Close

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Putting a cat to sleep

So our cat has been diagnosed with cancer after discovering a lump on her stomach and given a few weeks to live....

She has also gone completely blind with one eye showing visible signs of internal bleeding.

She used to be a very outdoorsy cat... Hunting rabbits etc and gone for long periods of time. Now she doesn't leave the house and sleeps all day in the same position rarely getting up to eat and drink and for a quick cuddle.

She is 13 years old. She's not in constant pain... Only when her eye flares up and when it does she doesn't eat and doesn't move.

She still likes a hug and purrs away happily but doesn't have the quality of life anymore. We have come to the conclusion that the time is right to put her to sleep. But part of me doesn't want to as she could live out her last few days in relative comfort..... But is it any way of living?

What are your thoughts? Will break my heart to see her go

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Putting a cat to sleep

As hard as it is the only way i feel is to have her put to sleep, having lost my cat earlier this year i know how hard it is but i couldn't bear to watch her suffering.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

We're in a similar position at the moment with our family cat who lives with my parents. A couple of months ago we saw that he was limping but couldn't find anything wrong with his paw or leg nor did he seem to be in any pain, he just got on with it and still went outdoors as much as usual and always came in for food. It got a bit worse so we took him to the vet and they think he may have a growth on his brain and would need to run a CT scan to confirm but because our cat is old and not in any pain we didn't want to put him through that. He is still going out loads but not able to clean himself as well as he used to so has matted fur, he is eating a lot more and will sit on us and if I say over will often sleep on the bed with me.

As soon as we see he is in any pain or suffering it will be straight down the vets as it would be the right thing to do but at the moment he seems happy enough so we'll just keep him fed and comfortable as long as we can.

Can completely sympathise with you, if you know she is in pain at times then as hard as it is I would say you are probably right and the kindest thing is to have her put to sleep. It sounds like she's been kept happy throughout

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

She's had a fantastic life. Very well loved and she sleeps on the bed with me now at night because I couldn't bare the thought of her dying alone downstairs. We are going to make a decision soon. Her brother died last year. He was poisoned and died very painfully in my arms. Just couldn't watch an animal go through pain

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

She was put to sleep 40 mins ago. Cried all the way there and all the way back. Absolutely devastated

Last photo of her

2 Thanks given to CallmeGoose

evilsatan (9th May 2018),  Hippie on hill (9th May 2018)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Sorry to hear that mate but you know you did the right thing and she had a good life. I think ours may have to follow suit soon, yesterday he was very unsteady on his legs so we are keeping a close eye on him but he's still eating a lot and doesn't seem to be in any pain, just looks drunk most the time.

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Well I've buried her in the garden. Our little girl helped. I wanted her involved but she didn't really get the concept of death yet. She just said '' daddy won't she get wet in the ground''

Most heart breaking bit was before I took her to the vets. My little girl said goodbye to her and placed one of her own teddies in the carry box. Said she could have it.

Thanks to CallmeGoose

akimba (9th May 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah so sorry mate, we had to put one of our cats down a couple of years ago he was 19 tho but was heart breaking still having him in your arms until the injection took effect :-( We lost another cat last year he had a cancerous lump on his leg and been too vets for biopsy etc. We decided to have his leg removed as the cancer had not spread but got a phone call from vet saying he died on the operating table from the anesthetic :-(

Some People dont realize how much a part of the family a cat can be as unlike dogs they actually choose to live with you and come home to you for cuddles (and food).

That took us down to 1 cat and the missus was adamant we would not get anymore but a couple of months after we looked on gumtree for cats free to a good home (I dont believe in paying for a cat when theres so many looking for homes via cat protection/search sites etc) and we got 2 brothers who the missus loves to bits she sees it in that are previous cats have handed over the baton to the new ones.

Thanks to akimba

CallmeGoose (9th May 2018)  

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

That's the first time I've ever had to put an animal to sleep and Bury one. Would never wish that on anyone. Little things at the moment setting me off. Having to put away thr carry cage I took her in this morning.... Clean out the remnants of her food bowl. Proper pulling at the heart strings. Keep asking myself if I did the right thing. Could she have had a few more comfortable months?

I think we will have more cats in time. Especially when our little one is older. We have another baby due in a few weeks.... So it's definitely a no for now

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sorry for your loss m8
    Our thoughts are with you and your family

I meant to say last week that you'll know when it's time but it seemed redundant with the advice given, and the way you were talking.
    You did the right thing m8. It's an awful decision to have to make but when the quality of life isn't there it's time to let them go imo

Thanks to Hippie on hill

CallmeGoose (9th May 2018)