Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Police fury at cannabis move

Police fury at cannabis move Sep 16 2003

New guidelines issued to police on the reclassification of cannabis will cause chaos, according to the organisation which represents rank-and-file officers.

Paul Tonks, chairman of the West Midlands Police Federation, has hit out at the way new laws governing the use of cannabis were brought in, saying the government had given little thought to how they would be policed.

The new legislation, which downgrades cannabis from a Class B drug to Class C - the same category as some prescription drugs such as anti-depressants and anabolic steroids - comes into effect in January next year, but guidelines on what this will actually mean have only just been drawn up by the Home Office.

People found in possession of a small amount of cannabis can be cautioned by police and have the drug confiscated, while those who have a larger amount can face arrest as a suspected dealer.

But Mr Tonks says no guidance has been given as to what constitutes a "small amount" - leaving police officers on the streets with a huge grey area of confusion.

He believes any case which ends up in court could prove to be a waste of time and money as solicitors argue over whether their client should have been arrested in the first place.

"You could have a ridiculous situation where two officers on opposite sides of the street could stop and search people with exactly the same amount of drugs on them. One officer will take the drugs and send the person on his or her way with a warning, while the other will arrest and take them into the police station.

"In my opinion, the Home Secretary [David Blunkett] has simply sat on the fence. He should have either legalised the drug, or maintained the status quo. This is going to cause huge problems.

"What are police officers to do when they confiscate the drug? They are either going to have to go back to the police station every time they seize something, or keep it on them, making themselves a target for drug users."

Mr Tonks is now calling for West Midlands Police to draw up more specific guidelines in time for the new legislation and hopes to be involved in the process himself.
    Dont drink and drive smoke grass and fly

[URL]http://www.dylanstrust.org.uk/[/URL]

Thanks
    Karma Level

so what do people deem is personal use. I often pick up 1/2 oz as apposed to smaller amounts as it saves the hassle of going again in a hurry. But if i buy more than an imediate supply and its in 1/8 bags would i be classed as a dealer? Its all very very open air, which for a drug policy is rediculous. Im not going to buy the amount i smoke a day every day (unlike tabs) cause i cant without hassle. The "personal use" limits on booze and tabs from europe allow for a years supply easily, you can bring back truck loads. So would, say 2 ounces be arguable as personal use, "i buy in bulk officer to cut down the costs" seems like a plausable excuse.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I only buy in quantities of 9oz. But how would piggy know unless I was waving it around..?

Let's face it - if I'm strolling down the street with 9oz in my pocket & I've got a big spliff on the go I would need my head looking at!

No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...