Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Where to buy a modded GC?

Hey guys,

I have recently been toying with the idea of getting a GC, but would ideally like to buy a modded one. I would be greatful if anyone could point me in the right direction.
    Cheers

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Where to buy a modded GC?

what sort of mod?

ViperGC?
    RippeR///GC? or
    Softmod?

more info can be found in this forum or www.maxconsole.com
    I'm new to this :huh:

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by shangrula
    what sort of mod?

ViperGC?
    RippeR///GC? or
    Softmod?

more info can be found in this forum or www.maxconsole.com
    Thanks mate. Am checking that site out now. Im a noob to console modding so am just reading up now.
    Cheers

Thanks
    Karma Level

if you're a noob i'd probably go with the ViperGC but only after some research, becuase you would be gutted if u spent loads of cash and got something that wasn't what you were expecting. Well I say that, the ViperGC chip is perfect (or close anyway) it's the BIOS that runs on the chip that *can* have problems.

The main bios used it the Cobra bios, the Cobra/Mental cube team are/are close to the guys who made the viper in the first place. currently we're only on v.03 and v0.4 of the cobra bios but v1.0 is out in less than 8 or so days now. A few people have problems with the cobra bios's (currnently it's one for one set of GC owners and the other for the others). When v1.0 comes out it's meant to fix a lot of problems (well, we all hope!).

There are many varients of bios's as well, like GCOS/Anaconda... GCOS and it's varients are worth looking in to as well...plus with a Viper u can easily flash a new bios in seconds (from DVD-r or a PC parallel port, PC is best for me as GCOS can't be reflashed with DVD-r (yet))

that might've been a good head start, hehe.

there are people on here who have sorted others out in the past with viper'd GC's, they may be able to help you. I've also got another cube in my house that I was thinking of viper'ing up or softmodding if anyone wanted it but I have to see first as I might just keep it and have another GC upstairs

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks again for the info mate. I was just looking at the ViperGC mod, and am quite liking the idea of being able to upgrade and change the BIOS via PC connectivity. What exactly does the ViperGC let you do, so far I have managed to find out that it allows backups and imports to be played, which is ideal. Does it do anything else? Also where do you go about getting the BIOS updates from?

Thanks
    Karma Level

all bios updates will appear problably on here and definatly on maxconsole.

all major ones will be here tho, i'll bring them over and put them on my hosting as they can't be stored here (have a look at ths stickies in this section for cobra and NFO files to read).

I woudl go with the ViperGC. But do u have a DOL-001 or a DOL-101 version GC? it makes less difference but the DOL-001 GC's seem to work better than the 101's. U can check by looking at the sticker on the reverse of the GC or by looking to see if it has a digital out on the back, if it has one it's a 001.

as for extra features the viperGCs sole function is to run the bios, it's the bios that controlls everything else.

BIOS features are:

Booting DVD-r backup games
    booting homebrew from memory card/SD adapters/LAN
    LAN access including flashing the viper (not yet but soon I think) also loading files onto memory card and SD (secure digital flash memory, homemade or nintendo adapter required, ask if u wanna know more)
    booting games off the LAN

all LAN stuff needs a Broadband adapter, BBA.

that's it really. it's main feature it just to be capable of running whatever u chuck at it, which is all it needs to do really.

out of interest what else would u want?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thats excellent :thumbs Especially the booting from LAN. I was wondering what BBA meant, when reading certain articles. Currently I don't have a GC cause im looking to buy a pre-modded one. Is there any place I could get a pre-modded DOL-001? Also you mention the 001 has a digital out, does this mean the 101 does not? I am also interested to know what homebrew is. Is that the OS? As for wanting something else from a mod, I can't really think of anything, so it sounds ideal

Thanks
    Karma Level

homebrew is the affectionate term used to describe non commercial software.
    just like non commercial beer aka homebrew

emulators, game remakes, apps etc etc

Thanks
    Karma Level

basicily the digital out it something you'll never want anyway, it's all to do with progessive scan and stuff. it was taken out becuase noone used it.

what u can do with it is make a converter cable which turns the diggy out into a VGA signal to use with a monitor...however in all reality it's cheaper to buy a good qualtiy TV card, plus a TV card has many more benafits as well as being able to plug a console in (like TV on ya PC)

As for buying a premodded, I dont know, u'll have to find the list of resellers for the ViperGC (on maxconsole, should be in there somewhere) then u can probe them to see if the sell them yet...or ask on here someone may be able to help u out.

botting games from LAN is good and bad too, not all games work, and u need different loaders on your PC running to serve difference games. However it's probably about as compatible as using DVD-R, becuase DVD-r has many issues in it's own right - more to read on maxconsole too about that fun thing ahead of you...which media

also replacement lids are coming out soon so full sized DVD-r is an option, the GC uses mini dvd-r and they are a pain in the ass for a lot of aGC users, some work flawlessly in machines and not at all in others, full sized dvd-r has a much btter sucess rate

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think I will wait for the fullsize ones to be released and read up some more on Maxconsole. Cheers for the help guys

Thanks
    Karma Level

NP, good luck, there's a fair bit of info