Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default it would seen that even an idiots guide does not guide this idiot!!!

I reinstalled windows xp and sp2 update in my p.c and due to the fact i have had p.c a few years now i dug out the manual and decided to update the bios as well. It used a programe that runs on the p.c from the web site and the updates the bios as and when needed.

Sure enough as per the book it told me i needed a update and to make a boot floppy first in case i had poblems. Gave me the warning and bingo updated my bios.

That was the last time my p.c ran.............just bleeps now and wont boot or do nothing. Tried the boot disc but it appears to be reading it but then just bleeps and thats it. No monitor display either.

Any help please?
    Im off to a place of worship and wont be back till closing time

Thanks
    Karma Level

Question Re: it would seen that even an idiots guide does not guide this idiot!!!

Hi mate.

what type/make of mobo is it? when upgrading were there any errors shown such as red bars or did it go smoothly and pronounce flashing ok?

have you tried resetting your cmos with the jumper?

wd

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: it would seen that even an idiots guide does not guide this idiot!!!

ok its a msi kt3 ultra series motherboard. the bios is updated from there web site. Can you explain what jumper im looking for as i have the manual.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: it would seen that even an idiots guide does not guide this idiot!!!

Hi, you will be looking for a Jbat jumper, power down, look for that jumper take it off and move it on the other pin, best use the manual for location as I dont have that mobo, anyway leave it there for a minute then put it back and retry booting, if it works goto BIOS and reset any configs you may need such as FSB etc.. anyone with this model comment? Ive a MSI but its the nforce delta so unsure of locations of jbat on this model.

BTW Ive used live update without problem but I do prefer the ramdisk method.

wd

Thanks
    Karma Level

is the jumper the same thing as clearing the cmos jumper as i have found the instructions to do that?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by fireman2203
    is the jumper the same thing as clearing the cmos jumper as i have found the instructions to do that?
    thats the one

Thanks
    Karma Level

changed the jumper over and left it for a bit. restarted pc but its jst the same. tries to read info off floopy it made and the bleeps 4 times.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think 4 times bleep is graphics card failure, I could be wrong thou, have you also tried safe mode?

Do you have the MSI D-Bracket (4 leds) if so what are the colour combo?

what sort of boot floppy did you make, does it contain the bios files or is it just a windows boot floppy.. questions questions..
    Last edited by waveydavey; 1st December 2004 at 01:38 PM. Reason: more questions

Thanks
    Karma Level

the 4 LED's are all on and 2 are red 2 are green. says in manual that this is a processor fault. The floppy it made was a dos floppy and not windows. i watched it make it.

Cant get to safe mode as i cant get it to boot to anything yet. Is it worth trying to remove the graphics card and booting up or is the bios fooked. u can tell me i wont cry to much and ive been told worse news
    Last edited by fireman2203; 1st December 2004 at 02:14 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

MSI web site says the bios chip can be reprogrammed and point to a company inthe netherlands that will do it for about £20. Anyone know of a company in uk prefer leicester way that can do it ????

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sorry what i mean by safe mode is to set on the mobo another jumper to 100hz, reset your cmos and try again.

Going back to the boot floppy, are you sure the bios files were placed on this when it was made up?

dont give up as ive seen this before and usually it does sort itself out after a bit of jiggery pokery, if thats the right words

Btw, what model kt3 ultra is it and which bios downloaded, there are several models with diffent bios revision it looks like.

also from MSI about your 4 beeps & recovery instructions.

1.Rename the desired AMI BIOS file to AMIBOOT.ROM and save it on a floppy disk. e.g. Rename A569MS23.ROM to AMIBOOT.ROM 2.Insert this floppy disk in the floppy drive. Turn On the system and press and hold Ctrl-Home to force update. It will read the AMIBOOT.ROM file and recover the BIOS from the A drive. 3.When 4 beeps are heard you may remove the floppy disk and restart the computer.

wd
    Last edited by waveydavey; 1st December 2004 at 03:41 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The bios resets to default 100hz when you remove the battery so i know thats been done. Had a look at the floppy using my laptop and the file is already named AMIBOOT.ROM which is strange since i havent renamed it.

I think the bios chipset is a K333and other numbers i got off the boot sequence before i killed the p.c was A6380vms and AMIBIOS 7.10.2002 (think thats the build date) as thats whats written on it. To be honest i wasnt looking just due to the fact that MSI programme is supposed to look at your bios for you and tell you that it needs an update and you just click update bios. How nieve of me hey lol

Just for the record ive just repeated the instructions given and it does the following..

I hear the floppy running as if its loading the programme and i still holding the ctrl and home key down. It the bleeps 4 times and i release keys and the remove floppy. I then restart p.c and it just looks for a floppy in drive the bleeps and repeats this. All the time the monitor is blank.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i was reading wrong chip. bios chip reads the following:

AMIBIOS
    copyright1999
    BM89

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by fireman2203
    changed the jumper over and left it for a bit. restarted pc but its jst the same. tries to read info off floopy it made and the bleeps 4 times.
    did you put the jumper back before restarting pc ?
    Cheers

Sniper

My Specs
    ---------

x-ray (i wish) :p

Thanks
    Karma Level

yes put the jumper back and after consulting the manufacture i have destroyed the bios chip. Ive ordered a new 1 for $36 from america and it comes with latest firmware already istalled. Think ill fit chip and if it boots up ok ill put this 1 down to experiance.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Bad News Re: it would seen that even an idiots guide does not guide this idiot!!!

oh well cant win em all, bet you wont do that again, lol.

Got to say thou I aint never had any bother, done it lots. but I do hold my breath, keep my fingers crossed and my eyes tight shut just in case, maybe thats the answer. :nowords:

wd