Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

I dont want an F****ng extended warranty!!!

Has anyone tried buying anything worth more than £20 from a high street electrical shop.

They all try to pressure you into getting a (Mostly Useless) rip off
    extended warranty deal.

I when into my local Comet (I know these are almost as bad as PC World!) but the price for a new camera was not bad
    and had a Gadget itch and didnt wan to wait for delivery
    to order one from the net!

I new he would ask and just came up with an excuse, no thanks
    I have a mate who is a camera enginer!

Reply: I doubt he would be able to fix it! (how does he know my mate might doesent work for the manufacturer or an approved repair centre!)

So I said well no thanks, I dont want a warranty thanks.

Then basicaly gave me a lecture on why I should have one after bnasicallt telling him that I dont want one twice.

And I always though the customer was right.

From now on thats it I, am boycotting ALL the shops that do this and I am either going to by my stuff online, or go to shops
    that dont pressure you for a rip off extended warranty.

There was a recent report by an industry watchdog that stated than the majority of the warrantys are a rip off and only things like expensive plasma and TFT display warrantys are worth getting because of repair costs. And the retailers do it as a good
    money spinner!

The only good warranys I have seen are from richer sounds they aren't a bad deal! 5 year break down cover on a DVD
    player for £19.99!

I am sure this must annoy loads of people, a mate of mine bought a radio from a shop and they tried pressuring him into a warranty, and it was about £1 cheaper than the radio he purchased so he said "if its that expensive I may as well just by 2 radios and keep one in the draw , in case the other breaks!

The cashier just stood there and looked confused she couldn't work out that if he bough 2 it was better deal because he would have an instant replacement avalable for the same price!

Thanks
    Karma Level

heh... u should have said "look m8, either u stop asking if i want a fucking warrenty or we fuck off and buy the goods elsewhere."

bunch of money grabbing *******s.

Thanks
    Karma Level

"If it's gonna break down that often, surely you should be advising me not to buy it?"

"Are you admitting all the stuff you sell is crap?"

Thanks
    Karma Level

I had exactly the same $hit from Dixons last year (The Dixons Group own PC World, Currys, Comet, etc).
    I decided I wanted a laptop for chrimbo and found one that was fully loaded (Tosh Satellite 5200-801), this was only available through certain retail outlets so off I go to Dixons and they have to order it (3 day wait).
    Laptop arrives and I get my £2,500 to pay for it. Then I hear those immortal words "Would you like an extended warranty on that sir?" The sales assistant tells me it is only £499 and covers everything, etc. He continues to badger me for some 20 minutes until I inform him that if it breaks down after the 1 year warranty has expired then I will simply throw it down the stairs and claim off the house insurance.
    Anyway, I get the laptop home and the very next day the DVD burner packs up after 6 burns. I take it back and have to wait another 3 days for a replacement to arrive from their central depot (they don't keep this model in stock as it is quite expensive apparently). The replacement arrives and is faulty straight out of the box (it only happens to me), so I decide I have had enough of this and get a refund.
    I then go down to Tottenham Court Rd and purchase the same machine (they had this one in stock immediately) and am duly offered the same extended warranty with Toshiba directly. I ask how much and am told it is £130 inc VAT (which I duly bought).

Bottom line is the Dixons Group are a bunch of rip off (unts.
    How the hell can they offer something for £499 when you can have it direct from the manufacturer for £130??
    Understeer is when you hit a wall with the front of your car
    Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the back of your car
    Horsepower is how fast your car hits the wall
    Torque is how far your car sends the wall across the field once you've hit it

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Crappy Extend Warranty's

I though other would also have a bone to pick on this issue I find
    nothing more annoying and blatantly rude to be asked to part with more money when you are already making a purchase
    specially if your skint at the time!

I have just checked the price of the camera I bought, and I could have got the camera for £22 less with some free photo retouch software, a mini camera tripod and this even included next day delivery.

From

www.internetcamerasdirect.co.uk

Next time I will definately buy online, there are so many reputable shops on line now, with no pressure for
    a warranty! and annoying and zitty sales assitants!

Rant over! - going to play with the camera now !

Thanks
    Karma Level

ive had this shite with them forcing warrenties on you, and exactly the same they ask, i say NO 5 min later they ask again are u sure sir, i say yes i dont want it.

anyway after the third time asking he had knocked a £100 off the price trying to get me to sell it, i said m8 i dont fuckin want it.

so does anyone know how much the reps get from the sale of the warrenty, just shows how much they are really worth if a normal sales rep can knock a ton off the askin price just like that, just got me wonderin how much of it they actually get from the sale of it.

tossers piss me off and £499 for a £130 warrenty m8, jesus christ that IS a piss take, you should have gone back the shop and asked them y they are ripping people off and said u got it for £130
    Through the darkness of futures past. The magician longs to see.
    One chance out between two worlds. Fire Walk With Me.

Thanks
    Karma Level

off a 500quid warrenty, very little mate 15quid at the most
    Better Dead Than Smeg

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by marcode
    heh... u should have said "look m8, either u stop asking if i want a fucking warrenty or we fuck off and buy the goods elsewhere."

bunch of money grabbing *******s.

that's exactly right mate!!!! ....... and you should have also got the wankers full name and written to kingfisher head off and complianed, just to get him/her into trouble.

They are obliged to sell the extended warranties but pushing it onto and belittling (sp?) you when it's turned down is another thing altogether!

I worked at comet for 7 years, nothing surprised me by the time I left that shit hole of a place, once they even tried ripping me off for £800 worth of shares that belonged to me!

money hungry *******s all of them :/ ............

Thanks
    Karma Level

I brought a PC pnce from Tempo - They offered kept offering me the warrenty I kept saying no, in the end - He gave me the warrenty for nothing and took the price of the warrenty off the price of the PC!!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by freaky
    so does anyone know how much the reps get from the sale of the warrenty, just shows how much they are really worth if a normal sales rep can knock a ton off the askin price just like that, just got me wonderin how much of it they actually get from the sale of it.
    it varies allot from product to product , spivs (bonuses) they dish out can be as little as £2 for a 3yr instant replacement warranty on sda (small domestic appliances) like kettles, toaster, shavers, etc and right upto £50+ on large white or brown goods, top of the range tv's and washing machines, fridge freezers etc.

the sales people do get ALLOT of pressure to sell these warranties, if they don't sell them they will loose their job! sounds hard but imo it's a shit life unless you're a cnut that like to stitch people up and get off on it.

every friday each store gets a data bag (right now most store managers will be sifting through thiers over a cup of coffee and a bacon snadwich lol), most weeks it will have a new list of which "special" products the staff should sell ie; for this week if you sell the creda 35763 tumble dryer then you get £30 cash in your wage packet at the end of the month, AND if the store sells a certian amount over a certain period they could win £500-£1000 extra to share out! It's incentive selling!!!!!!!!!! So Joe public goes in to buy his hotpoint tumble dryer that he's read up on and feels is the right choice but the shark (that's what you get called if you're a ruthless sales rep) sells him the £20 cheaper one just to get HIS bonus and as he has talked the customer around to buying a product he's not necessarily wanted he tries for the extended warranty too, and more than likey gets it if the customer thinks he's saving £20.

( ....... the tumble dyer Joe originally wanted was £130 and the warranty is another £30 for a 3yr cover. The sale would have been £160 which gives the sales rep maybe £3 comission plus Joe probably wouldn't have even bothered with the warranty either, the sale rep doesn't want this, he has $$ signs in his eyes! So earlier when he looked at the spiv list he remembers the cheaper creda one at £110 and talks Joe round to getting that instead cause "you'd be saving money Sir!" then as he's "saving money" he talks Joe into taking out the "5 Star extended warranty" again "cause you'd be saving money and for total peice of mind Sir!" ...... so £110+£30 = £140, Joe thinks he's getting a bargain (maybe he did) but the sales rep just made Joe spend £10 more than he was going to and also made £33 out of him instead!

it's a real cut throat bussines!

and comet isn't part of dixons groups it's kingifsher, they are permanently at war with the dixons group trying to undercut each other lol
    Last edited by ffrr; 27th June 2003 at 10:53 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

thats really surprised me, i thought as they try so desperately hard to force the warrent on you that they got a big part of it.

But yeah ive seen shit like that on the tele on watchdog and other such programs where they force the staff to do all kinds of shit to get a sale, jesus id hate to work in an eviroment like that where your under pressure to do well by rippin off the public.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I love it when friends or family ask me to go along with them to PC world and the others. Those spotty little Oiks that think they are gods gift soon back off when the realise they are trying to bullshit someone who actually knows what he's talking about.
    I have to be honest, I almost consider winding up these useless morons a sport!!
    Have you seen the money these guys get paid? If they were in any way half decent at their job they certainly wouldn't be working at PC World.
    The extended warranty issue is a real dodgy one. It makes me really angry when you hear them spinning the line to some poor old punter who obviously doesn't understand the first thing about technology and is easy fodder for the scare mongering that these guys punt. I'm pretty certain that the way they sell these warranties must contravene some sort of consumer protection law - maybe someone who's expert in this field could answer that?
    DONUTS :) ------ Is there anything they can't do ??

Thanks
    Karma Level

.. oh I also forgot to mention they get commission for selling goods on credit terms to, it's another money spinner for them as most people forget to pay up within the alloted twelve month period and then they get get stung badly for interest, even it it's a day over the receipt date! Dealt with a few angry customers over that a few times lol .......

in general extended warranties are not really worth the money, imo, BUT only if you have a dogs bollox household insurance policy, there's no need to take an extended warranty, next time a salesman/woman offers you a warranty then say you have excellent household cover and I guarantee they blag you with some story saying "well that's all very good but it wont cover this and this and this, etc" LOL ... it really gets under their skin, and then to get one up on them tell them your insurance is with "domestic and general" or "eagle star" these were the two main insurers for kingfisher at the time when I was there, ahahah see what they say then when you tell them!

also another thing most people don't know is that EVERY product legally sold in the UK must have a warranty card of some kind when purchased, 9times out of 10 we chuck them away, who wants a piece of cardboard huh? LOL next time read it, fill it in and send it off, trust me. About 2-4 weeks later you'll get your registration details back with a letter telling you what to do if any problem should arise under the guarantee period, at the end of the year you'll get a letter from, most probably, domestic and general (everyone has had one of these at some point if you have ever bought a tv/vcr/dvd player ;) ...) offerering and extended warrany, and it'll be half the price of the one you got offered at where ever you got the product to begin with!

Thanks
    Karma Level

yeah ive had loads of them letters m8 tellin me the warrenty is about to expire, and your right they ARE half the feckin price.

i bought a sony wega from comet and he was doin the speil about the warrenty i said no, 4 times he asked me, i just said no m8 ill wait for the letter at the end of the year, then he was givin it all shite about how it wont cover this and wont cover that.

tossers

Thanks
    Karma Level

Extended 5 year warranties are like drugs

Just say no !!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by Woops
    I'm pretty certain that the way they sell these warranties must contravene some sort of consumer protection law - maybe someone who's expert in this field could answer that?
    The government are currently looking into the whole area of extended warranties. Sit back and watch the sh*t fly real soon, especially regarding Dixons & Kingfishers groups.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I always make a point of saying "I want to buy this and I DONT want an extended warrenty on it - if you ask me about extended warrenty once then I will buy it else where - ok ?"

I normaly get a bit of a funny look but it works :-)

I bought a washing machine from currys saying this and when the sales rep went to ask the manager to sort it out he came over and asked about extended warrenty - I just shook me head and walk out the shop, went to comet and bought one there lol

oE.

Thanks
    Karma Level

asda gives warranty free with all the none food things you buy
    3yrs for tv ect just take it back 2 1/2 years later and tell them it's wrong colour to get new one or money back beat that