Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Even more bad luck?

I've had my new pc for almost 2 weeks after the previous one spat it's dummy out and blew up. I built it myself and have only got bare minimum software on it and standard pci cards. Yesterday I had a problem whereby the pc started to run quite slowly. I checked the temp inside the pc and it was the usual 24.1c.

I rebooted and it went down fine, started to come back up and then powered off just after going into XP. I looked through the case mod and saw that there was still power to the MB (Green lght was on). Powered off the pc and back on and got into the bios, I just had time to see a message about incorrect cpu setting before it turned off again. It is an AMD Athlon chip and I had it running at 2ghz which is the correct speed.

I checked all wires inside the pc and ran it with the bare minimum inside, RAM, CPU, Keyboard and Mouse and the same thing happened. To rule out the possibility of a virus I have scanned the Hard Drive in the pc in a different pc and it came up clean. I have also tried a different Kettle Lead and have used several diffrent power sockets around m yflat.

I am suspecting that either the heatsink or cpu is a bit dodgy. Any ideas guys?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Even more bad luck?

have you tried reseting the bios, you need to short it out with the jumpers on your motherboard. That will set everything back to default settings, see if that gets you back in. If that fails then sounds like something has gone

Thanks
    Karma Level

Reset the BIOS, not yet.

I got the missus to fire it up this morning and it has been running fine since 10.30ish. I am wondering if there was static on the MB after I reseated it while trying to think of different things that could ahve gone wrong.

If the problem re-occurs tonight I will reset it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Its been running for nearly 5 hours while the missus has been pratting around on there. Probably in chat rooms or looking at filth. If I post back after 6pm it is still working and all hopefully is well.