Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Harddrive won't boot, get "Disk Error"??

Help please.

I've just got and ATA-100 PCI controller to make use of my old maxtor 17Gb ATA-66 transfer rate as my MOBO only supported ATA-33. Had a bit of trouble initially installing the ATA-100 card in Windows 2000. After having found the card as a RAID/scsi controller I then installed the drives like it asked for. This seemd to work no problem. The I restarted and now it won't boot, all I get is "Disk Error-press any key". Have removed the ATA-100 card and plugged the HDD back into it's old IDE port on the MOBO and still get the same message. Has the boot sector somehow been damaged?? I can boot into dos from a floppy and can still see all the files on the HDD but when I run scandisk it says 1 of the filenames is too long and has an error on it? Could I have had a virus??

Can anyone help, I'm getting desperate.

Mazz

Thanks
    Karma Level

Try repairing the install via Windows 2000 setup as that will allow you to replace the boot sector as well as the system files...

Also the boot.ini file could require altering once this is sorted to get the system to boot on the new IDE controller - to confirm you'd need to do a parallel install on the disk and compare the entries in boot.ini
    Go shagging in Prague or live it large in Vegas !!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Have tried repairing using the windows 2000 4 boot disks(set-up), but it says it is unable to repair without a recovery disk which I do not have. What is this??
    Has my boot.ini file been altered via the installation of the new IDE controller which is causing the boot problem?

Thanks,

Mazz

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by mazfg Have tried repairing using the windows 2000 4 boot disks(set-up), but it says it is unable to repair without a recovery disk which I do not have. What is this??
    Has my boot.ini file been altered via the installation of the new IDE controller which is causing the boot problem?
    The recovery disk contains a copy of the registry as well as a couple of key files..

Have you tried booting off the CD??

If you say you want a new install then point it at the same directory as the existing install it will repair that in terms of system files etc..

Have you tried a parallel install?

And no, the boot.ini is not automatically changed but the new controller could be changing the ID's which is causing the system to fail to boot, although that would give you an error relating to ntoskrnl.exe
    Last edited by Aido; 15th April 2003 at 11:15 PM.
    Go shagging in Prague or live it large in Vegas !!