own. Living in a free and democratic society, I fully embrace and respect their right to be wrong.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Argyll View Post
    Fantastic idea. Ironically Barrs up here in Scotland just binned their 20p glass bottle deposit scheme that ran from as far back as I remember. They said it wasn't financially viable anymore.

There were many work places that used to save their glass bottles and the local charity places would collect them at the end of the month. I know Strathcarron Hospice made a couple of hundred K a year withthis. Now it's finished they've lost a lot of revenue.

I hope they introduce it to Scotland. I think it will give many charities the opportunity to make some money plus making the place tidier.
    Good idea on the face of it but what about people who do put their bottles and packaging in the recycling, seems a ball ache to take these things back.
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Save it in a separate bag and hand it to a local homeless guy or take it to a local charity once a month. No real effort in my opinion.
    I understand and accept that some people hold opinions that are different to my own. Living in a free and democratic society, I fully embrace and respect their right to be wrong.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Save it in a separate bag and hand it to a local homeless guy or take it to a local charity once a month. No real effort in my opinion.
    Bit more effort than putting it in a wheelie bin outside the back door though.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I support this and I would go further and extend this to all glass bottles. The amount of tossers who have a drink of whatever cheapo booze you care to mention that then break the fucking bottles.....Everywhere, on the street, in play areas, in nature walks ect ect it's so bloody mindless and annoying. I suppose it annoys me more due to me walking my dog around the area but a simple 50p or £1 refundable when you take the fucker back to the shop WOULD solve a lot of the problem....most of the bottles i see scattered around the area are dumped by the kind of people who would "miss" that 50p/£1 and would take the stuff back to shop.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beansontoast View Post
    Bit more effort than putting it in a wheelie bin outside the back door though.
    Only if you're a bone idle lazy cunt.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Only if you're a bone idle lazy cunt.
    The system is in place and I pay for it fuck face*.

Let's not piss about with the deposit and return scheme, make the deposit £10 a bottle. Suits me better than a paltry amount.

* Apologies for the fuck face, bollock chops. I'm just responsible with my waste and don't appreciate picking up the bill for anyone else that isn't.
    Last edited by beansontoast; 3rd April 2018 at 11:43 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    I support this and I would go further and extend this to all glass bottles. The amount of tossers who have a drink of whatever cheapo booze you care to mention that then break the fucking bottles.....Everywhere, on the street, in play areas, in nature walks ect ect it's so bloody mindless and annoying. I suppose it annoys me more due to me walking my dog around the area but a simple 50p or £1 refundable when you take the fucker back to the shop WOULD solve a lot of the problem....most of the bottles i see scattered around the area are dumped by the kind of people who would "miss" that 50p/£1 and would take the stuff back to shop.
    Also the same type of people that would mug you for a plastic bottle of it was worth a quid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hang on to those cans and plastic bottles so when the scheme starts you can cash in