Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default PSP - Nintendo Killer

Ok fellas. I am no fanboy of any sort, but just by looking at the software that the sony PSP is offering, the specs that is has, FULL Dvd Quality movie library support, Flash memory, the pure design, Disc medium, EVERYTHING about the PSP is going to Crush the Gameboy DS.

You are just wasting your money on the DS if you get it instead of a PSP. I mean, what kind of idiot do you have to be to pass up metal gear, full square enix support, Gran Turismo, Grand Theft Auto, the list goes on People.

The selling point of the DS is that it has 2 screens. SO WHAT. the psp has the meat.....The Software pushing the ingenious design and hardware. dont be a fool. Nintendo's day of dominating the handheld market is over. the PSP will take over. the only thing I am concerned about now is Price. that is the only thing that would sway my decision away from a PSP.

Wait and see, the PSP is going to take over this vast market that nintendo has been dominating for years.

First, Sony took out nintendo in the Console market......and now....they are going to do the same thing in the handheld market. they are going to dominate nintendo where they are most comfortable right now. and that is in the handheld market. just wait.... you'll see.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: PSP - Nintendo Killer

one post in just under a year???

hello nice to meet u, culd of at least introduced urself.

well thanx for sharing that. im sure nintendo wuld like to deffend themselfs but well, it wuld be pointless as u are correct. lol.

but im sure there is some playstation hater nintendo lover on here who will try to put u in ur place.

out of interest.. how often to u browse this forum??

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kold_Fusion
    Ok fellas. I am no fanboy of any sort
    really...?

:whistle

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sony are bidding for Miramax. Clearly if they get this it will give them a MASSIVE back cat of films they can promote on the PSP at decent prices.

I am a Sony hater despite having a PSone and PS2 but Nintendo have messed up here. I cant imagine what they are thinking and what we might see form them consoel wise next time around.

I would hate to see them go the same way as sega and was gutted when all that happened but it has opened up more choice games on the exisitning consoles. As much as i am also a Micrsoft hater i also have an XboX and would love to see them hit success with the XboX2 in Jap.

Nintendo's current Top man (spokes person that is) has also said Internet gamming is not an important factor for nintendo and thier design of thier next gen console. It aint looking good.

Hate Hate Hate, im a playa hater. Game one and all that cheesy stuff.

Cheers.....Q

Thanks
    Karma Level

The same thing was said about PS1, no previous knowledge. Now sony has no previous experience with PSP just as they did with the ps1 but with the psp they have the respect from the developers. Nintendos great comeback to their Snes/Nes days has always been prophet-ed. For the n64 it didnt happen, and especially not with the GameCube.
    Sorry folks about the PSP history, I sold one at the price I bought to a mate and 2nd one I got some cash extra.

ABCMan

shouldnt that be psp - battery killer ?

i cant see why sony buying miramax would help sales of the psp in fact it would help hit the final nail in its coffin after all miramax make very few movies that run under 90 mins and thats all the stamina the psp has when watching movies.

i dont know why sony didnt just call it game gear 2 (which was better than the gameboy but like psp had a battery life measured in nanoseconds instead of hours) competitors to the gameboy franchise need to realise that without the battery life its no contest in the handheld market

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ABCMan
    shouldnt that be psp - battery killer ?

i cant see why sony buying miramax would help sales of the psp in fact it would help hit the final nail in its coffin after all miramax make very few movies that run under 90 mins and thats all the stamina the psp has when watching movies.

i dont know why sony didnt just call it game gear 2 (which was better than the gameboy but like psp had a battery life measured in nanoseconds instead of hours) competitors to the gameboy franchise need to realise that without the battery life its no contest in the handheld market
    Agreed!!! The gameboy ds is going to be a proper handheld in that it has decent battery life. Although, maybe Sony have figured out a was to wirelessly charge batteries and they're keeping it under theirs hats until the psp is released. Actually speaking of hats, maybe the psp comes with a hat with a solar panel on the top so you can use it for a bit longer on nice sunny days.
    -=+PhliX+=-

Thanks
    Karma Level

ive seen a solar powered battery charger for the gba :tongue so i dont see why it cant be made for the psp :nowords:

ABCMan

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay
    ive seen a solar powered battery charger for the gba :tongue so i dont see why it cant be made for the psp :nowords:

because the gameboy uses a very small amount of current compared to the psp so you would need a pretty big solar panel to recharge the psp fast enough to keep it running, sony have thought of this and are releasing an "external battery pack" that should boost movie viewing to 4 hours and games to about 5 hours however, you may recall that the gamegear had a similir add-on but people decided that carrying a unit that took 4 or 6 "D" cell batteries in their pockets wasnt exactly portable, this was another reason for my refering to the psp as gamegear 2.

to be portable it needs good software, good battery life and a compact size sadly the psp fails on 2 out of 3 of those, of course i'll get one like many other people but its more of a compact in car playstation than a handheld for gaming on the go.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kold_Fusion
    Ok fellas. I am no fanboy of any sort, but just by looking at the software that the sony PSP is offering, the specs that is has, FULL Dvd Quality movie library support, Flash memory, the pure design, Disc medium, EVERYTHING about the PSP is going to Crush the Gameboy DS.
    I've seen it all before mate, everytime Nintendo releases an handheld theres been a much more powerful one available, even the very first monochrome gameboy had full colour rivals from Sega game gear and Atari Lynx.

But nintendo's highly addictive games coupled with decent battery life saw them off. This just shows that in the world of hand held having the best tech spec doesn't meant nowt.

Also the 2nd screen isn't just a gimmick it works really well, its also touch sensitive and can be used as extra controls to a game, or to display a map. You can even draw pisstaking pictures of people and send it to other DS users, kids will love that feature.

Playing 4 player mario kart using the wireless gaming feature will be a blast. :thumbs

Thanks
    Karma Level

The PSP is basically going to have the same games as the PS2 etc.... If you want to play these games, play them on a big screen! The companies dont spend millions for these games to be played on tiny LCD screens.

Let me ask you this, you want to play on your PS2 or Cube or Xbox. The missus wants to watch Eastenders. You have 2 TV's, a 32" widescreen with Surround sound etc.... and a protable in the bedroom.

Do you:

A. Let the missus watch Eastenders on the 32" and you play Metal Gear Solid on the 14" Portable

or

B. Demote the missus to the Bedroom and enjoy MGS on your Large 32" widescreen with Awsome surround sound which makes you think you are there!

Exaclty B everytime, so why would you want to play these games on such a Small Screen. Nintendo dont try to do this, the bring out a Hand held Console that has excellent battery life and pick up and play games that would be wasted on a big screen but for the small screen are practible and playable.

Therefore all of those who cant see beyond the Power of the PSP, I hope this may make you think differently. I'm not saying dont buy one, I will buy getting both, but I think the way the PSP could be better would be for the user to be able to use Saved games from PS2 games with the same games on the PSP, that way the user can thrash a game at home then when on the way to work/school the next day they can then continue the game for the journey until they get it home on the big screen again!

I thank you, i had to get that off my chest at the end of the day we are all gadget freaks and get sold by the next bigger/better thing but when you look into it a little deeper......

I for one am always sold by gimmicks. For example yesterday I went out and bought a Mach3 turbo razor because it vibrates to give you a better shave! I guarantee I will be back to my normal Mach 3 when the battery goes flat! (for those too young to shave, dont worry your time will come).

Phew, sorry to ramble but i'm at work bored!

ABCMan, again I know your a Nintendo fan, do i have your support ?
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ye Nintendo are soooooo great....

With alot of N64 games being ported like the Mario 64, Mario Kart 64....ye go for the DS if you want N64 games.....
    Sorry folks about the PSP history, I sold one at the price I bought to a mate and 2nd one I got some cash extra.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by SOMAN
    Ye Nintendo are soooooo great....

With alot of N64 games being ported like the Mario 64, Mario Kart 64....ye go for the DS if you want N64 games.....
    Theres more good games on the n64 than the ps2

Thanks
    Karma Level

The N64 console is fantastic as is the SNES still! and because the graphics technology is now dated in those consoles, it makes perfect sense to put them onto a smaller hand held console like the DS and Advance!

Sony take note!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well who cares really what console is better? Just choose what you prefer, I prefer the Ps2 games over the n64 games for the likes of GT4, PES, MGS, the console isnt out yet and a king has to be crowned? Newcomers can do great, look at Sony....Took over with the Ps1 and then again with the Ps2 and MS did better then Nintendo....

ABCMan

nintendo currently have pretty much 100% of the handheld gaming market worldwide at present its only competitor is the n-gague which hasnt exactly flown off the shelves anywhere. since the launch of the gameboy mono its share of the handheld market has never fallen below 90% worldwide, the gameboy franchise is by far the most successful console ever, even the gameboy advance / sp on its own has shifted more units than the all conquering ps2, like it or not nintendo owns the handheld market and with the ds and the new gba to be launched next year its unlikely that sony will be able to capture much above a single figure % of worldwide sales.

there are many others who have tried and failed
    game.com
    gamegear
    lynx
    pce gt
    neogeo pocket
    neo geo pocket color
    wonderswan
    wonderswan color
    wonderswan crystal
    gp32
    and more

in almost every case they have been superior to their gameboy competitors and in many cases have had better advertising (not hard, nintendo dont seem to be able to advertise) and yet they all failed or have been consigned to a tiny proportion of sales, many never made it out of japan simply because it wasnt worth the companies spending the money to launch them, yes people like us bought them as i'm sure most of us will with the psp, ds and gba-e but the fact is that we make up a tiny proportion of people compared to the numbers that will buy these systems, like it or not a portable games system has to be portable not just something you move from powerpoint to powerpoint or that requires an add on battery pack and in truth the games need to be reprogrammed to fit the smaller screen sizes, there is just no point in putting a lavish ps2 game onto a small screen.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ABCMan
    like it or not a portable games system has to be portable not just something you move from powerpoint to powerpoint or that requires an add on battery pack and in truth the games need to be reprogrammed to fit the smaller screen sizes, there is just no point in putting a lavish ps2 game onto a small screen.
    I thank you

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sony have done it. They have got MGM..... I certainly think Nintendo might fall now.

Sony now have access to a Huge back cat of films, they can chuck these out for minimal profit, making the PSP more attractive, getting revinue from the actual PSP and games, then putting the new films out at a higher price, also cashing in on the fact other people will need to use the PSP media.

I would not be surprised to see sony DVD players with a PSP tray or slot of sorts. Imagine the possibilties.

Perhaps exciting times ahead. Console and Handheld gaming has changed in the many years i have been playing.

Cheers.....Q

Thanks
    Karma Level

Can't really see it making too much difference. If people want to watch DVDs portably, its been possible for years. The PSP will fail because of its battery life, even if its games are brilliant people won't be happy with just a few hours of playing before it has to be charged or a spare battery popped in.
    -=+PhliX+=-

Thanks
    Karma Level

You might well be right. But the type of portable DVD player is still quite big. Kids in cars, parents who cant afford in car entertainment but can afford a PSP and an adapter (ciggy) sorted.

I think the damage might be done to Nintendo before people relasie that the PSP does have a battery proplem.

I hope you are right though. Cheers.....Q

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast