Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default [DS] First homebrew game!

Just saw this posted over at the modgods

HUGE NEWS! DesktopMan has made the first homebrew game for the Nintendo DS.
    Three guesses what it is.

Look closely to see his name.

All I can say is mad props. This was way sooner than I expected and once DarkFader has cracked the encryption the common folks will be able to appreciate a slew of home brewed games.

http://www.hobbyrc.co.uk for all your quadcopter, actioncam + rc needs :)

flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/_Belial/ (SFW) http://www.flickr.com/photos/_carljones/ (NSFW)
    psn / xbl / WiiU : rhwbanz

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: [DS] First homebrew game!

This is great news :thumbs

Its not even out in the UK yet and already homebrew games are here. Hopefully the encryption can be cracked soon, then we won't have to pay the ridiculous prices for the games at the shops.

Thanks
    Karma Level

*begin rant*

Whilst i'm all for homebrew stuff on consoles, nothing wrong with wanting to play some classic games on your DS, I can't really condone your point about ridiculous game prices. If you think that £25 for a game is overpriced then you're mistaken. You'd happily (assuming you pay for things) pay £15 for DVD to watch for 90 minutes, but dont think the extra £10 for a game which you'll play for many hours is worth it?

I'm not saying i'm squeeky clean but I do spend a lot of cash on original software and although there's some crap ones in there the good ones are worth every penny I paid for them.

A good game is worth paying for, as simple as that and for the good games the price you pay in the shops is far from ridiculous considering how much entertainment you get out of them.

*end rant*

flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/_Belial/ (SFW) http://www.flickr.com/photos/_carljones/ (NSFW)

ABCMan

flash cards are a great way of deciding what games are worth buying and what deserves to fail without the punter getting ripped off on a stores "trade - in" scheme as well as for homebrew games (like tetris) or emulators, its all weel and good to simply use copies of every game that comes out but firstly you'd need a lot of expensive flash cards to carry a decent selection of games and secondly a good game is worth buying, save piracy for the crap like halo 2 where you can boot it up, play for 10 mins, think "god this sucks" and never play it again (then put an original of metroid on to remind yourself how it should be done)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Belial I see your point but yes I do think £25 is expensive for a handheld game. When home console games are only £30 (generally), and these require far more work on the developers half, whereas handheld games are probably relativley easy to develop in comparison (im assuming here, i have no experience in developing either console of handheld games).

Don't get me wrong, its not as if I won't buy any DS game, I'd be ashamed to own a games machine and not any original games (apart from mario which came with it), but most of the games out now (in USA, obviously they're not in UK atm) I don't think would warrant a £25 price tag.. barring may be Wario Ware touched which I think is highly addictive after playing the demo. I have seen the DS games in development and can't remember the exact titles but there were some in there like the FF titles I will defo be buying.

However, for now, there aren't really many decent games out so rather than sticking to Mario that came with it, it would be nice to trial out some of the other games which I probably wouldn't normally buy.

Not having a go, but just out of interest which DS games will you be purchasing over the next few weeks? The only one I would even consider buying is Wario ware touched...

Thanks
    Karma Level

I dont think you can say that a home console game is worth more than a handheld game really. I've played many handheld games for much longer than console ones (golden sun 1+2 on gba, future wars and certainly ridge racers on PSP atm) so i dont really think that's a fair comparison at all. By your rationale games that dont have such a high production value arent as worthy as ones that do? But surely even games like lumines on PSP, will keep you playing for ages, production isn't that high on it i'm sure, but would you say that something like say, fifa 200x is worth more? surely fifa spends more time on advertising than doing anything major to teh gmae these days so inmho i'd say lumines is "worth" paying more for?

At the end of the day it's all down to your opinion, if you dont feel that games are worth paying for then fine, but I still think you're wrong in generalising that games are overpriced. Because I feel that a good game is money well spent, esp compared to paying £15 for a dvd or £8 to watch a film at a cinema (or £10 for a kfc bargain bucket )

As for DS games, tbh I wont be buying many, i'd rather spend my money on PSP games, i've already got ridge racer + mario and tbh they're not doing it for me, but that's more down to problems I have with the console than the games (mario just doesnt seem the same for me without a good analogue stick

I'll buy yoshi in a week or two (once lik-sang start shipping again after chinese holidays) because that looks fun. But atm i'd rather spend my money on PSP games, and hey, they're more expensive, but "worth" it

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by _Belial
    But surely even games like lumines on PSP, will keep you playing for ages, production isn't that high on it i'm sure, but would you say that something like say, fifa 200x is worth more?

NOOOOOOO m8 Fifa is RUBBISH!! Pro Evo on the other hand..... (better not get this started again)

Seriously though, I do agree with you though that if you think a game is good then it is worthy of its price. I have bought many original games in the past, the ones which I think are excellent games, and they are worth the money.

The problem is that with the DS, from the games devlopment list there is only a handful I am really interested in, like Bomberman, FFIII, Viewtiful Joe, Advanced Wars 3, Metroid Prime, Secret of Mana, and may be Another code & Animal Crossing, also is there a Winning Eleven game coming to DS or is that just PSP? Anyway, thats quite a lot of games to buy even if it is a while before they are all out. Plus there will be more that would interest me which haven't been announced yet.

But the above games are from a list of about 200+, so thats a lot of games to miss out on if I don't buy them. Even if I might not like the game so much, it would be nice to try them on a flash card because I might find I really like a few which I wouldn't normall have bothered buying.

BTW, I also accept your view that a home console game and a handheld game are worth the money if you enjoy them regardless of development time. But I could also see why some game developers would be slightly annoyed that handheld games sell for only £5 cheaper than home console games as they probably take about 1/10th of the time to produce in most cases.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I just dont wanna spend money on games i dont give a shit about the ethics of it all just like sega sony and nintendo ,atari,3do and any other game publisher had no ethics charging me 70 quid a game back in the day.
    Now its my turn and im sure none of them are gonna starve
    Bitches aint shit!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

different games appeal to different people, some of my mates can sit on a game for 10 hours straight where as i cant stand a minute of it. whatever floats your boat, look at the software available and think....do i want to play those games...and if you do, then purchase, if you dont, then buy somethin else.

the DS/PSP argumet is growing old already, if you dont want or like the console, dont buy it!