Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Mileage correction

I need the mileage corrected on my dash as I the old dash broke and the dash now reads the mileage of the car the dash came from.

The car is a 306 1998 VDO dash.

Anybody recommend a company or person around heathrow airport. I dont mind travelling, as long as its not too many miles.

What actually happens? I understand the dash needs to be taken out, but what happens then?

Cheers.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Mileage correction

try www.speedofixer.co.uk they cover your area and dont worry about the cluster being removed. its straight forward....

Thanks
    Karma Level

where abouts are you mate ive got a number for a bloke that will do it for £40 but he will only travel around the tyne&wear area (newcastle)

:thumbs

Thanks
    Karma Level

This does not apply to particular companies, but if your paying £40 beware, we have had many customers come to us after £40 jobs done in carparks, word of mouth is the best way to find a quality service...ask if there work is insured and comes with 1 months warranty?
    postal service from motors316.co.uk may be an option

:nowords:

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by diagnostix
    This does not apply to particular companies, but if your paying £40 beware, we have had many customers come to us after £40 jobs done in carparks, word of mouth is the best way to find a quality service...ask if there work is insured and comes with 1 months warranty?
    postal service from motors316.co.uk may be an option

:nowords:
    i did the job for this member and only charged him £40 inc post
    thers nothing wrong with my work / service:tongue

Thanks
    Karma Level

Apart from the price :censored like you have :censored ruined the business, after 12 years I now have to work for peanuts while paying fortunes for updates because of guys like you, for :censored 's sake why do it so cheap :annoyed:

Thanks
    Karma Level

£40 inclusive of post, what a tosser :grr:

Thanks
    Karma Level

Re: Hovercraft.
    WELL SAID!
    They are making a mockery of people like us who pay £1000's per update,
    Put him in front of a 2004 range rover BCU or the new E class key module, and see what you get for your £40!! you would not believe how many customers we get who have already had work done "on the cheap"...still, some people are still paying for quality work.

:nono

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well wiggi28 you must be so proud of yourself, £40 including postage you must be some kind of ARSEHOLE!!!!

We have these kind of idiots in London and they break more instrument cluster than they correct. The £40 boys they turn up do the job if its alright they take your money if not they will normally just drive off, the customer keep trying to ring but they will often not answer or as most of these guys are on pay as you go mobile numbers it cheaper for them to just change there sim card then replace your instrument cluster.

Then the customer has to either replace the instrument cluster or have it repaired with a company that knows what it is doing. We charge £250 for say a 51 plate merc S Class and we get that. last month we repaired one of these and charged £400 for our trouble. This cluster was done by a fool who was charging just £75 and what a mess he made of it.
    I would say that 20% of the work we do know is repairs so I would like to thank the £40 a job boys the more balls up you make, the more money I make and the more the customers recommend me.

Mileage correction should be undetectable, but these guys are butchers!!! Good work cost money but not as much as repairs do.

BoogieNights:thumbs

Thanks
    Karma Level

after 12 years in this industry I have seen this coming for a long time it happend with the radios now with the dashboards, to all the undercutters out there chew on this thought,

While you want to give radio codes for free or charge a tenner or less for a delco 500, think of us poor sods who spent a fortune on the software when it came out, but why charge so less there stereeo is fooked and will cost em at least £100 minimum to replace it :nowords:

As with the dashs and the Ahem I have replaced my dash, (by the way how do I get it out :whistle ) brigade , look at it this way in most cases you have just added a grand or more to the value of that vehicle , a 10% fee is at least what to expect for finding a total stranger a big pot of pennies

I now have my ex regular customers come to me with radios that joe bloggs who they use now coz he is cheaper than me , cant do they get charged TREBLE for em Likewise with dashs they fooked , I got 10 years of datasets and guess what ye aint gettin em unless you part with lots of wonga

On final thing to think about, You do all the work with equipment thats cost you thousands of £££ and get £40 while ye man puts a grand in his pocket, Aint rocket science or maybe ye that thick its why ye fu(k so many dashs up :tongue

Mike
    Mike

Im not bitter, Im a red

Thanks
    Karma Level

thats some reaction to my work seen as you dont know me
    so lets get the record straight

1. i too pay the same money for the upgrades (£1000 a time )
    2. as for the "people like you are killing the trade / price war comments" my prices are dictated by rival buisnesses in the area i cover
    i dont under cut people i have a fixed price for each job and it dosnt change
    i would love to be able to charge the prices you can in london for eg but i just wouldnt get any work its that simple.
    nobody is more pi55ed off than me when i know people like yourselves are doing the same work and paying the same upgrade fees yet charging upto three times what i am able to charge.
    4 i am also aware of the carpark bandits who do the hit and run service as i see quite a few jobs where people thought they were saving a few quid only to find they are then having to pay somebody like yourself or me to repair the damage done by the poor service provided
    5 true i do offer a mobile service yet also have a unit/workshop and am a legitamate buisness
    6 the problem here is not the quality of my work its more the regional price differrance

hope this puts a differrent prespective on your comments as i will look foward to reading them

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well I wish my upgrades were only a £1000 a time but they are a lot more than this, and your point is taken well that there is lots of people within the north that under cut there competion and this is the same within the London area where there are know over 103 companies advertising, not including those that don't advertise. Within 6 miles of me there are 7 boxes.
    As for what other companies charge in your area, I know 2 companies that work in the North East and believe me they would not charge £40 including postage for a 306. One of the guy I know in your area has forgot more than you and I would probably ever know about mileage correction and has for the last year struggle to get new work from the trader becuase of guy like you, The true facts of it is that if you all charged a minimuim of £75 for any diagnostic and £100 for any Eeprom and say £140 for any micro then you would all be Quids in and there would be plenty of work and you would all be able to earn a reasonble living, instead the only people that benifit from the attituded that you have adopted is the guys using your service.

Just too finnish I do blame companies like yours that have ruined this business but in saying that I also blame the greed and attitude of Cdh, ashkirk and revtec. It is there greed and lack of responsibility that has know caused the current sitution in the whole country. All 3 of these companies are aware of the sitution and the under cutting that is going on and all 3 of them choice to ignore it. If any of these companies have any loyalty or respect to there current customers they would all stop selling boxes try to correct the sutition with the companies that are destroying this business by under cutting. As usual these words will fall on deaf ears and that is the sad thing that Colin, Jim and George are all made from the same mould, they have made mega money from this business and are laughing at the like of you and me.

Thanks
    Karma Level

[QUOTE=BoogieNights]Well I wish my upgrades were only a £1000 a time but they are a lot more than this, and your point is taken well that there is lots of people within the north that under cut there competion and this is the same within the London area where there are know over 103 companies advertising, not including those that don't advertise. Within 6 miles of me there are 7 boxes.
    As for what other companies charge in your area, I know 2 companies that work in the North East and believe me they would not charge £40 including postage for a 306. One of the guy I know in your area has forgot more than you and I would probably ever know about mileage correction and has for the last year struggle to get new work from the trader becuase of guy like you, The true facts of it is that if you all charged a minimuim of £75 for any diagnostic and £100 for any Eeprom and say £140 for any micro then you would all be Quids in and there would be plenty of work and you would all be able to earn a reasonble living, instead the only people that benifit from the attituded that you have adopted is the guys using your service.

if i charged what you said i wouldnt get any work!!!!
    and as for the prices if you phone any other ad in the trader local to me there prices are the same as mine .
    i understand your concerns as i too have noticed a drop off in work in the last 18 months but then theres alot of cheep equipment going about in my area which is also killing it for me i guess were all in the same position omly to varying degrees

i thinks theres a bit of a missconception going on here and everybodys just seems to be jumping on the band wagon of he charges £40 QUID SO HES A CUN7.

i charge no more or less than the people i am in competition with in my area so anybody who just thinks they can have a go for the sake of it needs to think again after all how long do you think your buisness would last with your price scale in my area?

i would also like to point out after all the abuse i have had i dont have a problem with the people in london for instance charging what they do .
    i think there price scale is a good reflection of the investment / skill required to do the job and the service provided and its nice to know somebody can still make a good living from this service .

it would be nice to see posts from any previous members in this thread to se what they think now there a bigger picture to look at

Thanks
    Karma Level

@ wiggi28, I can understand your point of view now you have made it clear, but the £40 quid merchants ruin the job for all concerned. I'm fairly lucky in that the nearest box of any description to me that I know of is 25 miles away. I know this wont last forever but I'll try to make hay whilst the sun shines.

I have not been at the dash job for long enough to know anything other than charging a few quid for doing a job makes it bad for all. I've seen it with the Radio Decoding, serial decoding is dead now as the software is everywhere. Thank goodness for the radios that can't be decoded by serial or it would be a total dead loss.

It does seem that there seems to be many pockets and clusters of large numbers of boxes (from whichever maker) that cause the problem where in other areas there are those that are doing very nucely thankyou. We should all just hope that the box manufacturers don't ever decide to have a price war as the whole game will certainly go down the pan then.

Interesting thread which I suppose can be boiled down to two words - Market Forces.

Regards...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by keyscoob
    @ wiggi28, I can understand your point of view now you have made it clear, but the £40 quid merchants ruin the job for all concerned. I'm fairly lucky in that the nearest box of any description to me that I know of is 25 miles away. I know this wont last forever but I'll try to make hay whilst the sun shines.

I have not been at the dash job for long enough to know anything other than charging a few quid for doing a job makes it bad for all. I've seen it with the Radio Decoding, serial decoding is dead now as the software is everywhere. Thank goodness for the radios that can't be decoded by serial or it would be a total dead loss.

It does seem that there seems to be many pockets and clusters of large numbers of boxes (from whichever maker) that cause the problem where in other areas there are those that are doing very nucely thankyou. We should all just hope that the box manufacturers don't ever decide to have a price war as the whole game will certainly go down the pan then.

Interesting thread which I suppose can be boiled down to two words - Market Forces.

Regards...
    common sence at last after all do you really think i would charge £40 for ajob when i could grt £ 70 /£80 ???????????????

the real shame is now that somebody near me is selling a unit to anybody with £400 that will do most vaux, vw, audi,etc so now vectras etc are getting done for £25 a shot

and you think you have problems:nowords: :nowords: :nowords:

thanks for keeping up with the post have some karma just hope the others have more to there argument besides name calling
    :thumbs :thumbs :thumbs :thumbs

Thanks
    Karma Level

The digi-dash diagnostic corrections will become the serial number equivelant of the radio decode world. Best written off and not relied upon anymore.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well said BoogieNights, your last comment is sadly true and should be a warning to other people who are considering this business, its all made to sound so easy when you go for a demo where your only shown vehicles which are easy to do and shown a recomended price guide which gives prices you will never ever get because you have 30 guys chasing 10 jobs in your area so what happens? the prices keep on going down and down and then you get into the real world where you bust some expensive cars which cost you a fortune to put right then decide only to do the easy stuff, problem is that everybody wants the easy stuff so the price crashes, I have people doing some plug ins for £25 in my patch, how can I compete with that :annoyed: I feel well and truly shafted by the suppliers these days to be honest, every week I hear of a new starter in my patch who fair enough is only trying get on in life but is also being robbed by whoever they buy the equipment from because they know fine the market is flooded and you will struggle like sin to get work and at a price which at best will be half what your led to believe you will get easily. A word of warning to all you considering this contact the 4 main suppliers in the uk
    www.cdh.co.uk
    www.dashfixer.com
    www.diagprog.co.uk
    www.revtech.co.uk

And ask how many they already have sold around you, ( ask for it in writing! ) if your told the truth you will be amazed, then add all 4 suppliers together and you will see the markets 100% :censored
    Then after 2 weeks they will sell to your pal down the street, the cycle starts again and it gets even worse :grr: Problem is that most have made unbelievable money out of us in buying the gear ( not a problem as its why we all get of bed but a degree of loyalty in return is expected by all! ) and then again in updates yet they will still sell to your neighbour! you have been warned :grr:
    Then a few months after you paid thousands for your equipment and your cos you get no work and youve bust loads of cars you decide to sell up, your offered peanuts back for the gear which has just cost you your savings!
    THINK TWICE FIRST :nowords:

Thanks
    Karma Level

Wiggi28 sorry to say I know 2 companies in the North east who advertise in the trader and quote more than £40 for a 306 and I know 1 company in the north west that would not quote less than £60 for any job.

I know how it feels to quote for jobs and not get them cause some dumb asre who has never paid for a upgrade charges £40, but what if all the companies in your area start to charge £40 and then work start getting slack, what you going to charge £30 and then before long you will all be working for £10.
    As you are probably aware the new stlye M.O.T are about to be introduced nation wide and the mileage will be recorded at every M.O.T and recorded on the national mileage records so this will make a big difference I will imagine a drop of easy 50% in work for all companies. If you are still charging peanuts how will you update your hardware, if you don't update then you boxs if worth nothing within 8 months.

Thanks
    Karma Level

it will get worse as you said and yes i do worry everytime i buy an update or the subscription goes out,everytime i advertise in the autotrader we seem to get less people ringing. we also suffer from the £20 diagnostic lads...i,am glad im not just starting out as i dont think you would cover your outlay. and yes i agree about the new mots but then were in catch 22, because most of the work will be under 3 years old (ie new models) so that will mean new upgrades and more money.
    Last edited by decode1; 19th September 2004 at 11:56 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BoogieNights
    Wiggi28 sorry to say I know 2 companies in the North east who advertise in the trader and quote more than £40 for a 306 and I know 1 company in the north west that would not quote less than £60 for any job.

I know how it feels to quote for jobs and not get them cause some dumb asre who has never paid for a upgrade charges £40, but what if all the companies in your area start to charge £40 and then work start getting slack, what you going to charge £30 and then before long you will all be working for £10.
    As you are probably aware the new stlye M.O.T are about to be introduced nation wide and the mileage will be recorded at every M.O.T and recorded on the national mileage records so this will make a big difference I will imagine a drop of easy 50% in work for all companies. If you are still charging peanuts how will you update your hardware, if you don't update then you boxs if worth nothing within 8 months.
    good luck to them if they can get it in the north east but thats not where i work
    the fact is if i was willing to travel around fifty miles away from my workshop i too could charge these prices and probably more but then would have the travel / time cost issues to deal with also i would have to close the workshop so it would defeat the whole object

i usually charge £50 for the pug 306 if they come to the workshop as you will know its an easy one to do the only reason i did it for £40 was the clocks were already out and i had been in contact with recaro several times
    admittadly when i started 2 years ago i did charge £60 but when people are telling you they can get it done cheaper you can either tell them good luck and bye bye or as i did look into the matter and change in accordance to compete in the market you opperate in and payed alot of money to do so

like i said in earlier posts how long do you think your buisness would last with your prices in my area ????

of course it would be great if everbody could aggree one fixed price menu but its never going to happen because theres always somebody willing to under cut you
    as we are all feeling at different levels

i never realised how much the prices varied until around a year ago when i went to kent to visit family its certenly interesting seeing the regional price differance

as for my prices there only the same as my competitors and i stick to them
    nothing annoys me more than people haggling overthe price you have quoted after all you dont get to the checkout in marks and spencer and start haggling over the price !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for your reply its allways nice to get a different oppion even if we dont agree with eachother :thumbs

i guess this thread beats the usual "has anybody got a dat set for a *** post"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Social Networking Bookmarks