Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Anyone had a lawn re done?

Doing up my new house at the moment have have just spent all day breaking my back removing some stones and a large soil pile.

The whole garden needs relevelling and returding IMO. I'm not against doing it myself, buy buying all the gear on day rate to remove old grass, rough up the soil, roll it in, lay sand/top soil and then lay new turf gets me feeling like a big I CBA!

Garden to be done is approx 20ft by 70ft.

I'm probably not going to get much change out of £600/£700 + cost of the turf am I?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Anyone had a lawn re done?

Returding, priceless...

3 Thanks given to BertRoot

dpSparhawk (18th April 2018),  MHP (18th April 2018),  Over Carl (20th April 2018)  

Mummy's little soldier I Black Belt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

It's a lot of work to prepare an area for turf.At best you need to take any stones out of the top couple of inches, which means using a sieve or similar. Then there's the grading to level. Again, devil is in the detail and using just a rake will leave you with low and high spots, even if you can't see them. Instead, you need to use profile boards either end and a traveller to ensure your loose soil is better distributed before you consider turfing it, Soil type also plays a big part on what you choose to lay and the amount of watering etc it needs. - Massive pain in the arse IMO.
    What I have seen, used in anger are the latest versions in artificial turf, it's amazing. Laid on a granular sub-base and pinned in place, you'd seriously never tell the difference between the real thing. They even do it with a weed blend in it to further add to the appearance. Highway authorities are using it on visibility splays and roundabouts as it looks so real and needs zero maintenance. It just needs to be laid in strips in the right orientation so the weft matches.

3 Thanks given to I Black Belt

Ashley (19th April 2018),  BigBrand (18th April 2018),  Over Carl (20th April 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Interesting. I've never looked into the artificial stuff yet. Something about cutting your own grass and the feel of it I love.

Saying that, you'd still need to get a decent level to put it on so I've still a fair amount of prep I gather.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    "That's why I fucked your bitch you fat mother fucker"

Thanks
    Karma Level

Used to have some beautiful turf. From when it was laid Oct 16 (new build so I didn't do or see it) to August last year.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    "That's why I fucked your bitch you fat mother fucker"

Thanks
    Karma Level

I need to do the same thing, we moved into our new home in September and the garden although not in a bad way was not look after so much. The grass is hardy but it doesn't seem to drain at all. I've made the decision the whole thing needs to come up, some better method of drainage laid and then fresh new turf but down. I haven't a bloody clue how to do it (or the time) so will get someone in to sort it I imagine.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by dpSparhawk View Post
    I need to do the same thing, we moved into our new home in September and the garden although not in a bad way was not look after so much. The grass is hardy but it doesn't seem to drain at all. I've made the decision the whole thing needs to come up, some better method of drainage laid and then fresh new turf but down. I haven't a bloody clue how to do it (or the time) so will get someone in to sort it I imagine.
    Same here, back garden drainage is awful. Tempted to try and do it myself but not sure I can be bothered. Also leaning towards artificial which would probably mean having my slight sloping garden leveled.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Mine needs some attention too, it's uneven and patchy in places possibly due to the previous people having a dog. I was going to rake some top soil over and spread some grass seed because I don't have money to spare to have it relaid atm.

Thanks to evilsatan

BigBrand (20th April 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

It might take a bit (okay, a lot) longer but it is definitely cheaper - seeding it yourself. Prepare the ground, couple of boxes of grass seed from B&Q, and Bobs your Uncle, eventually.
    I have plastic though!!

Thanks to Goober

BigBrand (20th April 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Goober, glad I could pull you our the shadows!

I'm going to look at some plastic turf this weekend to see what I like, but I do like the idea of no cutting and looking after like real grass!

Thanks
    Karma Level

If it's relatively even you could level off what you have with sand and returf over the top.
    That's what I did.
    It sat a little proud for the 1st couple of months but took well and settled down quickly with plenty of watering.