Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default [F1] European Grand Prix

Ralf Schumacher wins at home

Yet another chapter in the 2003 season of gripping Grands Prix was written at the Nurburgring this afternoon. An incident-filled race finally ended in a clean-sweep one-two finish for Williams as Ralf Schumacher comfortably led home team mate Juan Pablo Montoya. The result earned the Anglo-German team 18 points and moved it ahead of McLaren for second place in the constructors' world championship.

That was the final sting for McLaren, on an afternoon when Kimi Raikkonen looked to be heading comfortably for his second Grand Prix victory until his engine blew up spectacularly on the 26th lap when he was almost five seconds clear of Ralf and Michael Schumacher.

To add insult to injury, McLaren also lost David Coulthard within sight of the finish. The Scot had been pushing Fernando Alonso, who looked to be struggling under braking, hard for fourth place throughout the closing stages. On the 57th lap Coulthard jinked left on the approach to the chicane to pass. Alonso defended his position and Coulthard, presented with a slowing Renault, chose to swerve right but put a wheel on the grass and spun spectacularly into retirement in a gravel trap.

That incident played further into Michael Schumacher’s hands. After a slow start lost him second place to his younger brother, the world champion was in contention until his second pit stop, after which he found himself being challenged by Montoya for second place. On the approach to Turn 7 Montoya got a good run on Schumacher and slipped ahead on the outer line. As Montoya turned into the corner, Schumacher ran up the inside kerb, but then appeared to run wide. As the Ferrari's front wing tagged the Williams' right-hand sidepod, the Ferrari spun and became momentarily beached in the gravel until three marshals and an interloping fan helped to push him clear. Thereafter Schumacher appeared set for sixth place until Coulthard’s retirement earned him an extra point. By the flag he only just failed to catch Alonso for fourth.

Behind them Mark Webber used intelligent strategy to bring his Jaguar home sixth, with BAR’s Jenson Button and Sauber’s Nick Heidfeld (who started from the pit lane) taking the final points.

"The car was perfect all afternoon," Ralf Schumacher said after the race. "And I cannot remember a team doing such a good job to turn itself round after the start of a season."

It was indeed an impressive performance, but it was hard not to spare a thought for Raikkonen, who could so easily have regained his championship lead.

I didnt watch the race but I just saw on the news that Shitmacher got 5th but I also saw him stranded on the gravel and pushed back into the track. Surely that has to be illegal ?
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nice to see another win for williams. It was sad to see Raikkonen's retirement as he was having a great race.

I missed the Schumacher incident, but I would have thought it was illegal for someone to give him a push? I'm sure the other teams will have something to say about that.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I just watched this again on the news. Four guys pushed him out of the gravel back onto the track now surely that cant be legal. I was always under the impression the cars had to renenter the track under thier own steam and without any third party help. Because he came in 5Th hes managed to to increase his points lead over Kimi which cant be correct can it ?
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

Thanks
    Karma Level

legal ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Fro mwhat I understood from what the presenters said on ITV, as long as he kept the engine running, he was allowed to be puched back onto the course. If he'd have stalled it, he'd have been out.

Apparently this happened to someone a few years ago, and they then went on to win the race
    I am a loud man with a very large hat. This means I am in charge

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by big man
    Fro mwhat I understood from what the presenters said on ITV, as long as he kept the engine running, he was allowed to be puched back onto the course. If he'd have stalled it, he'd have been out.

Apparently this happened to someone a few years ago, and they then went on to win the race
    I find that totally wrong ! One of those guys inst even a marshall . F1 is always boasting about team event but Marshalls and crowd members lending a hand cant be correct as they arent part of the team.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Lo all these are the regulations that this comes under.

(taken from the FIA website for F1 Sporting Regulations)

"150) If a car stops during the race (except under Article 142c) and d), it must be removed from the track as
    quickly as possible so that its presence does not constitute a danger or hinder other competitors. If the driver is
    unable to drive the car from a dangerous position, it shall be the duty of the marshals to assist him. If any such
    assistance results in the engine starting and the driver rejoining the race, the car will be excluded from the results
    of the race."

So it does look like shitmacher will get away with it again
    I was well chuffed when he spun off and not Montoya

Thanks
    Karma Level

as usual schumacher cheated and got away with it. Though it was a great race and I loved it when Montoya overtook him and shitmacher spun it lol
    If it don't work hit it with a hammer, if it still don't work hit it with an axe