Close

Thread: Bad teacher.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Bad teacher.

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...503010489/1070

Video of teacher's outburst is on Web

Incident may lead to cell phone ban

The Board of Education may toughen its policy on use of wireless telephones in schools, after a videotape showing a Brick Township High School teacher screaming at his students to show respect for the national anthem — and then pulling the chair from underneath one student who refused to stand — was posted on several independent Web sites.

The tape was made by a student in Stuart Mantel's class and shows Mantel screaming at his students about standing quietly while "The Star-Spangled Banner" is played. When a student, identified on the Web site only as "Jay," refused to stand, the video shows Mantel yanking the chair from under him.

Although state statute does not specifically address whether a student must stand during the national anthem, Ron Rice, a spokesman with the state Department of Education, said there have been numerous court rulings stating that a student cannot be punished for refusing to stand while the Pledge of Allegiance is recited. Rice said those same rules apply to the anthem.

On the video, Manteltells the class to stand and keep their mouths shut. At one point, whistling can be heard, to which Mantel screams for the student to stop. He also told the students to stop whispering.

Then, while the anthem is playing, Mantel approached Jay, who was sitting, and told him to stand. When Jay told Mantel he did not have to stand, Mantel pulled the chair from under him.

"Are you serious?" Jay asked.

"I am damn well serious," Mantel replied.

Undisclosed discipline

According to a written description posted on some of the Web sites, the student who taped the confrontations was suspended for 10 days. Mantel was not disciplined.

District spokeswoman Jennifer Strano declined to say whether anyone had been disciplined, but said "appropriate administrative action" had been taken. School officials also would not identify "Jay" or the student using the camera phone.

Mantel has worked in the district since 2001, according to a state database.

Schools Superintendent Thomas L. Seidenberger issued a statement that "not all details cited on the Internet regarding this incident are factual." The statement did not elaborate.

"We as a Board of Education realize that we are ushering a new era and will be forced to review our policies and perhaps enforce a more stringent districtwide policy regarding electronic recording devices in the classroom," Seidenberger added.

Strano said each school in the district has a policy prohibiting the use of wireless phones in school during school hours.

In the statement, Seidenberger said he may ask the school board to adopt a stricter policy. He also said he may ask the board to consider developing a policy regarding unauthorized taping.

According to at least one Web site, students knew Mantel "was gonna go nuts because he frequently used to" over disrespect for the anthem, and that the students brought the camera into the classroom "to expose the teacher in case he did anything again."

See the video here.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Bad teacher.

Wouldn't look too out of place in my old school. Especially my PE teacher's they were psychos. They would give you a bollocking if your sports kit was slightly dirty at the start. I remember once one of them screaming at one lad "YOU ARE NOT GOING TO GO ON MY PLAYING FIELD WITH THOSE DIRTY BOOTS!". I was in hysterics.

But to be honest, in this day and age, the more discipline the better.
    Mladen

Thanks
    Karma Level

I was expecting fisticuffs and blood.

Quote Originally Posted by mladen
    But to be honest, in this day and age, the more discipline the better.
    Agreed.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The reason I put this up was to get a reaction. I know when I was at school the teachers had a whale of a time. One kid got his back broke by a teacher who didn't get fired.

Molliecoddled little shits that they are these days.

Thanks
    Karma Level

That was lame lol i was expecting the kid to go flying on his arse when he had the chair pulled from under him lol