Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default some newbie questions...

hi there

I have pIII 1 ghz in a asus 370 socket motherboard which doesn't have AGP ports so I have to stick with its intergrated 3dcard (SIS 16mb yuuuukh). So now I've decided to buy a new motherboard and a 3dcard. No new prosessor since I guess that the pIII will live for a year, there aren't any games that require more than that. Also I have 256 mb ram which i am pretty satesfied with...

The problem is that I don't know which motherboards support pIII. Is it only 370 socket, and btw what does socket mean? and which one should i buy, i actually only need 2 AGP ports rest is ok, and it also has to fit my cabinet... I know these questions are quite newbie... if it's possible, give me a link to a page which gives information about this kind, in UNDERSTANDABLE ENGLISH for a guy from Norway (in addition to ur help of course )

I am thinking of buying Geforce 4200ti 64 mb. It's quite good and not too expensive. But while searching i found Asus Geforce 4200ti and Point of View Geforce 4200ti, are there any differences between these two or is it only different producers?

And over clocking cpu and 3dcard cpu, what is the cheapest and/or best way to overclock these components? I know of watercooling, but that sounds expensive, isn't it possible to do it with a good fan?

Thanks alot for reading
    hope it didn't become too long

Khan2k

Thanks
    Karma Level

Socket is the "place" where you plug your processor in. AMD sticks to Socket A with all their processors, it's good, because you don't have to change the mobo if you change the processor of vice versa.
    Intel changes their socket with every new processor. When you buy a motherboard search for one with Socket 370.

And about the gpu. I offer Albatron GeForce 4 ti4200-p Turbo. You can easily overclock it to gf4 ti4600 levels and more

Thanks
    Karma Level

I would recommend you get a new processor as well as new other components. You say no games need more then your processor but that's actually not true. The "minimal requirments" may say you need less then what you have but you will never get a game running nice and graphics looking decent. So maybe go with a new AMD processor as well. I would say go with the Asus GF4 you were talking about it's a nice card for the money. No motherboards (or very rare ones) come with more than one AGP slot so I dunno what you were talking about. Even if you knew what you were talking about why would you want to buy more AGP vid cards then you have to.

I don't know what motherboards I can recommend, just go to a manufactorer's site and check out some socket 370 motherboards. The ones you need depend on what motherboards you can buy in your region. You mentioned an Asus vid card, so check out Asus: http://www.asus.com for a list of their motherboards, they make reliable motherboards.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I KNOW that my cpu sux, but I dont have money, if I had money i wouldnt be asking these stupid questions

So u suggest that i should wait for money than buy the stuff, I will get some real money which i can spend on these kind of stuff in about 2 months, I should wait???

Thanks
    Karma Level

Your problem with the CPU is....
    If you buy a new motherboard for your socket 370 processor, that will be solve all your problems now.... but in a few months time when you want to upgrade your processor you will find that you can't upgrade your processor very much without getting yet another motherboard!!!

If you don't want to wait ... I would upgrade to a "socket a" motherboard, and also buy a cheap ass processor (the AMD XP1600, can be brought for about £40 - the same price almost as a retail game). Then in a few months (when you have the cash) you can just simply replace the processor for something more juicy!

Otherwise, wait! None of the new processors use socket 370. So buying a new S370 is a waste of dosh.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by Fro
    yes, just wait till you get more cash together then upgrade the whole thing.

something else i forgot to mention, was if yuou get a new cpu/mobo to go with a new agp videocard, you're gonna have to get some new ram also
    not if he buys a socket a with support for sdram

Thanks
    Karma Level

ok

But i do have PCI slots on my mobo, should I just buy a good enough PCI 3d card and live another year. And when I have enough money, upgrade the whole shit? BTW how much would a good enough PCI 3d card cost?
    If I do so I wont have to buy new cpu or mobo, only a damn PCI 3d-card
    I just want ordenary graphics so I can play most new games without problems for another year. not the best. Do u think that a PCI card would live another year? or r they already dead?