Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Flinty, i guess you didn't play all the crap that came out for the n64 and snes

I did play some of them on other folks ninty consoles but nothing impressed me, Which is why I,m not a ninty fanboy as i said i,ve never had any of there previous consoles. Between the 2 consoles IMO gamecube wins hands down especially where games and playability come into it. after all whats the point in having all the muscle processing power when u cant embrace it.

flinty
    Last edited by flinty; 20th December 2002 at 11:44 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by flinty
    Between the 2 consoles IMO gamecube wins hands down especially where games and playability come into it. after all whats the point in having all the muscle processing power when u cant embrace it.
    So flinty which games do you feel embrace all the "power"?

Thanks
    Karma Level

well compare the specs of the 2 systems, xbox wins this race, now with that amount of processing power you would think they could come up with something better than halo, splinter cell, bruce lee oh I could go on with a list of endless garbage but I wont, now as you can see i,ve used the above games halo, splinter cell, deliberately as these seem to be the the benchmark titles for xbox, Now gamecube in all its humble gekko glory produces games like Star wars r.leader, resi evil series, metroid prime, starfox adventures, just but a few to mention, now can u tell me how many games on xbox can actually match any of those graphically the longevity or playability ? Ok so nintendo doesnt have many titles out at present, but they would rather release a few quality games than a shit load of garbage, I dont have the "my consoles better than yours attitude" I just like debating about the differences and what others have to say Its good to get feedback this is what makes forums interesting, and who cares whether $ms would kick our butts out of there offices, they dont give a toss about there customers (never have ) so I feel a little obliged to slate them if I feel

BTW: I do have an xbox its used as book stopper at the moment, I have some very heavy encyclopedias

Flinty
    Last edited by flinty; 21st December 2002 at 12:44 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

>Its good to get feedback this is what makes forums interesting, >and who cares whether $ms would kick our butts out of there >offices, thay dont give a toss about there customers (never >have ) so I feel a little obliged to slate them if I feel .

And nintendo do ? MS gave me 2 free games and a controller after they dropped the price - didnt have to.

Nintendo - given a record fine for price fixing last week !

Nintendo - no plans for online gaming in europe.

How many games dont get released here from nintendo but are out in japan ? I read the cube forum your always waiting for this or that to be released over here for months on end.

MS gets knocked alot for window etc but xbox wise I think they have been better than Sony and definetly Nintendo.

You may like or dislike the games at your discression, but forgetting about anything that MS does outside of the Xbox - they seem to actually know Europe exists.

time for a MS tatto on my forehead LOL

Cheers
    Ironman

Thanks
    Karma Level

MS gave me 2 free games and a controller after they dropped the price - didnt have to.
    granted if thats what turns u on but I would rather have a game that was worth giving away, and hey you really dont think they were giving you that controller and game out of the goodness of there heart do you ?? Nobody is that naive, they did it simply to boost sales as they know the xbox is falling below there expectations. Granted I agree we Europeans do get stuffed by ninty and that is the only thing that used to annoy me until I bought an Import gamecube, Now its not a negative to me.

time for a MS tatto on my forehead LOL

LOL LOL LOL I like it

Flinty
    Last edited by flinty; 21st December 2002 at 01:08 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Now gamecube in all its humble gekko glory produces games like Star wars r.leader, resi evil series, metroid prime, starfox adventures, just but a few to mention, now can u tell me how many games on xbox can actually match any of those graphically the longevity or playability ?
    Lets take these one at a time:

Star wars r.leader: Graphically nice - however playability wise it sux. Its certainly no Xwing, Tie fighter, xwing vs tie fighter etc.

resi evil series (lets take re1): Technically cleaver - it not so much that the gc is the only console to push this many polys or anything - its just cleaver use of lighting, static backgrounds etc. Still the same game it was playability wise from the PS1.

metroid prime: can't say nowt as i haven't played it - i'm sure it will be good though.

starfox adventures: wah? wasn't this used by nintendo fan boys to bash rare leaving over the head with. neither technincally or playablity wise is it amazing.

Splinter graphically is amazing..and technically cannot be done on any of the other home consoles. The lighting effects are out of this world. Playabilty wise, i am one for my counter terrorism games (rainbow 6, ghost recon etc) so love it to bits.

ralli sport: technically again an amazing racer, the way the light shines through your wheels. Personally i rate this far better than CM3, and it is the driving game i play the most.

halo: without doubt the best fps shooter ever for me. technically it is great, playability wise it is amazing. It has now become my most played game ever (above mario kart 64 and SBM) - and i must regularly put in about 12 hrs a week - and have done since it came out (thats longevity and playability for you)

I will agree that there is too much shite coming through with the xbox (although i'm certain if you look at the % of games released, the gc fares the same). However the ps2 reigns king of shite games.

So going back to the original point - why are we debating which console is better? who gives a hoot. I have both to balance the gaming genres, nintendo for the platformers and xbox for the driving and fps stuff.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Flinty, its true that there are loads of crap games out for xbox and not as many crap games out for gamecube. however, i reckon your real arguement is about the quality of developers working on the system & not the system itself.

Developers such Namco, Sega, Tecmo & Digital Illuision have shown they can utilise the system much better than others. (i think RARE will be added to that list soon hehe..)

Its like giving Terry Venables the job as Arsenal manager, they would struggle to finish in the top 6

Thanks
    Karma Level

So going back to the original point - why are we debating which console is better?
    why do we bother debating anything? this is what makes forums what they are.

halo & splinter cell the best graphically you say, I cant believe anyoneone would put splinter cell down as a graphically superb game, as I said I bought xbox for this game alone and regretted it bigtime, this game sucks in every department graphically i would have said slightly better than dreamcast, playability 2-10.
    mysterym at the end of the day its all down to personal taste, but I would put money on gamecube outselling xbox in future, especially now that its down to £99.

Splinter graphically is amazing..and technically cannot be done on any of the other home consoles
    so basically your saying gamecube & ps2 couldnt cope with splinter cell ? thats sounds a little biased dont u agree. the game is far from amazing both graphically and playwise so even the ps2 should be able to handle it.
    Last edited by flinty; 21st December 2002 at 01:33 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

so basically your saying gamecube & ps2 couldnt cope with splinter cell ? thats sounds a little biased dont u agree. the game is far from amazing both graphically and playwise so even the ps2 should be able to handle it.
    yawn flinty don't take my word on it:
    ign If you didn't know already Splinter Cell has some of the most impressive lighting effects, character models and animation ever seen in a videogame.....Revolutionary. Splinter Cell has raised our expectations for what kind of lighting and animation can be done on Xbox

gamespot
    It's easy to see why Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell is one of the most highly anticipated Xbox games of the season. For one thing, it features some impressive production values, including hands down the best lighting effects seen in any game to date.. that flinty reckons a dc can do

Thanks
    Karma Level

I still dont understand why these cube vs xbox converstation keep springing up - not that I dont enjoy a bit of intgelligent debate mind you

But why are they so nearly alway started by people who like the cube and not the other way round ?

1. Cube owners are younger - I cant beleive this is really a factor esp. on the DF forums - most likely HorseSh*t.

2. My personally theory - The Cube is a good console with a lot going for it but the sides of it other that the technology are holding it back from its true potential. This seemed to be nintendos problem with the N64 as well (which I own). A couple of fantastic games that prove what it can do and then very little for months on end (esp. in europe) - It was extremely fustrating for me last time with the N64 and I suspect that there are a lot of hardcore gamers who have got a cube and are secretly getting a "oh sh*it here we go again feeling" about the cube like they did with the N64. Nintendo only work in the gaming industry unlike Sony and MS and there market is extensively in Japan and I think they know this and hence we suffer. This makes for a unhappy gamer.

Then you look at MS releasing what is basically a PC with little apparent effort going into it getting its games from PC games makers and not dedicated Console Developers. Which then proceeds to outsells the cube in europe and has MS fanboys swanning around saying there jonny come lately "Console" is better than the Cube - they mod it and play online and get home brew and play DVD, DIVX and MP3's and get a hardrive. Cube owners are like - ITS A PC I HAVE ONE OF THOSE WHY DO I WANT ANOTHER!!! ? Which, by the way, is only a good point if your PC is in your lounge and has a 32" monitor and very good 5.1 sound speakers.

Its like the cube is a real musician like *please insert you favorite real musican here* (I am going to go for Moby) and comparing them to the Xbox as S Club 7.

It took me a while to see this and I am sure its not exactly correct and probally completely off for somepoeple - but I get a feeling that its got nothing to do with games anymore there are good titles on both machines and I notice that you never get PS2 owners having a go at either console (probally as we all own one by now LOL).

I can see this feeling going on for ages as with the offical launch of XboxLive (which I have played and rocks) in March and the increased sales of Xbox in europe and such bad sales in Japan, nintendo selling badly in europe and very well in japan - they will stop trying to win here. I have read a lot of happy posts in the Cube form about how badly MS is doing in Japan compared to the cube but thats not going to make it go away and unfortunetly it will damage support for Cube here unless nintendo change and I cant see them doing that.

Phew that was a long post! I really hope Cube doesnt go the way of the N64 - Its cheap and powerful and I willl buy one if its strong next year, but I wont let nintendo make me envious of other consoles for simple things - like how long do I wait for my next good game to come out - like I was when I had my N64.

(By the way all of this is irrelevant as I like halo alot and wanted to play Divx to my TV so I had to get a Xbox.)

Cheers
    Ironman

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks
    Karma Level

yawn flinty don't take my word on it:
    I aint just taking your word for it I,m saying first hand after playing the game, as I said I bought the xbox solely for this game after watching the commercial as it looked very impressive on T.V (well dont they always,) I fell for that one. Impressive lighting effects dont make a game great, if u want to see great lighting effects just look at metroid prime No awkward controls in this game either. The xbox has the potential of being a great console so why so much crap is released on it beats me, maybe RARE can sort something out for it

Halo for the first couple of levels was inspiring to say the least but gets so repetetive and seeing the same layouts as previous levels starts to get a little boring, the depth of this game just doesnt cut it for me. IMO if xbox starts to get some decent developers taking there time on games instead of run of the mill garbage it can be a big winner, but until this happens mine will stay as a book stopper

Flinty

Thanks
    Karma Level

Mumble mumble bad graphics...my aunt fanny......
    Dear oh dear, take away the lighting effects in this game and u have a dreamcast, why is that folk seem to think good lighting effects makes a good game, ok nice eye candy but no depth or originality here, the graphical detail of splinter cell is very shallow take away those nice lighting effects and u have very normal game. It takes a little more than eye candy to convince me that a game is great.

Flinty
    Last edited by flinty; 21st December 2002 at 03:13 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Why xbox will win

It boils down to one thing IMO....

You can chip an xbox

Game comparisons, cost, design are all bollocks when you can buy a game off your dodgy mate for a fiver.

Let me see..... 1 game for forty quid or 8?

Obviously not every house will have a chipped machine but most people who own an xbox will know at least one person who has one chipped and they will rave on about the latest game they have to their mates and that will be in ther minds when they go to buy one.

PS2 is still outselling the cube and xbox combined why?

User Base size
    Backward compatibility
    You can chip it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

you have hit the nail on the head gel ps2 obviously winning simply cos of the head start it had, if the cube becomes hacked believe me u will see the sales rocket.

Flinty

Thanks
    Karma Level

Gel,

Once a machine gets hacked, you lose interest quickly in it.

Whereas buying a game gives you more incentive to play it for longer than 30 secs, a dodgy version seldom lasts as long since you get more bothered about getting each one rather than playing them.

Folks, getting your machine modded may be a great way to sample all the games - but trust me when i say you'll get bored of it a lot quicker.

My GC is staying the way it thank you very much.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I do agree to a to a point there, as I have so many ps2 games I,M so spoilt for choice i cant be bothered to play any, then again there aint that many quality games 4 ps2 any way. or putting it another way I can count on 1 hand how many ps2 games i like playing.

flinty

Thanks
    Karma Level

I dont understand how you can Sayi things like

"take away the lighting effects in this game and u have a dreamcast, why is that folk seem to think good lighting effects makes a good game"

This is switching argument mid comment as you we are talking visuals not gameplay - the points are differents. No one said good graphics make a good game (although they can help).
    Besides how can you "take the lighting effects away" ? Strange way to look as a game graphics esp on a game that is about hiding in the shadows - if you take away the higher textures the xbox does it will look like a Atari2600 but its not really a valid point - take away the 5.1 sound (which of course you cant on the cube as it doesnt have it - thanks Nintendo) and the sound is similar to a zx80. Proves nothing.

Final point on the visuals - check the advert and the screenshots -and make up your own mind - game is a more personal issue but the visuals are stunnging nuiff said.

Any thoughts on my last comments on Nintendo though and Cube going as N64 did? And is Metroid prime got a solid release date in uk yet ?

cheers
    Ironman

Thanks
    Karma Level

you have hit the nail on the head gel ps2 obviously winning simply cos of the head start it had, if the cube becomes hacked believe me u will see the sales rocket.

Flinty
    Dude, I wasn't making that comment for you to turn it around, even if the cube is hacked to buggery there still isn't enough games to fuel a jump in sales and it WILL fail if it doesn't get a sharp injection of titles

I don't think any console out of the xbox or cube is doing well, I picked up 20 copies of Dave Mirra 2 on the xbox from my suppliers this week for £5.50 each, new and sealed.

Burnout on the Xbox, new and sealed, £10

There is a load of surplus stock out there stagnating and I don't think sales are as good as people like to think they are....

i.e.

F-Zero on the Gameboy Advance, new and sealed £2.50....
    Legends of Wrestling on the Cube...New and sealed £5...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Dude, I wasn't making that comment for you to turn it around
    Turn what around ???

look dude if flaming me is what your wanting then forget it, been there bleached the T. shirt etc etc,(u know after all those beer stains ) :cheese:

Flinty
    Last edited by flinty; 21st December 2002 at 08:31 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast