Close

View Poll Results: Mod Chip - death of the Cube ??

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Are you Joking - it 's just want the cube needed !

32 71.11%
  • Uh Oh - Its Screwed now !!

1 2.22%
  • Shut Up Fatso your stopping me playing RE4 (on my PAL CUBE)

12 26.67%
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Mod chip - death of the cube ?

Hello,

have just reread some old posts I want to post a question

Mod Chip for the cube - good thing for it or bad ??

cheers
    Ironman

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Mod chip - death of the cube ?

As much as I love the GC, i've got to admit it's already lost the race, the modchip can only be good if it means people buy more units, but it still wont persuade companies to produce games for it

Most of my fave ever games are GC games and i've got about 40 originals and have no intention of modding mine so wouldnt make any difference to me, but it's easy to seee that compared to the XBOX + PS2 that the GC is lagging way too far behind to ever dream of catching up. A modchip will make people buy more GC's great, that'll persuade nintendo to stay in the console race perhaps, but as for it resurecting the GC (as in software) then dont think a modchip will make a difference, the GC is on its way out ((

now look out for the GC fanboys to come flame (where's ABCMan?)

http://www.hobbyrc.co.uk for all your quadcopter, actioncam + rc needs :)

flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/_Belial/ (SFW) http://www.flickr.com/photos/_carljones/ (NSFW)
    psn / xbl / WiiU : rhwbanz

Thanks
    Karma Level

cube was already dead
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2631290
    i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz/3060ti 8GB Oculus Quest 2
    Laptop Asus FX505GT i5 9500/1650 4GB

ABCMan

although only second to sony it was miles behind, the xbox went from nothing to almost equal with the cube when it was chipped so as far as sales are concerned its got to be a good thing, some stores reported a 40% increase in sales once people found the chip worked, the big question is will it hurt games sales? the answer is no, not realy, those who are purchasing a cube because it can be chipped probably wouldnt have bought one at all if they had to buy games for it, yet now they have one its quite likely that they will buy an occasional game (or get bought one for bday/xmas) all sales that simply wouldnt have happened, those who have been byuing cube games since the beginning will continue to buy them, maybe at a decreased rate or only the decent titles but again, that rewards the companies who make the effort to produce a decent game and those who just turn out dross, dont deserve to make a profit anyway.

all in all its a good thing, will ensure that historicly the cube maintains its second place and introduces a few new owners to the joys of real gameplay.

Thanks
    Karma Level

lol second, get real...

theres a reason all major high street stores, like dixons, currys, argos etc. dumped the cube... its dead, died months ago (sadly)

PStwo and xbox sold out all over this xmas, you're never ever going to struggle to buy a cube.
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2631290
    i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz/3060ti 8GB Oculus Quest 2
    Laptop Asus FX505GT i5 9500/1650 4GB

ABCMan

Quote Originally Posted by maltloaf
    lol second, get real...

theres a reason all major high street stores, like dixons, currys, argos etc. dumped the cube... its dead, died months ago (sadly)

PStwo and xbox sold out all over this xmas, you're never ever going to struggle to buy a cube.
    and there was me thinking that the world was a slightly bigger place than dixons & currys, xbox is third in the usa (only just as its neck and neck) and in japan i'm not entirely sure if anyone actualy bought an xbox at all, if they did i dont think its sales register on the sales charts i can still remember the pre-orders for the xbox on one large jap store, and their comments thaat they had now shipped BOTH pre-ordered machines.

yes the cube is certainly third in the uk salles, no doubts, but the snes was second to the megadrive in the uk but it still trounced it everywhere else.

lets be honest here, nintendo hate us and show it every time they release a console or a game, but like it or not, they do know how to make a successful console even if its only good for second place and at present they own the handheld market, thats a lot of people who own portable games consoles and they almost all own nintendo ones, now if the ds couldnt play gba games sony's life would have been easier as it would be a straight choice, but both the ds and gba spe later this year will allow users to continue playing the games they already own so the transition to either ds or spe is an easy one.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I am an advocate of choice - and I've made mine ;-P

Nintendo have such tight rules on developers no wonder there are not the catalogue of games that other consoles have!

Just take a look at Res Evil 4 - Might not be the greatest game in the world but it shows the graphical power of the cube.

GC, XBOX and PS2 are nearing the end of their life cycle so it's not fair to ask if it's over for GC.. XBOX and PS2 are still going and there have been chips for them for ages!
    Last edited by EvilBoB; 18th January 2005 at 11:40 AM.
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks
    Karma Level

the UFO or MGD never killed off the old SNES/MEGADRIVE consoles - they just ran out of life span once the PSX came along and showed them how to do it properly ;-)
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ABCMan
    and in japan i'm not entirely sure if anyone actualy bought an xbox at all
    there are still quite a lot of japanese players on Steel battalion: LOC.. the best game in the world!

i dont think this mod is going to affect sales either way. not yet at least.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think your probally right - I bought mine 2nd hand - so did evilbob, If you are getting one to chip theres no point buying it new (and hence there are no profits going to the manufacturer)

ADDITIONAL

I cant see Nintendo making any money on the hardware anyway (similar to most console producers) so a modchip allowing people to not buy the software is only a bad thing this late in a consoles life span.
    Last edited by fe_man2000; 19th January 2005 at 10:12 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

So far pretty even scored between those who think it can only help and those who think I am fat and should shut it !! O Well back to RE4 then and some cakes I think.

Thanks
    Karma Level

lol.. i'm actually thinking of removing mine.. the only games that are worth getting on backup are, IMO, worth paying for anyway e.g Res Evil, Paper Mario, the Zelda's.

Thanks
    Karma Level

the chips the same price as a cube,well almost,the cube does have some good games,like the other consoles,but look at the shelfs in hmv,there mostly taken up by ps2 and xbox games,the cube games only have a small section,yes it has good games but very few,iv had a cube almost since day 1 n i have aba 12 games,now iv got a mod,myt aswel sell me games n get em all agn plus more,its worth getting it moded even if its on its last leg,at £30 a game i cudnt afford to buy em all,so myt aswell get em now

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've used my cube more in the last month since getting a viper then I have in the previous 3 years of owning it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm waiting to get the chip but have already downloaded 10+ games in preparation and the Cube will see more use than it has in nearly all its life. Nintendo won't see any of that money but they weren't going to anyway. I have bought 2 wavebirds and a memory card since the chp came out and that money might have gone to nintendo if ebay hadn't offered it cheaper (wavebirds aren't out hee though are they?.

Thanks
    Karma Level

10+ games...get active, lol

as for wavebirds, I am the proud owner of 4 now and I ****ing love them, they are awesome pads no doubt about it, possibly the best pad in the world, ever - damn fine but a ps2 pad is great as well.

what's the hold up with your viper? if you're holding out for the RippeR///GC I probably wouldn't bother. The viper is a great chip, it works perfectly for its functions and once a bios comes out that wqorks flawlessly on every cube it will just be a media (possibly laser) issues only (well there's always space for bad images and othe things). I get a few DRE's but I dont care, i'd say it works perfectly on my cube - it's a Rev 16 PAL...Datawrite Titanius and Ritek G04 dye discs, all good
    I'm new to this :huh:

Thanks
    Karma Level

ritek and sdloader all the way :thumbs