Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Stopping browser popups, homepage hijacks, spyware, etc

Here is something I borrowed (and added to) from dvdforums, I'm not sure if its posted elsewhere on df, but anyway.

Thought i'd make a thread about Spyware as there seems to be a lot of threads about it recently.

If you have a problem with pop-ups, or your homepage has changed or think Internet Explorer is acting strange then download and run the following tools.

Ad-Aware
    Ad-Aware scans your memory, registry, hard, removable and optical drives for known datamining, aggressive advertising, and tracking components. Upon finding these components it will prompt you to remove them, make sure that all the boxes are ticked prior to removing. Also make sure that you update the ref file regularly.

Spybot
    Similar to Ad-Aware in that it searches your harddisk for so-called spy- or adbots. Again make sure that the program is updated regularly.

CWShredder
    This tool gets rid of the CWS trojan that hijacks Internet Explorer start and search settings to one of several different web sites. Most of these web sites appear to have an affiliate relationship with coolwebsearch.com in which coolwebsearch pays them for every visitor they refer.

HijackThis
    HijackThis scans the locations in your computer system that may be modified by browser hijackers and fixes any problems found. Good tutorial on how to use it here

BHO Demon
    BHODemon protects you from unknown Browser Helper Objects (BHOs), by letting you enable/disable them individually.

ToolbarCop
    This utility can be used as a Quick-Solution to remove Toolbar, Toolbar icons, and Browser Help Objects.

HTAstop
    HTAStop is a Freeware utility for disabling MS Hypertext Application (HTA), which is used by some trojans and browser hijackers.

Browser Hijack Blaster
    Browser Hijack Blaster protects your system from browser hijackers and spyware that alters your Internet Explorer settings.

SpywareGuard
    SpywareGuard provides a real-time protection solution against spyware.

SpywareBlaster
    SpywareBlaster doesn't scan and clean for spyware - it prevents it from ever being installed.

Start Page Guard
    This product allows you to set your Internet Explorer start page and then guards that setting against unauthorised changes. If something alters your homepage setting without your permission and doesn't let you change it back, this product will change it back for you.

IE-SPYAD
    IE-SPYAD is a Registry file (IE-ADS.REG) that adds a long list of known ad/spy servers and domains to the "Restricted Zone" of Internet Explorer. Once IE-ADS.REG is "merged" into your Registry, most ad/spy servers will not be able to resort to the usual "tricks" (e.g., cookies, scripts, popups, et al) that they use in order to track and monitor your behavior while you surf the Net.

Google toolbar
    Google toolbar blocks popups in internet explorer.

Mozilla/Firefox
    Mozilla is a better browser than IE, less holes to allow dodgy spy ware to be installed in the first place. Also does popup blocking, tabbed browsing, inbuilt google searching and lots of other nice things such as a better mail client (includes spam blocking by default). Firefox is a slim faster version of mozilla, has the same features and more - recommended if you just need a browser. Also check out thunderbird, a slim faster version of the mozilla mail client.

Bazooka
    Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner detects a multitude of spyware, adware, trojan, keylogger, foistware and trackware components; sources of irritation that antivirus software does not deal with. The scanning process will only take about two seconds and tell you how to uninstall the invasive threat using simple step-by-step instructions or put you in contact with the vendor for the most up-to-date and safe uninstall instructions.

Messenger Service pop-ups (XP, 2000 and NT)
    For Messenger Service pop-ups outside of your browser then visit this page which will show you how to stop the messenging service; it's for Windows NT, 2000 or XP only.

Windows updates
    Visit often (once a week) to check your windows installation is up to date with the latest patches from microsoft. A lot of viruses only work due to the fact a user hasn't patched their pc with a patch that has been available for months.

Office updates
    Visit often (once a week) to check your windows installation is up to date with the latest patches from microsoft. A lot of viruses only work due to the fact a user hasn't patched their pc with a patch that has been available for months.

Autopatcher
    Large download that's updated regularly that contains the latest patches, fixes, etc from microsoft + a whole load of other useful things. Its worth downloading this every month or so and burning it to cd for when/if you need to reinstall Windows.
    Last edited by hxbro; 22nd October 2007 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Added autopatcher

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Stopping hijackers

thats a nice list HXBRO.............. :thumbs

Thanks
    Karma Level

thanks been havin lots of problems HijackThis fixed them thanks,spy ware and hijacking is worse than virus these days thanks
    monkey

Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Re: Stopping hijackers

try setting your internet account up as a user with a limited account and not an admin and set a password for your admin this generally stops any unwanted exe files being executed without your permission and watch adaware pro as this can quite easily turn your os into a graveyard with LNK file attachments after a mac attack

Thanks
    Karma Level

Also check out WinPatrol - it keeps an eye out ofr any changes on your system and asks for your consent.

ABCMan

spysweepwe (by webroot) is another, found some stuff many of the others didnt also has a hompage sheild, ad killer and other stuff built in, selectable auto/manual program update and auto/manual database update too

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks Hxbro, some great advice there. I've been using Mozilla Firefox for about a month now - it's what web browsing should be like. With IE I was getting fed up with pages to load but I put that down to my son DL'ing on the same network - no - it was just slow IE. Mozilla has changed my life......

........oops.!! It just changed back again - after all I am still using XP !!!!

Nah... to be fair XP has been the best OS I have ever used but I am increasingly drawn to Linux, just because linux people seem to love it.

Pete
    What if the Hokey Cokey "IS" what it's all about?

Thanks
    Karma Level

hello,

i use spybot and it is good. I prefer this one. before i use ad-aware. With spybot, many corrective actions are proposed but the automatic option go very well.

good day for all readers.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Does anyone know how to make a program run automatically with different rights than the logged-on user?

I have a Windows XP machine that I share with other users, and I do not want the administrator account used as the normal logon. However, BHODemon and Norton Antivirus 2005 auto-update both seem to require administrative rights to run correctly. It seems kind of silly to me for a security-related program to require an administrator logon, but I'm just a user I guess.

I've tried changing ownership and access rights to BHODemon, and I have tried using a system logon script to call the executable. I've also tried the fix recommended for some computers in the program help file. I'm not entirely certain I am using the scripts correctly, but all attempts have failed regardless.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm using Windows XP with SP2. BHODemon is version 2.0.0.20. If it matters, Norton Antivirus is version 11.0.2.4.

Thanks all, and apologies if this is the wrong thread...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Tech Re: Stopping hijackers

Yeah, i found this as well, especially with windows update - you need to be an admin. Its so stupid.

By the way lookin for a great firewall? Try ZoneAlarm it block all incoming connections and asks for outgoing ones. And if you want to allow your computer to become a server. Its great.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i used lavasoft adaware on 2 computers. its good, it searches everything including running processes and then it summarises everything it finds into program namd or company name, so u no u aint deleting important registry info. got rid of all ad popups and ones that werent found by norton and in add/remove progs

Thanks
    Karma Level

excellent post , wish i'd have read it last week though
    Cheers

Sniper

My Specs
    ---------

x-ray (i wish) :p

Thanks
    Karma Level

Generally speaking, what Ad-Aware misses Spybot S&D takes care of and vice versa but there are a few parasites that need special attention.

CWShredder should be the first choice of removal tool where a CWS type infection is suspected.

LSPFix may also be necessary where incorrect removal techniques have been used for scumware such as Look2Me and LOP etc.

Java Cool offers some excellent free anti malware tools in SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard and others.

Emisofts A-Squared seems to more than capable of holding it's own against trojan infection whilst McAfees stand-alone Stinger application is effective at removing a number of worm, virus and trojan infections.

The excellent HijackThis! is the king of the removal tools although a little time needs to be spent researching what it finds.
    There are some excellent databases etc available in this regard:
    http://www.windowsstartup.com/wso/search.php
    http://www.liutilities.com/products/...rocesslibrary/
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm
    http://www.answersthatwork.com/Taskl...s/tasklist.htm

Sites such as Black Viper and TweakXP are invaluable for correctly setting up Windows XP.
    XP-AntiSpy is a very useful tool in this respect.

Don't forget that various plugins are freely available for Ad-Aware such as Messenger Control and LSP Explorer from Lavasoft.
    Last edited by Freekie_Freddie; 8th March 2005 at 01:32 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Microsoft have launched a new update site, it updates more things at once making it a bit easier :

http://update.microsoft.com/ (in Internet Explorer)

Getting Started with Microsoft Update

What Is Microsoft Update?
    It's the new website from Microsoft that helps you update Microsoft Windows and many other Microsoft programs that you've installed, such as Microsoft Office, Microsoft Exchange Server and Microsoft SQL Server, all in one convenient place.

Does it work with Automatic Updates?
    Yes. If you turn on Automatic Updates using your settings in Control Panel, Windows will automatically find and install high-priority updates for any Microsoft products that you have installed and that are supported by the website.

If I use Microsoft Update, do I still need to visit the Windows Update website?
    No. Microsoft Update provides the same updates you find on the Windows Update website and more. Microsoft Update is designed to make it easier for you to update Windows and your Microsoft products in one place.

Do I still need to get updates from Office Online or use Office Update?
    No, if you’ve installed Office 2003. If you use an earlier version of Office, you should still get updates from Office Online. Also, if you like to download fun or useful add-ons such as templates, clip art, and other media for any version of Office, you still need to go to Microsoft Office Online.

Tip: To check which version of Office you're using, open any Microsoft Office program. Click Help, and then click About (program name).

How often should I visit Microsoft Update?
    That depends. If you turn on Automatic Updates, you automatically get the most important updates for your computer. You only need to visit the site to check for optional updates for your software and hardware.

If you do not use Automatic Updates, you should visit the site as often as possible and at least once each week.

What types of updates does Microsoft publish?
    See this description of the standard terminology used to describe Microsoft software updates.

How does the website work with my computer?
    Microsoft Update works with updating software in Windows. When you visit the site, the updating software identifies which version of Windows and other Microsoft products you use. This way, the website shows you only the updates that apply to your computer, not all updates published by Microsoft. The privacy policy describes which information is used to find updates your computer needs in more detail.

How often does Microsoft Update release new updates?
    Security-related updates are released once a month. However, if a security threat occurs, such as a widespread virus or worm that affects Windows-based computers, Microsoft will release a corresponding update as soon as possible. Other types of updates can be released whenever they are ready.

It’s a good idea to turn on Automatic Updates so that your computer can receive high-priority updates as they become available.

Thanks
    Karma Level

cheers guys, some excellent stuff there

Thanks
    Karma Level

thx chaps ive been having severe probs with spam this last 2 weeks, ive cleaned most of it but still getting pop ups, esp when online gaming.
    thx again

Thanks
    Karma Level

try Sunbelt's Counterspy...will help sort out and prevent the bad guys..

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Stopping browser popups, homepage hijacks, spyware, etc

Cracking !!!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Brill thanks. Had problems with explorer now got firefox from your link and this is much better and fixed all my problems A+++++++

Thanks
    Karma Level

hi all,
    i'm new to there forums, but i have got a nasty little virus hiding somewhere in my lappy i've tried most progs to remove it the one i'm using at the moment is called error repair pro, its helped but when i rescan it still finds some of the spyware and trojans that it was surposed to have remove'd, any idea's what i can do to remove these nasty things, thanks all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast