Close

Thread: First ever car

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help First ever car

Hi gents passed my test on Monday just gone and to be honest I know nothing about cars at all.

Have been looking at zafiras as we have a big family. Seen one today for 650 an ok insurance price. Has just past it's not with two advisories for the tyres. Which I understand is not a massive issue to resolve.

My worries with it are on its last mot it had a lot of fails but it past an mot yesterday. What checks do I need to do and what do I need to make sure I get off the power before purchasing.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: First ever car

I have a reasonable knowledge of cars BUT I always get a mechanic to look over any car i am thinking of getting I would suggest doing the same as they will spot things you won't that are worn or are on their last legs but still allow it to get through an MOT

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I loved my Zhafira when I had a wife and family, lmao
    they all grown up and the wifey well she just fuucked off. so result

I had the 2.0 litre diesel turbo and I loved it, never had any issues with it apart from the brakes would
    freeze in the extreme winter months. its the same engine as they put in the Astras which I currently have

At that price range you are quoting it should be at least an 03 plate, advisories are they to let you know
    that things will need to be done before the next MOT. tyres are easy to sort out and cheap

The best thing I liked about my zhafira was you are elevated slightly higher than the traffic and it feel better

Get a friend or even better a mechanic to look over it if possible

good luck

Thanks
    Karma Level

Echo the above, for your budget you're not going to get much more, S Max etc be more.

But for £50 or so, I'd get a local mechanic to come out and give it a once over for anything to be cautious of.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Had a Zafira once and had my mechanic friend look over it for me.
    I remember one distinct piece of advice before we even went to look at it.
    He said "if it's a 1.6, don't even bother looking at it". He went on about common oil leaks on them and head gasket issues.
    He said these were common on all zafira petrol models but the 1.6 was a complete joke. On the others I guess you better keep an eye on your oil and water.

My 1.8 died from exactly that. Leaking oil and my own fault of not checking regularly enough.
    He told me to get a Galaxy instead and looking back I wish I had.

Just me 2p.

You can also get a Galaxy for roughly same money, just slightly more, but MUCH more room.

When I have run the current motor into the ground that is probably what I will do. Wouldnt get a Zafira again imho.

Thanks
    Karma Level

what age are you, curious to see what insurance cost is for you as a new driver?, my 19-year-old Daughter paid 1100 for her pug 107 1st year with a black box, here 2nd year is around 600 now without.

Thanks
    Karma Level

£650? I honestly don't think you're going to get much for that - you're either going to be in and out of the garage racking up bills or you're going to be sat on the side of the road waiting for recovery. Or did you mean £6500?

No chance you can get more cash? (bank loan as oppose to paying finance etc).

Social Networking Bookmarks