Close

Thread: Mcdst

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Mcdst

Thinking of doing an MCDST but probably off my own back, possibly distance learning etc. Anyone have any advice on companies to approach that aren't too expensive, resources, or anything in general I should bear in mind?

Any help appreciated, karma awarded naturally.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Mcdst

Hi there,
    If you want to do this qualification then the best bet is to do the Microsoft training course. I think you can do both modules in one week. Of course, this is only good if you have money to burn. If it is books you need get SYBEX... I've always found themto be the best.
    However, if you are currently working in IT and know XP and a bit of TCP/IP, then I would just look for a couple of on-line "question and answer" websites and get a load of prep questions.
    The exams are not to difficult but at £100 a pop you want to make sure you pass.

I'm MCSE and MCDBA. I know my stuff but have failed the odd exam because Microsft try and trick you with the questions. www.transender.com is a good site for questions. They give you a good feel of how the actual exam questions are presented. The pack is about $249 for MCDST but you should be able to find it "cheaper" somewhere else.

Don't do braindumps! There are too many people with paper certificates and no experience. As an IT Manager I come across loads when I need to recruit. You ask a simple question about TCP/IP routing to an "MCSE" and they haven't a clue.

Good luck! :thumbs
    Last edited by wulliec; 11th March 2005 at 05:31 PM. Reason: missed a word

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nice one, appreciated

Thanks
    Karma Level

Tech Re: Mcdst

I am not sure if it is possible but a possible route for training is the CBT nuggets . They helped me lots to get qualifications ... and they make a great (if not excellent learning tool) .. Tho be warned some of the blokes do have annoying voices.

Download one of their trial nuggets and see what i mean for learning.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I just started self studying MCDST. The books cost me £30 of Amazon and i found out that Lancaster Uni do the MS Exams and at a good price and various packages. They do exam only, exam and 1 hours tutorage before the exam and they to boot camps as well i think.

MSCDST aint hard either. Been flying through the books, but as wulliec says it aint cheap to do the exams and i'm gonna do loads of practice exams!!