Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Attention hints & tips thread

this thread is a place to post any tips or tricks that you might like to share with the rest of us to help make all our lives easier!!

here's a few to get us started:

WD40 sprayed onto a cloth will bring up dirty wheels like new with minimal effort.

mr sheen or pledge (furniture polish) will give a perfect showroom shine to your paintwork and it will cover small scratches.

fill the back of electrical block connectors with silicone sealant to prevent water damage & electrical failures.

filling tubular handlebars with silicone sealent and sand can help to damp out vibrations and sometimes will prevent wobbles.

a crushed can makes a handy side stand plate if you need to park on soft ground (i use a stand puck on tarmac on the hot summer days as well)

to remove sun dried bugs from fairings or visors, soak a teatowel in very hot water then lay it on the part to be de-bugged, leave for an hour then simply wipe off the bugs without any danger of scratching the panel or your visor.

when locking up your bike and there are no loops or posts to chain up to, loop your chain through someone elses chain. two bikes are harder to steal - whoever gets back first simply unloops their chain from the other one.

if you use a disk lock, place the lock as close to the underside of the caliper as possible incase you forget its fitted and try to ride away, the bike will only be able to move a few mm before stopping dead - hopefully that wont be fast enough to do any damage. place a bungy cord from the lock to the front brake lever.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: hints & tips thread

can't think of any myself but wanted to say thanks for those pointers

Thanks
    Karma Level

I do the WD40 one all the time,especially on the back wheel where you get fling off .off the chain....
    also when you get fling off on your panel work above the chain....(try in a small area first)..

if you use any soft luggage on your bike put strips of duct tape on your panels were your bungees touch otherwise they rub away at your paintwork........

when doing an oil change,if you can't get your bucket etc under the bike for the oil to drain into,try cutting down a cardboard box and putting a binbag inside the box.

Thanks
    Karma Level

A small circular magnet placed over the ignition barrel can also be used to remind you to take off the disc lock

Thanks
    Karma Level

i use baby wipes on my wheels there are mint try them urselves.

Thanks
    Karma Level

no polish just good old mister sheen give it a try much better and the shine .

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by WTD
    A small circular magnet placed over the ignition barrel can also be used to remind you to take off the disc lock
    I use a curly key ring retainer across the break and clutch lever,
    I also saw one with a model aircraft transmiter flag on it saying "remove before flight" tickled me that.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If your going for a ride in an area your not sure of then try getting one of the cheap sun blinds pull it open and fix an a4 poly bag to it (i use double sided tape) then get a printout of the area your going to and pop it in the bag.You then use the little suckers to fix it to your tank and when you want to check where you are just pull the blind open.saves having to carry an atlas with you.

Thanks
    Karma Level

when locking your bike up and there is absolutly nothing solid to chain it too lock it to another bikes chain. or if in a group. moving one bike is easier than 2. or 3 or 4.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by matt1chelski
    when locking your bike up and there is absolutly nothing solid to chain it too lock it to another bikes chain. or if in a group. moving one bike is easier than 2. or 3 or 4.
    thanks mate, but tigger posted that when he opened this thread :nowords:

Thanks
    Karma Level

oops my mistake :-(

Thanks
    Karma Level

got told this 1 the other day
    when going on on a ferry when they've finished tying your bike down get a ratchet strap or something similar,tie it around your front wheel and your sidestand tight...
    so even though your bikes tied down it still won't slip off the side stand in rought weather....#

if you lick/wet your earplugs with spit they slide in much easier....disgusting i know but does work

Thanks
    Karma Level

when your filling your tank at the petrol station....
    grab a few pairs of the plastic gloves for putting diesel in,,,
    take up no space and are excellent for keeping your hands dry & warm when you get caught out with just unlined summer gloves..

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi M8s,
    One i use, a ignition key hid somewhere safe on bike, you never know when this may come in handy. has saved me a long walk before now. id lose me head if it were not attached to me. lol. leonard. :thumbs

Thanks
    Karma Level

if you have a full faired bike - save money when you take it to be serviced by taking the fairing lowers off yourself - this will save you paying for half hours labour, which could be about £25+

and always ask the shop to keep the old parts for you to inspect before you pay.
    if you put marks on the airfilter / oil filter / sparkplugs / oil filler cap etc etc, the technition will see them and do a spot on job as he will think you might be undercover trading standards (and you will soon tell if the bits they show you are yours or not)

Thanks
    Karma Level

a trick i used to use in the old days ! was carry a chain split llink on the bike fixed around brake or clutch cable then if the worst came and my chain broke at least i could get home . dont do it now as i ride a gixer thou with a rivited chain but smaller bikes should be ok.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Re: hints & tips thread

Wipe your visor ( Inside ) with washing up liquid and buff off .
    This will help prevent moisture and misting up, " work's for me"

Also wipe your visor ( outside ) with rain clear this also work's well to repel rain at slow speed's

If you ever drop your bike, and brake a lever! :annoyed: Drill the end with the end stop?? and use it as zip puller " Ideal for those cold and wet day's".

And not forgetting the chain, fully remove ( Don't tell the missus ) place chain in oil , heat up and allow to cool off , the oil will fully penetrate the link's roller's etc, Beat's self lubricating chains.
    Last edited by Tradeas1; 25th November 2005 at 02:03 AM. Reason: forgot to enter extra info

Thanks
    Karma Level

i used diamond brite 2 stage polish on the bike - now just hose off to keep clean - bugs easier to remove also

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cleaning the outside of a visor with Mr sheen or pledge helps the rain bead off just like rain ex. But must be reapllied after every time the visors cleaned.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cut a plastic pop bottle in half,insert your cluch cable in the neck of the bottle, seal with plasterceine & electricians tape, hang it up on a washing line, then part fill the bottle with oil, leave over night, to oil the cable right through, dont forget to put the other part of the pop bottle under the other end of the cable to catch the oil in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast