Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default MY Afterburner & Dimmer Chip Install

ok so I installed my AB and Stealth Chip this weekend just gone.

It wasn't without problems!

Started off ok until I got to step 6 of the manual and realised I had to cut the case (should have read the manual fully before starting!). So had to nip out to Robert Dyas and get meself a Dremel (£40 with 65 accesories). Got back, cut down the case, bit of a botch job, but luckily its all hidden behind the screen plate. At this time it was getting late on Sat night so chucked it in ready for fresh start on the soldering Sun morn.

I got my stealth chip pre-soldered to make it a bit easier seeing as this was my first 'real' attempt at soldering! It didn't help that my solder iron was fux0red. The soldering didn't go as bad as I had anticipated TBH. The only problem with that was I had left the wires at their full length! (see pics below).

Ok so far so.. ok. Time to re-assemble. Got it all back together thinkin I had done a real good job considering. I remembered to take off all the film from both sides of the AR film AND the AB. Stuck the batteries in, fired it up. LIGHT! it WORKED!!! AND THE DIMMER WAS WORKING! I was shocked, really didn't expect it to go so well on the first attempt.....

Hold on... My Excitment was a bit premature. On looking closer it seemed that when the light was on... I couldn't see anything on the screen! hmmm So I came to the conclusion that I had stuck the AR film on the wrong way round. Out came the screws, off came the old AR film and on with a new one. This time double checking it was on the right way. Put it back together, fired it up... Same Problem! Doh! So after fcuking around for a bit... Malt came to the rescue AGAIN and pointed out that i'd put the AfterBurner in the wrong way round!!! Duh!, so Out it came, had to cut the other side of the case, flipped it over, put it back together and hey presto! The light now works as it should...

Great you say! Nope! now the stealth chip doesn't work! By this time I'd had enough. So I've left it for now with the light being perm on. I guess I must have snapped a wire when fiddling.

Thought i'd share that with you all... I'd deffo recomend the Afterburner, looks sweet! Big thanks to Malt once again for helping me out!

http://www.wize.demon.co.uk/gba1.jpg
    http://www.wize.demon.co.uk/gba2.jpg
    http://www.wize.demon.co.uk/gba3.jpg
    Last edited by wizer; 20th January 2003 at 11:54 AM.
    Photography: Nikon D50 - 18-55mm, 70-300mm, 105mm Macro, 2 x 2gb SD Cards, Jessops Tripod, LowePro Rucksack

Thanks
    Karma Level

glad you got it working mate !!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cool! im glad it got sorted in the end...................After a few days you will wonder how you ever put up without one!!!!