Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default VM and Sonarr on OSX? Thoughts welcome!

I currently have my main Ryzen 3 desktop system running Windows 10 with no VPN and Plex Media Server. I have a Win 7 Guest VM I open each morning that has a VPN active within it that runs Sonarr to grab/download/sort my TV Shows as they air - the Plex on the host refreshes and we can access the content on our devices well. I have some family members also accessing but I don't run the desktop 24/7 as it's in the bedroom - I do video editing, coding and whatever else on it.

Yesterday I thought a solution to the issue and picked up a Mac Mini that I'll run 24/7 and store the media on a USB 3 external drive. I might install Win Server 2008 R2 on it but if I were to continue using OS X what options exist to have Sonarr run in the VPN and grab my shows. Same as Windows host - a virtualbox VM? Are there better options?

The VPN I'm using is Windscribe Pro. I don't use the VPN on the host so my normal browsing/downloading goes unaffected.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: VM and Sonarr on OSX? Thoughts welcome!

Sounds like a lot of effort. Can't you get your family members a firestick and install Terrarium on it with a Real Debrid account?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

The current setup we have works pretty well, they've been through various sideloaded apps and whatever on Fire Sticks and Android Boxes but now access my Plex through their Smart TV's. I'm not sure if I'll run Windows Server with Plex and a VM for Sonarr or just do it in OS X.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Brydo666 View Post
    I currently have my main Ryzen 3 desktop system running Windows 10 with no VPN and Plex Media Server. I have a Win 7 Guest VM I open each morning that has a VPN active within it that runs Sonarr to grab/download/sort my TV Shows as they air - the Plex on the host refreshes and we can access the content on our devices well. I have some family members also accessing but I don't run the desktop 24/7 as it's in the bedroom - I do video editing, coding and whatever else on it.

Yesterday I thought a solution to the issue and picked up a Mac Mini that I'll run 24/7 and store the media on a USB 3 external drive. I might install Win Server 2008 R2 on it but if I were to continue using OS X what options exist to have Sonarr run in the VPN and grab my shows. Same as Windows host - a virtualbox VM? Are there better options?

The VPN I'm using is Windscribe Pro. I don't use the VPN on the host so my normal browsing/downloading goes unaffected.
    Have you thought about a docker install? I haven't tried docker myself but like the idea of it:
    https://github.com/Sonarr/Sonarr/wik...allation#macos

By the sounds of it you want a single 24/7 device to run sonarr, plex media server and host the data and you'd like a VPN for the sonarr/sab work but don't want the VPN to mess with PMS. it should be possible to get plex working over a VPN but I had mixed success.

I think you may need a VM on the Mac to run the downloads over a VPN and then have PMS on macOS without VPN. I wouldn't get windows server OS unless you needed it as it is bloated for what you have described, just use Win 7 or 10.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi
    *hard hat on* sorry to keep saying the same thing, but any old pc running unraid OS and you can run dockers and any VMs u feel like.
    LS
    Dear Lord, please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over Standard TCP/IP