Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Starting at the beginning...

This is a pretty basic question, but I have to ask since I havn't been able to find an answer anywhere.

• I've moved into a new apartment which I think has NTL cable wired (just the F-sockets here on arrival).
    • I bought a DI4000-N + NTL card on eBay and plugged it in which resulted in not much happening at all beside a three letter code ( "Nlt" ) displaying on the LED readout. I thought the box/connection was toast, so I forgot about it for a while.
    • One day, after trying to reset/enable/fix the box by buttonholding on powerup, I accidentally left the box on for about 1-2 hours. It suddenly became active and started sending a picture signal to my TV via the SCART! Woo Hoo!
    • Now, I get the NTL navigation menu, including "TV on Demand", "Now & Next" bar, "Diary" etc, but I have the following problems... which I suspect may mean the cable is physically disconnected from the network...
    1. Displays "NO CHANNELS AVAILABLE"
    2. Displays "No schedule data available"
    3. Displays "Error MO43"
    4. Displays "Error MO44"
    5. Displays "Channel information unavailable"
    6. Displays an incorrect date and time
    7. Generally, just doesn't appear to communicate with anything

• Also, if I pull the power (as I just did to check inside), the box comes on and alternates between "Nlt" and "PACE" for a bit, then stays on "Nlt" for 45 mins before becoming accessible. Is it trying to do an update, but timing out after that long?
    At this stage, I'm just trying to find out if I should even think about getting setup to program a Funcard for my DI4000, or if there's no point because NTL has cut the cable to my apartment!

For even more background info, please check <A HREF="http://www.digital-forums.com/showthread.php?t=191459">my intro post</A>

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Starting at the beginning...

change plug on your ntl coax and plug it direct into ur TV and then tune ur TV all through, if u dont get any TV. u have no signal... :whistle

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Starting at the beginning...

Have you removed the Talkback on your box, do this before you even think about connecting it to an NTL stream. Also is your freq. & Net ID set on the box. If this ain't right then your not gonna get a lot!

Mazz

Thanks
    Karma Level

Re: Starting at the beginning...

Quote Originally Posted by Locksmith
    tune ur TV all through, if u dont get any TV. u have no signal...
    Yep, that was actually the first thing I ever tried... but from what I've learnt so far, I thought that would only work if I was in an old analogue area. NTL have already told me I'm in a digital-only area.

Quote Originally Posted by mazfg
    Have you removed the Talkback on your box, do this before you even think about connecting it to an NTL stream.
    I've opened up the box mainly for the purpose of disabling talkback, but my DI4000 looks a lot different to the 2000 or 4001, so I was a bit wary of slicing up tracks without 4000 specific info... any pointers to where I could find that info?

Quote Originally Posted by mazfg
    Also is your freq. & Net ID set on the box. If this ain't right then your not gonna get a lot!
    Cool... that's what I've been suspecting (and hoping) was the problem. I've been hoping that it was possible that I had an active cable connection, yet could still get absolutely nothing off it because I hadn't set freq and/or ID... I didn't want to spend time and money attempting to get it to work unless there was some chance I did NOT have a physically dead cable connection, since that's what it's been looking like. Also, I did read that the 4000 auto-sets id and freq, but it doesn't look like that's been happening!

So, first step... gotta work out how to kill talkback
    Second step... gotta work out how to set Net ID and freq for my area

Thanks for the feedback so far, guys! I do appreciate it.