Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Quick homejob cb aerial ???

Before i start. I am a newbie and never used amature radio exept for pirate fm radio...

Anyone help me out, i want to make an easy homejob cb aerial..
    Anyone any advice on wether this will work... mounted on the side of a house (up the wall)....
    Im on top of a hill and would put this on the side that faces towards the areas id like to tx/rx too....

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    For a quickie CB antenna, a vertical dipole (1/2) wave can be made right from the coax itself You take your coax and very carefully, without nicking the braided shield, strip 102 inches of the outer insulation jacket off one end. After removing the outer jacket, start bunching the shield down the coax from the end. Now, where the outer jacket and the shield meet, separate the braided shield enough to get the inner conductor out through the hole in the braid. Pull all of the inner conductor through and stretch it and the braid out. Be careful not to skin any of the insulation off the inner conductor. Now attach an antenna insulator to the end of the inner conductor. Measure the braided shield. Cut it off at about 106" and attach an antenna insulator to the end. The total length of the inner and outer conductor should be about 17 feet (1/2 wave). You can haul it up to any height you want with a string or rope attached to the insulator on the center conductor. It's a good idea to coat the end of the coax cable where it separates with some kind of waterproof sealer. This keeps water from seeping into the coax, which could cause a high SWR.

Just attach a coax connector on the end of the coax going to your transceiver and you are on the air. The SWR should be 1.5 or better, if cut to the proper length. It'll get out about as good as a ¼ wave ground plane CB radio antenna if you get it up high and in the clear. Do not hoist this antenna up next to a metal pole, because the metal will interfere with the antenna's operation and cause a high SWR.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah it will work,but its a bit of a bodge job m8.
    Remember to check for shorts and I would go a little longer, then trim them down.
    G...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cheers m8
    U dont have any idea how to build a better one do u?