Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Green light to smoke pot

:thumbs

by STEVE DOUGHTY, Daily Mail
    12th September 2003

Cannabis users were controversially freed from the fear of arrest yesterday.

As David Blunkett began the final stage in downgrading the drug, police chiefs issued guidelines on how to handle those caught with it.

Officers on the streets will be unable to arrest anyone for possession of cannabis as long as it appears to be for their own use.

They will merely record the incident and confiscate the drug.

Plans for a "three strikes and you're out" system have been abandoned and, crucially, police have been given no guidance over how much of the drug makes someone a dealer.

The Association of Chief Police Officers said anyone caught repeatedly would also be arrested - but gave no figure for how many offences it would take to qualify.

The changes - bitterly criticised by anti-drugs campaigners and MPs - mark the most liberal approach by any Government since cannabis use became common in the 1960s.

Under the new rules, coming into force in January, anyone smoking cannabis in public will still face arrest, as will people under 17 found with the drug and anyone in possession of it near schools, youth clubs and children's play areas.

But hundreds of thousands of others will no longer face prosecution, heavy fines or possible jail sentences.

There were immediate warnings that official tolerance will be seen by millions of young people as an invitation to sample the drug.

Official surveys already show that nearly half of all 15-year-olds have tried cannabis and there are fears that many more will now take the hint that using it is acceptable behaviour.

Critics say many will move on to more addictive and potentially fatal drugs.

There were also warnings that the guidelines are so woolly as to be almost impossible to put into action on the streets.

Shadow Home Secretary Oliver Letwin said: "This is the worst of both worlds. There is a case for legalisation, and there is a case for getting people off drugs. What there is not a case for is making them semi-legal."

He added: "I know I can't easily follow the guidelines and I don't suppose anyone else will. All it will do is cause confusion. That's not the fault of the police. It's the fault of the Home Secretary."

Mr Blunkett's move follows the experiment launched in Brixton, South London, in 2001 in which users were not arrested.

Independent research has since cast serious doubts on its effectiveness, but the Home Secretary and some police chiefs remain convinced that allowing officers effectively to ignore cannabis and concentrate on "hard" drugs helps them tackle more serious crime.

Sir Paul Beresford, Tory MP for Mole Valley and a former council chief in Wandsworth, South London, said: "I feel very worried by this. I would have thought the experience in Brixton and liberalisation in Amsterdam would have made clear that if you have laws against this drug you should enforce them."

He added: "Where cannabis is tolerated, the people who sell harder drugs move in."

Anti-drugs campaigners complained that Mr Blunkett has taken no account of recent research linking cannabis to mental illness and serious physical health problems.

A study by the Institute of Psychiatry last year found that cannabis users were seven times more likely than non-users to develop mental illness. Its authors warned: "The link is now clear. It is something society needs to think about very carefully."

Anti-drugs campaigner Mary Brett, a grammar school teacher, said: "This can only make the problem of cannabis use worse. It will bring other problems like the use of cannabis by drivers."

Mr Blunkett first indicated last year that he planned to downgrade cannabis from Class B, with amphetamines and barbiturates, to Class C, alongside the growth hormones and anabolic steroids that are common among athletes and bodybuilders.

The change was originally scheduled for this summer but appears to have been delayed by worries over how new police rules should be framed.

Yesterday, however, Mr Blunkett introduced a draft order for the change in the Commons. It is scheduled to come into force on January 29.

Simultaneously, ACPO announced its guidelines for the new system.

The Home Secretary insisted that reclassification was not the same as decriminalising the drug.

"The Government is determined to support the police in tackling the problem of drug abuse with an effective and realistic approach," he said. "Cannabis will not be legalised or decriminalised. It is a harmful drug that is illegal and will remain illegal.

"The change in classification will enable the police to target Class A drugs such as heroin and coca1ne which cause the most harm to users, their families and communities."

The ACPO guidelines contained just 600 words, but an additional document explained that setting a "personal use" limit would simply lead to dealers carrying around amounts just below the limit.

It would also be difficult for officers to determine weights or quantities on the street, it said.

The police chiefs insisted that anyone tempted to celebrate the new regime by smoking cannabis in the street would still face arrest.

"The smoking of cannabis in public view is not in the spirit of re-classification," said an ACPO statement.

"Such flagrant ignorance of the law has the potential of undermining the illegal status of possession of a controlled drug."

The Association's spokesman Andy Hayman, Chief Constable of Norfolk, said: "Officers will still have a power of arrest for simple possession.

"But in the spirit of the Home Secretary's decision to reclassify cannabis, the new guidance recommends that there should be a presumption against arrest."

source
    Dont drink and drive smoke grass and fly

[URL]http://www.dylanstrust.org.uk/[/URL]

Thanks
    Karma Level
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

so wat do people on df think?

2 b honest I'm not sure about it, maybe time will tell.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm not really bothered cos I don't use it, but almost all my m8s do, so they will be happy with it!

Thanks
    Karma Level

I smoke weed, have done for years, im not happy with this though, seems to be a half arsed attempt to look like your doing something about it and maybe win a few younger votes.

I smoke weed all the time, smoked it on the street loads of times and never been caught, have you?

I wonder what the statistics for people caught in possesion are actually like.

We need someone with balls in power, someone brave enough to see past all the outdated old fogies who protest against stuff like this and legalise this quite harmless "drug" once and for all.

Thanks
    Karma Level

How can they say stupid crap like this man it infumes me.

either you CAN or you CANT carry the stuff

Thanks
    Karma Level

the law is that you can't

Thanks
    Karma Level

I don't give a monkeys fck;-)_
    I'll keep on smokin regardless of the law.
    The Law has proven to be corrupt, so what is good for one, is good enough for others.
    Well thats my view..........

Wheres my skins gone?
    Morph, can you help me again??????????;-0

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

IMHO all drugs should be legalised and taxed.

1. It would bring in extra money which could be invested into the NHS.
    2. Adults should be able to make there own choices not the gov telling us what we can and can't do (to ourselfs)
    3. The quality could be contronled so that the dealers don't cut the drugs with a load of shit. (hence quality control)
    4. Gets rid of drug dealers in one swoop and lets the police go after grany bashers and ped0s etc.

There are probably many more good reasons but I'm not stoned enough to think of them

Its better to burn out than to fade away...............

Thanks
    Karma Level

it wont make any difference to me because i dont smoke it. what i do want to ask is this: if cannabis is legalised would it lead to people going to take other drugs? ive heard that for some people part of the buzz is that its illegal so whats the facts? would cannabis just become like tobacco and alcohol?
    "There are two ways to slide easily through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both ways save us from thinking." - Alfred Korzybski

"Alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" - Homer J. Simpson

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Hangman

4. Gets rid of drug dealers in one swoop and lets the police go after grany bashers and ped0s etc.
    The problem is, Knowing the goverment, They would **** it up and get undercut by the dealers, whilst making it easier for them to get supplies.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Hangman

1. It would bring in extra money which could be invested into the NHS.
    2. Adults should be able to make there own choices not the gov telling us what we can and can't do (to ourselfs)
    3. The quality could be contronled so that the dealers don't cut the drugs with a load of shit. (hence quality control)

There are probably many more good reasons but I'm not stoned enough to think of them

1. Whilst simultaeneously costing the NHS more
    2. Yes they should, when their choices won't harm other people, if other people have to pay for your choices (through healthcare, for example) then you have arguably caused harm
    3. Quality control costs money, the higher the quality the higher the price (admittedly, once made legal the price would be lowered but still expensive)
    4. U exchange the problem of drug dealers for more people being addicted and not being able to afford to keep their addiction.

You make good points, I'm just putting forward a few counter arguments

Thanks
    Karma Level

if u r caught smoking it u shud be left alone, as long as its in a responsable place, not around kids or out, if u r carryin a full untouched bag then it shud be taken off u

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by way2gud4u
    1. Whilst simultaeneously costing the NHS more
    2. Yes they should, when their choices won't harm other people, if other people have to pay for your choices (through healthcare, for example) then you have arguably caused harm
    3. Quality control costs money, the higher the quality the higher the price (admittedly, once made legal the price would be lowered but still expensive)
    4. U exchange the problem of drug dealers for more people being addicted and not being able to afford to keep their addiction.

You make good points, I'm just putting forward a few counter arguments
    Good counter points however.

1. The tax gained if invested properly would offset any additional costs, also it could also be invested in education to teach more kids about the dangers of drugs and addiction therefore reducing the amount of users of the more damaging drugs like Heroin.
    2. If that is the case then we need to ban cars etc aswell because 1000's of people of killed or injured as the inocent victims of RTA's and this costs millions as the emergency services have to sort it all out. In reality if the extra tax is used properly the number of people affected by drugs would be less not more. (less people robbing to pay for the addiction etc)
    3. I am sure people would be happy to be paying slightly less than they do now for a better quality product which is also safer.
    4. see point 1

Its better to burn out than to fade away...............