Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default extra bang for my buck

i just got myself a p4 3.0ghz 800fsb as a cheaper option than the 3.4ghz i would of liked but could not afford . I am good with computers and have built a few systems in my time but my knowlage on overclocking is weak ,my question is this could a poor man like myself turn his 3.0 into a 3.4 quite safely with stock cooling (and a few case fans) without haveing to pay the extra doŁ. If so if any of you good people know how to do this could you please guide me.
    also,, if 3.4 is to mutch i would be happy with 3.2 or whatever is safe cause i dont want to risk frying my cpu. Many thanks

details
    p4 3.0 800fsb
    msi 865pe neo
    ocz 512 (pc3200) (1 stick saveing 4 a match to take advantage of dual channel)
    antec true power 550

SYSTEM TEMPS
    cpu idel 28.c sys temp 22.c
    cpu load 38.c

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: extra bang for my buck

Quote Originally Posted by gallag
    i just got myself a p4 3.0ghz 800fsb as a cheaper option than the 3.4ghz i would of liked but could not afford . I am good with computers and have built a few systems in my time but my knowlage on overclocking is weak ,my question is this could a poor man like myself turn his 3.0 into a 3.4 quite safely with stock cooling (and a few case fans) without haveing to pay the extra doŁ. If so if any of you good people know how to do this could you please guide me.
    also,, if 3.4 is to mutch i would be happy with 3.2 or whatever is safe cause i dont want to risk frying my cpu. Many thanks

details
    p4 3.0 800fsb
    msi 865pe neo
    ocz 512 (pc3200) (1 stick saveing 4 a match to take advantage of dual channel)
    antec true power 550

SYSTEM TEMPS
    cpu idel 28.c sys temp 22.c
    cpu load 38.c
    Quick answer is YES you could easily overclock your system. Your temps are nice and low. Main thing to check is if your motherboard can stand the clock speeds your going to take it to. Just google a few terms like "Overclocking msi 865pe neo" things like that, you should hopefully come up with an example of someone overclocking the same rig! To learn just about overclocking just google "overclocking" and i'm very confident you will find a bottomless pit of links to learn from.
    :thumbs

Thanks
    Karma Level

A successful overclock is dependant on a number of factors including whether your motherboard will respond well and all the other periphial devices as well.

A neighbour of mine has an ASUS P4C 800E Deluxe motherboard with OCZ PC4000 Gold memory and we got that up to 3.6GHz on the stock cooler although it was a tad flaky in some games (it was fine in apps though).
    Dropping it down to 3.4 GHz saw it rock solid stable right across the range.

Anybody thinking of overclocking an AMD rig with OCZ memory should forget it, it doesn't overclock at all when used in a motherboard that doesn't have an Intel chipset.

Thanks
    Karma Level

thx guys

Thanks
    Karma Level

not haveing mutch luck guys, the most i can get out of her is fsb205 if i try 210 windos wont load:grr:

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by gallag
    not haveing mutch luck guys, the most i can get out of her is fsb205 if i try 210 windos wont load:grr:
    Post up the details so far.....

Thanks
    Karma Level

if i try to rais the fsb to anything over 205 (3.08ghz) windows wont load . I tryed these settings fsb 220 @1.65v
    and raised the ddr to 2.9
    had to reset the cmos:|

Thanks
    Karma Level

If your unsure, take it slowly. Make 1 small change at a time. I would start by increasing the the FSB by about 3 or 4 at a time checking it is stabile each time you change. I wouldn't touch your memory just now since it looks pretty fast already. Try:

Raising the FSB up to until it becomes unstabile in any program, then back off by a few multiplications and it should be alrite. If you still want to go higher then i'd increase the Vcore by about 0.05V - 0.15V. I'm not sure about the memory really as i would consider myself quite the novice when it comes to hadcore overclocking. I personally have never had to touch memory timings as i've never wanted to go so high that i would have to. But see how far you can get just by changing FSB and Vcore then report back :thumbs

Thanks
    Karma Level

205fsb is still the max, here are my full settings & options as standerd

cpu ratio selectin LOCKED
    spread spectrum DISABLED
    adjust cpu fsb 200
    ddr clock mhz 400 *
    adjust agp/pci clock mhz 66.66 / 33.33
    cpu vcore adjust YES / NO
    cpu vcore 1.5250v
    ddr power voltage 2.6
    agp power voltage 1.5
    * i have no controll over the ddr clock mhz option as it adjusts itself i.e when i set the fsb to 205 the ddr clock auto adjusts to 420mhz