Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Attention Recent key changes.

Been thinking about the key changes of late (Yes they rolled again today!) and I was wondering whether or not this sudden spat of rolling every week is a new plan of action for "THEM".

If "THEY" roll the keys every week they will be providing a market for people wanting titanium and opus cards. Do we think that becuase of the lack of supplies of these cards that it would be easy for "THEM" to monitor high volume purchasers of said cards and raid addresses accordingly.

I am aware of the multiple uses of the cards, but surely traders would stand out from the crowd if sales records were to be looked at.

I also read that "THEY" are setting up bogus websites, claiming to sell smart cards, to tray and catch the traders. This sounds very feasible due to the ease and low cost of actioning such a plan.

Looks to me like "THEY" are really wising up after all these years of losing so much £££.

Read in local rag too of two addresses near me being raided... I know at the moment "THEY" only really care about the traders, but how long before they start going for the personal (ab)users too.

Traders beware!

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Recent key changes.

I don't think they will roll everyweek mate. I was speaking to someone from *** last weekend who said that it cost's them around £300,000.00 for every roll out!!!!
    Last edited by Panda; 16th March 2005 at 12:25 PM.
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Goldberg
    I don't think they will roll everyweek mate. I was speaking to someone from *** last weekend who said that it cost's them around £300,000.00 for every roll out!!!!
    Jesus, have seen figures range from 30k to 80k but never 300k. I'd take the 300k with a pinch of salt, it may have cost that much with the first few changes as they had to weed out and replace subbed boxes that didn't auto update but now they are definately confident of the process and if it cost 300k I just couldn't see how they could afford to make the weekly changes.
    Last edited by Panda; 16th March 2005 at 12:25 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Do Not Mention Cable Compaines Trading Name.
    New rules for cable & satellite
    from 15th March 2005
    do some reading and avoid a ban.

Awaiting Email Confirm Thalamus's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Its a sad fact but what the CC dont realise is that they are actually lining the traders pockets with these key changes as the average punter has to pay through the nose for a card update.

Thanks
    Karma Level

This is true Thalamus.

I have heard now that traders are charging a monthly fee, with unlimited card updates. Also some are charging £2.00 to update a card.

2 bloody quid! Talk about squeeze them dry!

At least the traders money is getting less, but the frequency of changes means they still get the same cash in the end. Just now they have to do more work for it!

Dunno if I could be bothered to chase up a trader every week though...

I'm just waiting to see the "Re-program your own card kits" on Ebay! £100 Get them while they're hot!

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

A guy near me sells these 'dodgy' cable boxes & tells his customers that its 'only' a fiver each time the cards go down, about once a month, recons he makes about a grand a month. the more often the cards go down the more he makes. not bad when he's on the dole aswell!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Bet one of his customers will grass him up now they are going down every week. Thinking that it's his fault they go off. If you pay a fiver a week, thats £20 a month. You might as well subscribe!

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

You only get basic channels for that much. The way things are going, everyone with a box will need a programmer of their own.. Which will put traders out of business. The other alternative is tit card.. which again is not trader friendly!
    Last edited by leo_uk; 16th March 2005 at 03:57 PM. Reason: typo

Termy

A Tit card sounds like the way to go,,, but dont they need the PPV cleaning when it reaches £50 ?? Therefore they will either need a progger or rely on a trader to clean the card.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Termy
    A Tit card sounds like the way to go,,, but dont they need the PPV cleaning when it reaches £50 ?? Therefore they will either need a progger or rely on a trader to clean the card.
    I think it's £32 and yes, I mentioned that this is probably the avenue they will explore to get regular income from the punters, that together with rights and expire dates and the traders are back in business.

Thanks
    Karma Level

have you seen the price on titanium cards these days on ebay i saw one go for 80pound

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well i would like to thank the CC for changing them on a weekly basis, as it has given me lots of practice on how to change the keys as ever two months i was finding it hard to remember how to do it. thanks guys yr great:thumbs
    Last edited by logan5; 25th March 2005 at 09:53 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by logan5
    Well i would like to thank the CC for changing them on a weekly basis, as it has given me lots of practice on how to change the keys as ever two months i was finding it hard to rember how to do it. thanks guys yr great:thumbs
    Agree with you m8' when they changed bi/monthly it took me hours to get up and running, but now it only takes me 5mins :thumbs
    Justice For The 96

Thanks
    Karma Level

lets all hope for 2 more next week lol. At £5 a week thats still a saving on *** its £29 for a month
    family pack.

Thanks
    Karma Level

if they keep changing the keys every few days, more people will give up with cable package altogehther, no one can really afford to pay extra £20.00 for a few more stations, you mite as well cancel cable, get a phone with adsl package, as the BT line packages are always better that NTLs - no bandwidth restrictions. Then get sky cos you get more free stations on that.
    Bu ttime wil ltell

Thanks
    Karma Level

agree there like it was all good at first but its getting stupid now any one ever think they will stop hitting them

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by rborhara
    if they keep changing the keys every few days, more people will give up with cable package altogehther, no one can really afford to pay extra £20.00 for a few more stations, you mite as well cancel cable, get a phone with adsl package, as the BT line packages are always better that NTLs - no bandwidth restrictions. Then get sky cos you get more free stations on that.
    Bu ttime wil ltell
    dude you can't expect "them" to sit back and let people OBTAIN the service for free, look what happend to OD, do you really want the others to go the same route, i for one don't want to be left with the choice on just sly, do you, yeah it's a pain in the arse but how much hassle is it to redo a card every couple of days, the improtant thing is, as long as we can get the info we want then we are fine, the ones doing most of the moaning are the ones paying to get updated, well time you did it youself come on in the water is great :thumbs
    :kissass :cry: Hmm I wonder which 3 this is ????

Thanks
    Karma Level

no we are ok - but what revenue cable co's had from customers just taking the basic 14.99 package will cease. they will go elsewhere not everyone though.
    At the end of the day they will have an idea of how many subs they lose or gain and whether keychanges was successful for them.

Thanks
    Karma Level

anologue still works, and it dont crash every 5min, and dont cost nowt to put back on
    none

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast