Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default mercedes SLK with high milage?

My friend was considering buying one of these, we went to see it today. Its an R reg, its the 230 automatic. Only problem is that it has 90 thousand miles. Price is £13000-£13500. Alternative is getting another R reg, checking autotrader they seem to cost £16k with 35-45k miles.

Is the high mileage going to be a problem on this car? Or would it be wise to pay the extra money and get the lower mileage one?

thanks in advance

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: mercedes SLK with high milage?

Average mileage for a car of that age today would be 72,000 mls anyway (based on 12K a year).
    How was the mileage clocked up?
    If it was all motorway work, then that is quite easy going on a car anyway.
    If it was all town work, then that makes life a little harder on the car.
    Check the service history, if it's been serviced on time then I see no reason not to buy it & save £3000 or so.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood
    My friend was considering buying one of these, we went to see it today. Its an R reg, its the 230 automatic. Only problem is that it has 90 thousand miles. Price is £13000-£13500. Alternative is getting another R reg, checking autotrader they seem to cost £16k with 35-45k miles.

Is the high mileage going to be a problem on this car? Or would it be wise to pay the extra money and get the lower mileage one?

thanks in advance
    Just to add what the person who replied already said..

When buying a high mileage car you have to wage into fact how long you think you're going to keep it for and how many miles you are thinking of covering.

For example, if you're only going to keep it a year, then the mileage really wouldn't be a concern.

If he is going to keep it 3-4 years then thats when the mileage comes into concern, you may have extra bills due to its high mileage, at the very least it may need a new timing belt (if the engine uses them) that can be costly.. well _EVERYTHING_ is costly on Mercedes.

The other thing is that if he does not cover many miles in the car and he is thinking of keeping it a number of years, then the mileage will then become more "exceptable" when your friend goes to sell it...

The car obviously has high mileage, but please check the service history like sherlock holmes would as it may of been clocked, it may of been around the world twice, instead of the once it's showing.

Personaly I'd rather try and stretch the extra few grand to try and get a lower milage vechicle. but that is just me.

He should look into buying a LHD (left hand drive, steering wheel ont he other side) as its a small car so it wouldn't be hard to drive and you can save a few grand that way..

Thanks
    Karma Level

thanks guys some good points to be considered.
    Last edited by Elwood; 13th February 2004 at 05:02 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i would rather buy the car with high mileage as it is a lot more likely to be true than a car showing less look for the teltail signs clutch pedal wear and brake gear stick and steering wheel there are a lot more clocked cars than high mileage cars plus a car a 5 years old with 10k on is likely to be neglected a lot more than the same with 60k as we have all heard it before i missed its service cos ive not done any mileage but its a lot worse doin 1 mile a day than 300