Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News New upskirting law blocked by Tory MP

An attempt to make upskirting a specific criminal offence in England and Wales has been blocked by one Conservative MP.
    The government had given its support to introducing the new law earlier.
    But Sir Christopher Chope shouted "object" to the bill, leading to cries of "shame" from other MPs.
    The campaign for the law against upskirting - where photos are secretly taken under a skirt - was started by victim Gina Martin.
    Ms Martin said she was "extremely upset and disappointed" by Sir Christopher's objection.
    But she said she remained "positive and hopeful", having already spoken to him and arranged a meeting to discuss the bill further with him.

Liberal Democrat MP Wera Hobhouse, who brought the private member's bill to Parliament, has criticised the "out-of-touch Tory" for "sabotaging" the bill.
    Ms Hobhouse's bill would have made upskirting a criminal offence in line with other voyeurism offences - meaning offenders could face a maximum of two years in prison.
    Media playback is unsupported on your device

It was expected to pass after justice minister Lucy Frazer confirmed the government would back it.
    But the rules in Parliament mean it only requires one MP to shout "object" to block a bill's progress.
    Ms Martin said: "We knew this was a risk but I now stand with powerful, passionate women and men behind me, and I am confident that Lucy Frazer is committed to - and will - close this gap in the law."
    Ms Hobshouse added: "Upskirting is a depraved violation of privacy. It is outrageous that a single member of Parliament has today been able to derail a much needed and universally supported change in the law.
    "This change would have protected women and girls across England and Wales and given the police the tools to bring the perpetrators to justice. This is too important to allow people like Christopher Chope to obstruct progress on this vital issue."
    The Lib Dem has asked for her bill to return to the House on 6 July.

'I was upskirted at the bus stop'

Debbie was 17 when a man came and sat down next to her at a bus stop, and then started moving closer towards her.
    She says: "I was aware something wasn't quite right, but every time I turned around he pretended to be looking out towards the road where the bus was coming from.
    "You don't always have the confidence to say something, so I stood up and walked away.
    "But when I turned around to look at him he was holding up his mobile phone. It was a video of my bum - he had been trying to video up my dress."
    Read more about Debbie's story and other upskirting victims

Ms Martin started the campaign after two men took a picture up her skirt while she was at a concert in London's Hyde Park last July.
    Police said they were unable to prosecute as the picture was not graphic enough because she was wearing underwear.
    As there is no law specifically naming and banning upskirting in England and Wales, victims and police are currently only able to pursue offences of outraging public decency or as a crime of voyeurism.
    The new law would change that, bringing it in line with other voyeurism offences.
    It would also allow, in the most serious cases, those convicted to be placed on the sex offenders register.
    Upskirting has been an offence in Scotland since 2010 when it was listed under the broadened definition of voyeurism.
    Let's block ads! (Why?)

BBC News

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: New upskirting law blocked by Tory MP

dirty old man

Thanks
    Karma Level

Love a bit of upskirt.

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I think this MP does too.

Thanks
    Karma Level

So before this it was legal?!

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Overdose View Post
    So before this it was legal?!

DJ OD
    As I understand it, the debate was to make it a specific offence. I think it was one of these that it could be prosecuted as other non-specific offences.
    Cheers - Coin-Op

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think fittting natural justice for this situation would be for herds of women to keep following him round taking shots of his crotch. As much as I know that's a totally different situation to an upskirt photo I have a feeling he would find the experience stressful and humiliating.

But sadly it seems that any desire to actually fight back against corrupt/injust goverments over here has pretty much vanished many years ago.

Thanks
    Karma Level

No problem with it being a specific crime, but up to two years in prison is ridiculous.

Thanks
    Karma Level

So does it now mean the pic in the daily sport of Britney Spears getting out a car with her kebab on show will be banned?
    or if its a pr stunt will be allowed ?
    Lots of my repairs and pictures of retro stuff on my twitter.

https://twitter.com/Big_ted1?t=s9zEZ...Z-npEyeKA&s=09

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BIG-TED View Post
    So does it now mean the pic in the daily sport of Britney Spears getting out a car with her kebab on show will be banned?
    probably and the guy taking the photo gets a jail sentance. This will open a can of worms as how far can you go to take that quick snatch photo and its becomes illegal and you get yourself in trouble, the tabloid press have done this for ages

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by flumperino View Post
    No problem with it being a specific crime, but up to two years in prison is ridiculous.
    Why would you say that it's the maximum they could give, just an example of maximum sentences that you would never get custodial on first offence unless there was very strange circumstances
    Voyeurism maximum 2 years
    Soliciting by men maximum 2 years
    Software piracy maximum 10 years

2 Thanks given to Bald Bouncer

BertRoot (15th June 2018),  Over Carl (16th June 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

It's been puzzling me as to what his objection was.

According to Sky its got nothing to do with the subject of the proposed law, he just hates private members' bills and sees it as a moral crusade to challenge them.

https://news.sky.com/story/why-mp-si...fence-11406015

https://order-order.com/people/christopher-chope/
    Last edited by JonEp; 16th June 2018 at 01:59 AM.

Thanks to JonEp

Over Carl (16th June 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Bouncer View Post
    Why would you say that it's the maximum they could give, just an example of maximum sentences that you would never get custodial on first offence unless there was very strange circumstances
    Voyeurism maximum 2 years
    Soliciting by men maximum 2 years
    Software piracy maximum 10 years
    It's the discretionary part of maximum sentences that bother me. I can imagine the first few guilty decisions will end up with hefty custodial sentences in order to 'send a message' to others. Seems to happen a lot with piracy sentences too.

Now upskirting is definitely as crappy thing to do, but a custodial sentence of two years, or even a year, seems really harsh.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by flumperino View Post
    It's the discretionary part of maximum sentences that bother me. I can imagine the first few guilty decisions will end up with hefty custodial sentences in order to 'send a message' to others. Seems to happen a lot with piracy sentences too.

Now upskirting is definitely as crappy thing to do, but a custodial sentence of two years, or even a year, seems really harsh.
    Not sure you understand how it works, they set a maximum sentence that is the absolute upper limit they can give for that offence if they don't then someone can be a serial offender in a certain type of crime and never face a sentence that reflects their disregard for the law, if someone got 2 years inside first offence then it would be swiftly overturned by the court of appeal. The thing they have not mentioned is if it also carries the additional penalty of being placed on the sex offenders register. Personally I would be quite happy to see an offender spend a few months in prison as if it was one of my daughters or wife and I caught them the chances are it would be me getting a custodial sentence.

Thanks
    Karma Level

this is the same cunt that objected to finns law

Government-backed plans to bring in a law to stop people who attack police dogs and horses from claiming self-defence have been derailed.Environment Secretary Michael Gove had supported the so-called "Finn's law", debated in the House of Commons. It is named after police dog Finn, who needed surgery when he was stabbed in October 2016.

But Conservative MP Sir Christopher Chope announced his objection to the proposed Animal Welfare (Service) Bill.

what a cunt hes being paid to sit there and object to common sense law ideas that should enhance our justice system

I say a petition to get him thrown out is in order

cunt

Thanks to pickie

Bald Bouncer (17th June 2018)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I hope his family are ashamed of him i doubt it though, more than likely they're massive cunts like him.

Thanks to ilscuro

Bald Bouncer (17th June 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News Upskirting row: MP Sir Christopher Chope says he supports ban

The Conservative MP who blocked a bill that would have made "upskirting" a criminal offence has said he "wholeheartedly" supports such a law.
    Had the law passed, someone secretly taking a photo up a woman's skirt could have faced up to two years in prison.
    Speaking to his local paper, the Bournemouth Echo, Sir Christopher Chope said he was objecting to parliamentary procedure rather than the law itself.
    The Christchurch MP said he was not "a dinosaur" and was being "scapegoated".
    Prime Minister Theresa May said she was "disappointed" that one of her own MPs had prevented the bill from progressing.

She added that she wanted to see the measures passed soon.
    Sir Christopher said upskirting was "vulgar, humiliating and unacceptable" and said accusations he was "some kind of pervert" were "a complete travesty of the truth".
    "It's defamatory of my character and it's very depressing some of my colleagues have been perpetuating that in the past 48 hours," he added.

He explained that he stopped the bill from progressing because he disapproved of how the legislation was being brought in.
    "The government has been hijacking time that is rightfully that of backbenchers," he said.
    "This is about who controls the House of Commons on Fridays and that's where I am coming from."
    He accused the government of trying to "bring in what it wants on the nod", adding: "We don't quite live in the Putin era yet."
    'Shame'

The bill was expected to sail through the Commons on Friday, but parliamentary rules mean it only required one MP to shout "object" to block its progress.
    Sir Christopher's intervention was met with shouts of "shame" from other MPs.
    His actions were attacked by MPs - many from his own party.
    Scottish Conservative MP Paul Masterton said the intervention did "damage" to the public's view of the party.

What is the current law?

• There is no law specifically naming and banning upskirting in England and Wales - victims and police are currently only able to pursue offences of outraging public decency or as a crime of voyeurism
    • Upskirting has been an offence in Scotland since 2010 when it was listed under the broadened definition of voyeurism

What are the limitations of the current situation in England and Wales?

• Voyeurism only applies to filming actions taking place in private
    • Outraging public decency usually requires someone to have witnessed the action but upskirting is often unobserved
    • Unlike other sexual offences, people don't have an automatic right to anonymity

What does the new law propose?

• As well as carrying a maximum two-year sentence, it would also allow, in the most serious cases, those convicted to be placed on the sex offenders register

Let's block ads! (Why?)

BBC News

Thanks
    Karma Level

What does the new law propose? - As well as carrying a maximum two-year sentence, it would also allow, in the most serious cases, those convicted to be placed on the sex offenders register (answers my question)

MP Sir Christopher Chope has made a career out of blocking back bench legislation in Parliament. The Tory MP, 71, has halted progress on laws about the Hillborough disaster, a pardon for Alan Turing and wild animals in circuses.

Among dozens of Bills he had blocked, Sir Chistopher has also opposed:

• Free hospital parking for carers
    • Making revenge evictions a crime
    • Laws on same-sex marriage
    • Protecting police dogs
    • Careers advice for sixth formers
    • National standards for taxi licenses

I am not myself a fan of rushed legislation that is reactive rather than proactive often ill conceived, counter productive, abused and used for totally different reasons than it was intended (data protection act is a prime example of this) but and it is a big but this guy is a prick as it is never done through any knowledge of the intended law, reading of the proposal or specific objection to the legislation it is purely an arrogant self serving action done because he doesn't like or agree with the process of private members bills some of which once he objects will never be passed regardless of how much they are needed.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

3 Thanks given to ilscuro

Bald Bouncer (18th June 2018),  BigBrand (18th June 2018),  cyprus (18th June 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Fuck sake there goes my camera in the shoe design...