Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Thats the spirit Stephane...;-)

Good to see him come out with all guns blazing.....:thumbs The man speaks the truth!!

I'LL HELP HOOPS TO DOUBLE Jan 30 2005
    By Scott Mcdermott

SWISS star Stephane Henchoz has revealed the lure of the Champions League and a place at the 2006 World Cup made him snub Bolton and Feyenoord to join Celtic.
    The defender finally put pen to paper for the Hoops on Friday night after weighing up several offers - including one from Rangers.

But the 30-year-old, who has signed until the end of the season, was determined to stay in the big time.

And Henchoz intends to earn a longer deal once Celtic have won the DOUBLE and guaranteed a place in year's Champions League.
    The former Liverpool man star: 'I'm here to help Celtic win the double.
    'I liked what Martin O'Neill said, he sold it to me. Knowing they were a big club who are in the Champions League every season played a major part in me coming here.
    'Hopefully if I do well there will be an chance to stay and play in it next season.
    'I could have gone to Feyenoord on a long contract but my priority was to stay in Britain.
    'I've spent eight seasons here, learned a new language and my wife just had our first child three weeks ago.

'It wasn't an easy decision because there was more than one club involved.

'I had to weigh up the positives and negatives but money wasn't the important thing.

'I could have had a two and a half-year deal at Bolton or Feyenoord on more money but playing for a big club - with so many fans-in the Champions League every year was a major factor.

'I still want to turn out for Switzerland but for six months I haven't been in the starting line-up because I wasn't playing at Liverpool.

'That played a part in me coming to Celtic as well. I've never been in a World Cup and Germany 2006 would be my last chance to achieve it.'

Celtic boss O'Neill has already warned his newest recruit he'll have to play catch up on fitness if he wants a place in the side.

But Henchoz isn't fazed - he says working under Felix Magath at Hamburg eight years ago has prepared him for ANY fitness battle.

He said: 'We'd be up at six in the morning for training and during pre-season we would train three times a day.

'So I'll have no fear about getting up to the pace with the rest of the Celtic players.'...

So hopefully that clears up his reasons for choosing Celtic over the orc's:tongue
    And knocked back a 2, 2 n half year deal too........ Stephane_the_Bhoy

Last edited by toto67; 30th January 2005 at 05:10 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Thats the spirit Stephane...;-)

we both know he wanted too much money in wages, then when rangers bought zorba he was left high and dry, the premiership wouldnt pay the inflated wages either, but in steps martin another over 30 on the books with no sell on value..

your club are cheating you.

We Only Need Nine men, we only need nine men.