Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Bret Hart interview

Did anyone see the Bret Hart interview on wrestling channel on monday night?

I thought it was pretty good, I thought some of the stuff he said was to the point although he does not really go into depth about things like how he got screwed. From what I can gather he got screwed by vince at some pay per view out of the title just before he was due to leave to go to wcw?

On his last day he punched out a writer?

He said in the interview (well not seen all of it yet just 55mins) that no one knows how Owen died and Owens family all turned on each other as a result of this and vince playing them off against each other.

For such a thing to happen is bad enough but for it to happen to a family steeped in wrestling is just something else!

I found it interesting as well about the meating with vince in the park and how mcmahon had the whole park bugged lol

What was the situation like between taker and owen hart? Were they close and that this maybe a reason why taker hates Russo as he was the writer for the show that Owen tragicly died?

It was also interesting the way Bret was talkin that WCW GM Eric Bischoff did not know what he was doing that sounds bizarre.

What do you guys think?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Bret Hart interview

your talking about the Montreal Screwjob mate, google it, plenty written about it, basicially Bret's contract was up after the show, wouldn't drop the strap in Canada, agreed with Vince to drop the title on Raw the next night, Vince wasn't willing to take the chance and when Bret was in a sharpshooter Vince called the match, Bret then lost it, writing WCW with his fingers in the air, then going back stage and smacking Vince one, look for "Wrestling with Shadows" for a behind the scenes look at the issue

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I take vinces side how can he take the chance of leting hart goto WCW with the belt too much too lose.
    "Your proposition may be good. But let's have one thing understood
    Whatever it is, I'm against it! And even when you've changed it Or condensed it
    I'm against it!"
    A top man

Thanks
    Karma Level

agreed, and it led almost directly to turning Vince into Mr. McMahon, no matter how much you hate him that character saved the WWF/WWE

Thanks
    Karma Level

But what vince done was illegal. Hart had a creative control clause written into his WWF contract, so that meant if bret wanted to walk to the ring wearing a gimp mask and have YMCA blaring out over the pa system then he could. If the Hitman didnt want to drop the title to HBK in canada then he didnt have to.

Fair enough that Vinnie Mac didnt want to risk seeing his main title trashed on WCW tv but he had worked with Bret Hart for decades and should have been able to trust him.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cheers Clareman for pointing me in the right direction. Just read an article on it last night and it was very well wrote discussing the leadup to this and the aftermath.

I have to say after reading that and finding the promises that Vince made to Bret and how long they new each other and after watching the interview with Bret that I have to agree with G man, Brets contract allegedly had that agreement where "reasonable" sugestions had to be done. Vince claimed it was not "reasonable" for him to not drop the belt on the night he chose.

I think that Bret was not wanting to leave but Vince made it clear he had no option but to leave and was constantly trying to change his contract. I think for the sake of a couple of days the belt could have been left with bret and gone with what they had originally agreed.

I think that the only reason Bret did not want to drop belt was it was in his homeland country and he wanted to go out on a high and personally I think for the work he done and the way he conducted himself he should have had his wish granted.

I think the way Shawn acted was terrible and no wonder when he goes to canda now he gets the reaction he gets.

I did not know it was goldberg that ended his career and judjing purely by what was said in that interview goldberg really did not know how to wrestle and did not care about what he had done.

I find it totally amazing and sureal that a wrestler of Brets standing and ability will never be able to give anything back to wrestling now due to injury and the way he was treated leaves a sad reflection of a truely great wrestler.

To think Vince has even reneged on allowing him access to his old footage / pictures as well is terrible the man is a icon in the industry.

What do u guys think?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Gandalf you have definatly gotta get your hands on a copy of the documentry 'Wrestling With Shadows'. It gives a great insight into the whole montreal thing as there was a camera crew filiming a documentry of Bret up to and including the night in question.

Thanks
    Karma Level

wonder if it is out in the newsgroups will give it a look cheers g man

just checked them out nope out of luck ah well guess I will just need to keep trying

edit just managed to find somewhere that has it so probably in a few days I will watch it
    Cheers for pointing me in that dvd way.
    Last edited by gandalf72; 23rd March 2005 at 11:13 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I remember an interview with Nash (great source I know!!!) years back and he mentioned that 1 of the big differences between WCW and WWF is that in the WCW the workers were allowed to decide whether to keep the belt or even get the belt, but with the WWF Vince always held the right to choose his champions. Also, I always thought that creative control allowed the wrestler to decide what his character did, not what they won, i.e. Bret wouldn't have to wrestle a hog pen match if he deemed that it impacted his character

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by -G-Man-
    Gandalf you have definatly gotta get your hands on a copy of the documentry 'Wrestling With Shadows'. It gives a great insight into the whole montreal thing as there was a camera crew filiming a documentry of Bret up to and including the night in question.

Just finished watchin that now WOW that is one hell of a documentery! I see what you guys mean it just re enforces everything I originally thought after the interview and reading that website after help from clareman.

Shows their really is no depth Vince wont go to! I just dont understand his arguement about him thinking he was going to take belt to wcw if at the screw stage their was still 2 weeks left of his contract and bret openly saying he would never take belt to wcw how Vince or Why vince would not honour his word to Bret

Thanks
    Karma Level

So glad you watched that doc on Bret Hart, Watched it years ago and honestly thought Vince was a piss of shit for a while after.

Bret Hart is a true Legend and decent guy, he would have never took that belt to WCW and broadcasted it on their show, thats not Bret Hart and Vince should have known that!!!

I also loved watching old Stu making 6" something guys scream like girls and slapping them around whilst doing it... class!!!

Also Vince walking from his office once Bret smacked him one, stumbling past a pre-belt hog HHH!!!

Great guy and awesome documentry, crying shame!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yes I could not believe how stu managed to get those guys at his age in the documentery to be in so much pain.

It was also interesting how they used to tape people crying or in pain to background music when they were kids sicko's lol.

I also thought it was interesting to hear that they were bullied as kids as the last thing you would have thought would have been taking the mik out of a person that could put you in some dangerous moves or at very least painful sub moves.

it was also interesting the point where trip h was in coridor with his sidekicks next to him getting shreds tore off of them by Brets missus.

I am still well hacked off with the way he was treated the more information you find out about this incident the sadder you feel for Bret.

He was a man the had principles and believed in right and wrong and with what we got now in wrestling it just proves how right he was back then.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by daz73
    I also loved watching old Stu making 6" something guys scream like girls and slapping them around whilst doing it... class!!!
    you forgot to mention the fact that Stu was telling them to 'have some displine' while he was bitch slapping them!!

that had me in stiches when i first saw that!