Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Ok, a question about road layout and how you would navigate this junction....

So, there's a road layout here in Liverpool. It's a relatively new layout (few years). The following image is a google maps screenshot with some crudely drawn arrows on it. This evening, I had a disagreement with another driver about how to negotiate this junction. I will explain, with the crude colour coded arrows I have drawn on how I and pretty much every other person negotiates the junction.

At the top of Thomas Lane (where the arrows start), there are two lanes. The way I and pretty much everyone else negotiates this junction is as follows:

A. To go LEFT, or STRAIGHT ON, you approach in the left hand lane (to the right from this perspective) and follow the arrows marked RED accordingly.

B. To take the 3rd exit and the lane that states "LEFT ONLY", I and most others approach again, in the left hand lane on Thomas Drive, and follow the road round as shown with the YELLOW Arrow, which requires no lane change as it's a continuous sweep round.

C. To go RIGHT, or BACK on yourself, you approach in the Right hand lane, follow the LIGHT BLUE arrows and take one of the two lanes marked "AHEAD ONLY" or, the Lane then marked with a Green arrow and "Thomas Lane Nth." to come back on yourself.

So, the reason I ask you all this is because, I approached in the left lane as I always do and proceeded to follow the road around and take the LEFT ONLY lane. A van had been waiting in the right hand lane, as he came around, he took the lane marked "AHEAD ONLY" (the left hand side one), then proceeded to cross lanes into the LEFT ONLY lane thus cutting me up.

So, how does everybody else perceive this road layout? Would you approach and negotiate it the same way I and countless others do by following the yellow arrow around from the left hand lane at the top of Thomas Lane, or would you do it in the way the other van driver did, by approaching in the light blue lane and crossing into the left only lane?

If I am in the wrong (which would mean thousands of other people too), then I hold my hands up and admit my mistake, but I'm interested to read other peoples thoughts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Ok, a question about road layout and how you would navigate this junction....

Most drivers in fact people are selfish ignorant morons. I hate driving because of the low standards of driving.

Remember, there are only 2 types of driver.

1. Those that drive slower than you, Fannies
    2. Those that drive faster than you, Maniacs

Thanks to WillD

dpSparhawk (5th July 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Ok, a question about road layout and how you would navigate this junction....

Looking at the road markings the left lane allows you to bear right and follow the yellow arrow but as above
    When it comes to driving logic goes out the window ;-(

Thanks to akimba

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC Sport Re: Ok, a question about road layout and how you would navigate this junction....

OK, firstly, you have to remember, local users of the road will often drive over junctions in ways which suit:

1. The reguar route of others
    2. The quickest flow of traffic.
    3. Where they most feel comfortable.

That is obviously not always the way the council intend when they draw out the plans and build the junction.

With this junction in particular, I found the arrows on the ground contradicted that of the lane dividers.

I've attached my image.

Working on the logic of the lane markings, not the arrows, there are two lanes entering the junction, the central dividing line then separates a turn left, for people approaching in from the left hand lane of the entry road, and the right side of the divide (after the yellow junc box) allows three lane, one turn right only and two forwards.

That is how I would read the junction looking at the lines.

However, the arrows are to the contratry I feel.

The left hand entry lane, says ahead only, which leads you to believe you can use an ahead only lane once you vear right. Whereas the turn right arrow, leads you to believe you should be then turning right as you go around the bend.

Infact, I think it's telling you tht all three lane on the right of the divider are "around the bend" and then ahead only, isn't around the bed, but leads on to the road on the second left.

It's a shite one, I'll give you that.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (162.9 KB, 23 views)

Thanks to BigBrand

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd say the left lane is probably right but the exit is beyond 12 o'clock so it is confusing and I would say you would both have an argument that could be made. In reality, if you drive roads regularly you tend to get a feel for how to get through most efficiently even if it isn't always strictly right...

Thanks to evilsatan

Thanks
    Karma Level

The correct way will obviously vary depending on if you are in a white van, bmw or nissan micra.

DJ OD

2 Thanks given to DJ OD

dpSparhawk (5th July 2018),  WillD (5th July 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cheers for the responses

This is a junction I regularly drive and dare I say it, cycle too, however most of the time when cycling home, I'm coming from Thingwall hall drive so it's just a case of sticking to the left. I don't drive it due to the fact Thingwall Hall drive has so many cars parked on it, you end up stop start stop start, so I come from the Thomas lane approach.

So in some respects we agree that my Yellow arrow is the most viable route around the junction to come back off the road on the "LEFT ONLY" turn. If you think about it, I'm coming from Thomas Lane, to continue along Thomas Lane so it kind of makes more sense to drive the yellow arrow route.

The guy in the van who approached from the right hand side lane and then cut across the lanes into my exit, insisted that the left lane was a straight on only. I see his argument but surely, it's better for the flow of traffic if they make continuous progression by staying in the lane instead of having to signal (when they do) to move into a different lane. If he tried this during Rush hour, there'd be chaos.

ON a side note, regarding cycling.... head over to the Dash Cam thread in Funny Videos for entertainment

Thanks to dpSparhawk

BigBrand (5th July 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Overdose View Post
    The correct way will obviously vary depending on if you are in a white van, bmw or nissan micra.

DJ OD

haha now come on dude, don't generalise I drive a BMW and I drive it courteously and carefully (I like how it looks too much). I have however noticed a hell of a lot of discourteous drivers since I got it.... I mean a fuck load lol. Previously, in my Mondeo, people would let me out, wouldn't cut me (as much)... now, I'm fkin hated lol. Still, I'm a cyclist, BMW driver, used to drive a vehicle... not doing myself any favours lol....

....although, yeah it was a white van lol and I refer to Micras as "Bingo Buckets"

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by dpSparhawk View Post
    haha now come on dude, don't generalise I drive a BMW and I drive it courteously and carefully (I like how it looks too much). I have however noticed a hell of a lot of discourteous drivers since I got it.... I mean a fuck load lol. Previously, in my Mondeo, people would let me out, wouldn't cut me (as much)... now, I'm fkin hated lol. Still, I'm a cyclist, BMW driver, used to drive a vehicle... not doing myself any favours lol....

....although, yeah it was a white van lol and I refer to Micras as "Bingo Buckets"
    That's just what a BMW driver would say....

Thanks to BigBrand

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks
    Karma Level

As far as I'm concerned you should always follow the lane dividers, which is exactly what you have drawn in your elegant diagram. Regardless of the road layout, if you wish to maneuver your vehicle from one lane to another, it is your responsibility to ensure that the lane you wish to enter is free of other traffic or obstacles. Saying "I expected you to turn off already" is not an excuse to enter a lane without care and consideration for the emerging traffic situation.

Some difficulty can arise when a driver is unfamiliar with a junction layout. A problem can arise when approaching a junction and not being entirely sure which lane you need to be in for a given direction. Usually the arrows on the tarmac give you that information about 10 metres too late, so you can end up in the wrong lane. This is where a little bit of consideration from other drivers can help a lot. Assuming the van driver indicated to give enough warning, it would be courteous of the driver already existing in that lane to understand that we all cock up sometimes and to try to make space.

2 Thanks given to yarmash

BigBrand (10th July 2018),  dpSparhawk (10th July 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Also, if you've never used Greenshot, it's a great program to screen capture and mark-up things. Usually a bit neater than paint and less trouble than importing to powerpoint to add arrows and text. Every object you place can be edited or removed individually unlike paint which has a one-shot system.

Thanks to yarmash

dpSparhawk (10th July 2018)