Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Dynamic PHP or ASP

Hi,

I have 2 hostings at the moment one on Unix and one on Windows 2000.
    I have designed the artwork for my site and am currently pondering content display.
    Here is what I am pondering:

I want to make my page quick to load, I hate nothing more than clicking a link on a page, and having it load all the images that where on the original page again, like the menu etc.

I was wondering if there was a way to create just one page, say the index page of a site, and when a user clicks a menu link, instead of the whole page reloading again, just a portion of the page reloaded again, similar to using frames, but instead using a content html/PHP/ASP page, because I hate frames and they easily confuse me.

I have seen things like header and footer pages in asp, could I do a header and footer, then just have a centre content or centre layer that changed? ie when clicking a link it called a different content page from a database of content pages or summat.

I can do the artwork side of things no problem, but the linking on all the pages can be very laborious, and if in the future you change one link, you have to go through every page and change it again and again...

I know learning a language like PHP or ASP seems a bit drastic just to avoid using frames, but, I think, i'm gonna have to learn it sometime if I want to make this into a career, so why not now?

Thanks
    Karma Level

as long as the images are called the same, have the same size the browser should reload them from the cache rather than sending a request to the web server. A browser does not care what the web server is doing, simply returning a HTML page, or executing a Perl, PHP or ASP page. All it cares about is that it gets some standard HTTP message headers and a HTML page.

If your browser is reloading the images each time, then its probably your browser settings or you are doing CTRL+F5 to force a reload of the page.

If you have a high number of images, then you can use other techniques to load in low resolution images and then after the page is displayed you start to load in higher resolution images (using DHTML).

Thanks
    Karma Level

That'd be fine for the images, but that's not really all I want, I want to be able to create just one page, like an index page, and when a link is clicked the text on that page is changed dynamically and called from a database. This I think would make the page so much faster to load and would enable me to only have to change a link once instead of loads.