Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Hard drive fault? -Constant 'clicking' upon boot up: Please help!

Hi there,

I've got a problem with my 2nd hard drive, in that when I disconnected and subsequently re-connected it, all I get from it now is it not being recognised at boot up, and a constant 'clicking' or 'turning over' from it, as if it's trying to access data.

Drive 1 is a 6 Gb drive , and the problem drive is a 40Gb, which has no operating software on it.

Even when the 40Gb is connected on its own to IDE1 on the motherboard, it still makes the noise/won't recognise.

It was working ok earlier today, and now this, so if anyone can offer any advice, it would be much appreciated - thanks!

I am now running Win2k Server, and earlier today was using WinME, so that may have something to do with it, but surely it's not the operating system, as it doesn't even get that far?

I also installed the Win2k, without the 2nd drive connected - could that affect things?

Many thanks in advance
    Last edited by Kingbee2k; 15th March 2003 at 01:03 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Your drive has what is known as the "click of death", in laymans terms this means the drive is fcuked.
    This has nothing to do with what OS you are using, it is pure hardware failure.
    Understeer is when you hit a wall with the front of your car
    Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the back of your car
    Horsepower is how fast your car hits the wall
    Torque is how far your car sends the wall across the field once you've hit it

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks Pegasus, you've confirmed my worst fears - do you happen to know how this might have happened, or is it just a fault which can happen at any time?

Thanks a lot!

Thanks
    Karma Level

The CoD can happen at any time, however certain IBM drives are particularly fond of springing it on you unexpectedly

Thanks
    Karma Level

Many thanks - it is indeed an IBM drive, re-badged to 'ExcelStor'. The middle chip on the back has 'IBM' printed on it.

Thanks a lot - your help is much appreciated

Thanks
    Karma Level
    @Kingbee2k
    All IBM drive should have a three year guarentee as do ExcelStor check out http://www.ibm.com/uk/ and http://www.excelstor.com for Warrenty information

Thanks
    Karma Level

All new IBM and Maxtor drives only seem to carry a 1 yr guarentee, I had an IBM Deathstar 61.4Gb pack up on me at the weekend, apparantly IBM are advising customers not to use their EIDE HD's for continual use applications such as busy web servers etc or people who d/l stuff 24/7, f**kin w@nkers.

Luckily when I bought the HD it had a 3yr warranty and is only 14 months old so hopefully in about 2-3 months I might see a replacement, in the meantime I've bought a new Western Digital 120Gb with an 8mb buffer as it's the only one I could find with a 3 year warranty.

Hopefully the other 2 IBM's i got will last a little longer................

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Had this exact problem with my 80gig Western Digi Drive and lost 60 gig of data

RMA'd it and received a reconditioned drive back very quickly from them with a brand new 3 year warranty

Pretty annoying but couldnt fault the service.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yep IBM hard drives are the pits.
    I have just had my fourth drive in 12 months fail.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Hard drive fault? -Constant 'clicking' upon boot up: Please help!

ive had clicks on my hard drives for months now irritating (ive got 3 satas connected) ididnt realise that satas had jumper connectors so i swapped the jumper to the opposite side as i dosent have a slave\master diagramme on drive and now runs like a dream, i left the main hard drive jumper where it was

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Failure is imminent with any clicking hard drive. Changing jumpers will not prolong its life.

Changing the jumper may change the way the arm swings, but it doesn't mean the scratch on the platters has gone.

Thanks
    Karma Level

It's stopped clicking since I changed the jumpers and every time It clicked it froze for awhile ,now it doesn't click or freeze, after six months of clicking id of thought the drive would of failed by now , worked for me not saying it will work for everyone,and it's not driving me mad anymore

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Just make sure nothing important goes on it.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

id be making a backup while you can

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

6 Thanks given to Mobileman

Ashley (2nd November 2014),  cassy34 (3rd November 2014),  DejaVu (29th November 2014),  Delboy_1976 (2nd November 2014),  muttleymacclad (2nd November 2014),  Teajunkie (2nd November 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

You have to use a tool that gets you the info from the S.M.A.R.T. database while it's running. It'll tell you what sort of errors have taken place with the drive if the drive supports S.M.A.R.T. In the event that your drive clicks at one point non stop, then works fine at another point, you might have a faulty power supply. I've had this issue with a power supply. The connected drives would click nonstop and not be detected or operate very slow and click every now and then. I didn't end up swapping the supply, just used the molex power connector (and IDE to SATA power convertor cable) instead of the SATA power connector from my power supply.(Maybe the 3.3V wire wasn't supplying perfect 3.3V and messing the drive up. That wire is rarely used in hard drives anyways.) HD Tune Pro is a nice non-invasive SMART monitoring tool. But it's a limited trial.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Hard drive fault? -Constant 'clicking' upon boot up: Please help!

Quote Originally Posted by Mobileman View Post
    I'll say it again lol

Anyway after 11 years drive is probably goosed

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mobileman View Post
    I'll say it again lol Anyway after 11 years drive is probably goosed
    Actually I have a 10 year old sucker that still operates full speed and has no reported errors in SMART. PATA drive. I thought that that info would be useful for anyone else browsing the forums with click issues.

Thanks
    Karma Level

ive had clicks on my hard drives for months now irritating (ive got 3 satas connected) ididnt realise that satas had jumper connectors so i swapped the jumper to the opposite side as i dosent have a slave\master diagramme on drive and now runs like a dream, i left the main hard drive jumper where it was

just an update after 4 weeks ,drives still running with no errors or freezes