Close

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Cat 6 patch lead

Hi
    Is it possible to a normal man to make up a cat 6 patch lead? I have just spent nearly three hours trying to put a cat 6 lead together for IP cameras that require cable feeding through small holes and puting the connecters on. I have the crimper (2 of ) and normal connectors and some two part connector (to make it easy) and cannot do it. I have wasted at least a foot of cable cutting it back again and again and I cannot believe normal hiumans can do this.
    Am I missing something? I now have thumpingheadache and am sat on patio about to have a brealdown :-(
    LS
    Dear Lord, please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over Standard TCP/IP

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Cat 6 patch lead

I remember being part of a team that was massively failing at making up a load of Ethernet leads, but we had all done this before which first made us think we had rubbish cable. But then we noticed we seemed to have a few brands of cable and everyone still had the same problem.

We figured it out in the end, we were using solid core cable in a building that had no windows as it was still being built and the temperature outside was something like -2°C which had made the copper brittle.

Thanks to Over Carl

Lou_smorals (21st April 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

i use cat5 for cameras, cat 6 always seems to be overkill, but to answer your question yes you can put rj45 plugs on cat6 using a good crimping tool, if you are having issues try looking for cat 6 rj45

Thanks to Copex

Lou_smorals (21st April 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

are you using cat6 plugs ?? as there is a difference, cat6 uses a slightly thicker core so if your using cat5 plugs the cat6 wire will be very didficult to fit in the plug

Thanks to pickie

Lou_smorals (22nd April 2018)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by pickie View Post
    are you using cat6 plugs ?? as there is a difference, cat6 uses a slightly thicker core so if your using cat5 plugs the cat6 wire will be very didficult to fit in the plug
    Cat 6 was what I ordered m8, so I hope so- i have given up for time being as life is too short.
    Thanks to all
    LS
    Dear Lord, please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over Standard TCP/IP

Thanks
    Karma Level

I do loads of Cat5E and Cat6 connections for Cat6 you may find it easier to use the 2 part RJ45 connectors which make it very easy for the first timer so to speak

You can also purchase the normal one piece RJ45 connectors which will do both one brand Philex do a single piece connector that will fit both Cat5E and Cat6 without issue

Thanks to digi247

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you have cheap crimps make sure you squeeze really hard, and maybe adjust the ends and squeeze again. Cheap crimps don't always push the pins far enough or miss one or two to the side, a decent set are a bit more precise but are pointless unless you are doing loads.

Thanks to purpleanimal23

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I crimped some cat6 last week for an office wire and used my normal cat5 ends and used my cheap crimps rather than the ratchets and worked fine anthough was trickier than usual as it was thicker cable due to the shielding and plastic core keeping the pairs separated.

What seems to be the problem? You need to make sure the cables butt up against the end on the Ethernet head and that all pins punch down. On my cheaper crimp tool I have to press down real hard like purple animal says. Have you got a cable tester? Terminating network cables takes some knack so it's not just you, keep at it, my first cable termination took me ages to get right!

Thanks to evilsatan

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi
    The problems was getting the eight cables in the correct eight holes - with old geezer eyesight and shakey hands and when stripping off outer sheath kept nicking one of more cable and exposing copper....
    LS

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lou_smorals View Post
    Hi
    The problems was getting the eight cables in the correct eight holes - with old geezer eyesight and shakey hands and when stripping off outer sheath kept nicking one of more cable and exposing copper....
    LS
    That can be a total bitch, I found some cables are too flimsy so getting them in the right order is next to impossible and the other day I was terminating cable that had been ran already (CAT5) and the inner cables were a lower gauge than usual so were loose until terminated.