Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Blue Screen Error

In the last few days, I suddenly started having blue screens of death running on Windows XX. I didn't install any new hardware or software, it just started out of the blue. I've been using WinXp for about 5 months and it hasn't had this problem or any problem since I installed it. The blue screen gives the reason as: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL anyone know what this means and how to fix it? The blue screen happens every 5-10 minutes and I have to restart my computer. I've reformatted and reinstalled windows but it still does it. Thanks.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Best first guess is the ram. If you have more than one stick, reduce it to a single stick and try again.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've had that problem with either XP Pro or 2K Pro. I reformatted and reinstalled and it was solved. I made no hardware changes.

Thanks
    Karma Level

looks like an IRQ conflict. Take out some of your PCI devices and put them in different slots but first try working with windows without any in order to diagnose.

Thanks
    Karma Level

...I think simply going to your device manager and checking if anything's wrong there would help too.

I would suggest, as in all bad computer situations, to think back on what you did before you first started having this error...That usually helps you find the answer quicker.

Also, since you said that you don't get this error in WinXP, why not just keep that?...Personally, I'm planning on getting it too, what with sp1 and all...Plus, I really wanna get those Detonator 40.xx drivers...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by Big D.
    ...I think simply going to your device manager and checking if anything's wrong there would help too.

I would suggest, as in all bad computer situations, to think back on what you did before you first started having this error...That usually helps you find the answer quicker.

Also, since you said that you don't get this error in WinXP, why not just keep that?...Personally, I'm planning on getting it too, what with sp1 and all...Plus, I really wanna get those Detonator 40.xx drivers...
    All I can think of what I did in the last week is install a new Thermaltake Smart Fan II...however I wouldn't think that would be a problem. I've been using Windows XP for 5 months and I still am using it. I meant that the problem happened in Windows XP for no reason even though I've been using it all that time. Oh well I guess it's not so bad...it'll give me a reason to upgrade once XP 2400+ and 2600+ come out.

Originally posted by PLtNmHeLiX
    looks like an IRQ conflict. Take out some of your PCI devices and put them in different slots but first try working with windows without any in order to diagnose.
    I was thinking that too since the message said "IRQL" but it's kinda hard to switch my pci slot device since I don't have any heh. I'm thinking it's probably a conflict with my onboard AC '97 sound and onboard ethernet LAN. I checked msinfo32 and it showed that both used the same IRQ however I don't have a way to change them so I'm kinda stuck.

Well anyway thanks for your help guys. I'll see if I can't fix it and if I can't I'll just take it to the local computer repair shop and have him do it for 20 some odd bucks.

Thanks
    Karma Level

one more thing I'd suggest is to ask in: overclockers.com forum at http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/index.php. People are really knowledgeable there.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks alot for the link PLtNmHeLiX. Did a search for IRQL and found plenty of threads on the problem and now my computer is working fine after doing some of the stuff that they said.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just a side note... that "IRQ not less or equal" (or whatever it says) error doesn't always mean the problem is in the IRQs. I had a memory problem that produced that same blue screen, that's why I suggested removing ram.

Thanks
    Karma Level

im curious.... what was some stuff they told u to do and what worked?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have the same problem before so I remove the ram and put back the card and let the computer cool down.

Then I figure out is the CPU fan that is not doing it's job...too slow..so I think you should chk on ur new fan too...because if it overheats...it would do that or reboot itself which is really annonying when you are doing ur paper.

Thanks
    Karma Level

One of my sticks of ram went bad like Phreaker47 said. Must've blown out the night my computer started BSODing. I tried the 256 in by itself and the 512 by itself and the 256 wouldn't even boot my computer. However the 512 works perfect.

Thanks
    Karma Level

yea, i dont think it has much to do with the IRQs most of you are thinking about.

This is the most common BSD found in XP or 2000. It could be many different things.

I had this problem the first time i installed XP, and it ended up being an outdated BIOS. So, i upgraded it, and it has worked perfectly ever since.