Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default buying an xbox, got a few questions..

hi, i am thinking of buying an xbox. i have got a few questions, yes i have looked at www.xbox-scene.com but it does not seem to awnser all my questions.

1) i understand that there are differnet versions of the xbox, i have heard of 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 however what is the difference? . i am thinking an x-excuter 2 pro is the chip to get? will this work on all models. i assume if i buy a new xbox(maybe limited green model) i will get a v1.2??

2) anybody who has used the xbox media player, could they tell me how good it is? i would like to play SVCD, VCD and DivX on the TV can i trust the xbmp to play everything?

3) if i buy the xbox live kit can i play backups online, i understand i have to disable the chip or else i will be banned. but can i boot up a backup and then dissable the chip, to play on xboxlive?? or can i only use origonals on xboxlive?

thanks tom, fairly pi$$ed.
    Last edited by tagy; 18th April 2003 at 03:25 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

1) i understand that there are differnet versions of the xbox, i have heard of 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 however what is the difference? . i am thinking an x-excuter 2 pro is the chip to get? will this work on all models. i assume if i buy a new xbox(maybe limited green model) i will get a v1.2??

Yes, the green xboxes are most probably xbox 1.2's
    you will not need the options of xecuter2 pro if you are asking about it - it is mostly for software programmers etc
    the xecuter2 lite is the chip most of the general punters use

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) anybody who has used the xbox media player, could they tell me how good it is? i would like to play SVCD, VCD and DivX on the TV can i trust the xbmp to play everything?

You can trust xbmp with your life - it plays..
    vcd, svcd, mpg, wmv, mp3, divx, xvid, vob and most other kinds of media it is very good, lip sync always great with divx movies and even crap quality mpegs look a little better on your tv

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3) if i buy the xbox live kit can i play backups online, i understand i have to disable the chip or else i will be banned. but can i boot up a backup and then dissable the chip, to play on xboxlive?? or can i only use origonals on xboxlive?

Ok here goes-
    You CANNOT play backups online as when you disable your chip you cannot play backups. There is no way unauthorised software will play on LIVE i'm afraid. You have to use originals and make sure you get a switch on your x2!

Thanks
    Karma Level

gotta agree with harry about media player...its the mutz nutz m8... my stand alone be out of a job lol,,,and as for playing divx!! wicked...so many films out there in avi format that fit on one cdr!! but v1's wont play cdr so ya dont want one of those

Thanks
    Karma Level

the new green xbox's should have the samsung drive in them
    THE drive for cd-r

Thanks
    Karma Level

yeah would have thought so.. would have been silly for them to retro fit an old drive!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have a feeling these will end up at around 99.99 soon
    as logn as they arent very LIMITED editions

Thanks
    Karma Level

£99.99...not a priced to be sniffed at mi thinks,,,,,true value for money!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Stop making assumptions about what models/drives will be in xboxes its all pot luck and anyone telling you any different is misadvising you. As for the chip in 95% of the cases an xecuter 2lite serves all purposes as the pro is designed for people who like to programmed and develope home of thier own .
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

only thing i can garentee is that if ya go buy a xbox from shops now it will play cdr!!..not sure on model names of drives... but all the v1's i have enconterd have not been able to play them!! was machines made afteraug 2002 i think, anything before this date wasnt playing them....as a general rule that is lol...watch peeps pop saying mine does lol..
    drives arnt a probs as they was avalible at our local pc fare fo 25 quid (i got one for mine as its a v1) lad box is a l8r one so has smiley drive in..... both got huge hdd's in now though

Thanks
    Karma Level

wow big thanks everyone. very helpful

think i will go for a green one with an X2 lite or pro, not decided yet.

ill let you know how i get on. tom.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by zot1uk
    only thing i can garentee is that if ya go buy a xbox from shops now it will play cdr!!..not sure on model names of drives... but all the v1's i have enconterd have not been able to play them!! was machines made afteraug 2002 i think, anything before this date wasnt playing them....as a general rule that is lol...watch peeps pop saying mine does lol..
    drives arnt a probs as they was avalible at our local pc fare fo 25 quid (i got one for mine as its a v1) lad box is a l8r one so has smiley drive in..... both got huge hdd's in now though
    You cannot guarentee that, only 2 days ago my mate purchased 2 boxes one was a v1 with a thompson drive and the other was a v1.1 with a samsung, that guarentee is worth jack. All the xboxes v1, v1.1, v1.2 will play cd-r media if the drive will read it simple as that. if your lucky you will get one of the later manufactured box and may get a samsung drive. However if they one you buy got left at the back a few weeks then moved from place to place, you could well end up with a v1 with an 8gb and a thompson.

Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see, my old man used to say, and he was a magician.
    CR0W - CrowTech Systems

http://crowtech.netfirms.com

Thanks
    Karma Level

oh well thats that then... sorry guys....i was told same info as i told you...i followed said info when fetchin my first box (was told to look through hole in box to look at manufacturing date) if older than aug 2002 then forget it as no cdr , i got one l8r than said date and mine was ok, friends have also stuck to machines built after this date and also ended up with cdr playing machines...maybe we all just lucky ,sorry for any miss leading information guys (dont wanna get flamed no more).. was just wot we been told round here!!

ps my second xbox i swopped for my modded ps2 so hadnt a choice of what date made lol