Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default [PSP] World Tour Soccer

Despite the meagre 70odd percent this got on ign, I was desperate for a football game on my psp, and knowing that I'd sell it on without a problem.. got this anyway.

All I can say is I will NOT be selling it on.

Boot up the game and after the obligatory language selection (shame they dont remember your selection), you are faced with a main menu backed with one of the licenced audio tracks a-la the fifa series there seem to be a fair few music tracks.

Main game modes available are as follows

Quick Game - 2 (fairly poor) teams, one yours, one for the cpu.. exactly what it says and means you dont go thru team/kit/stadium selection

Exhibition - Would have been called 'friendly' in other games. This is where you can select both teams, kits etc and just have a game - this is the mode i have been playing most this morning.

Challenge mode - Not played this yet but seems to be you move through a ladder of matches, progressively getting harder, earning medals and unlocking the next level as you go.

Cups - Several of the worlds major cup competitions to be involved in, world cup euro cup euro club cup etc.

Multiplayer - not tried yet but appears to be via ad-hoc connection so this is one for xlink kai

options - if you're a pro evo/WE player, go in here and set the camera to medium or far NOW !

Anyway, on to the main game and most importantly how does it play.

control of the players is acheived on the dpad or with the analogue stick and is pretty responsive. Turning is fairly natural as in it takes time to turn from running one way to running the opposite way, so adds realism. The only micro whinge i have is player movement doesnt feel as free as it might be as in not true analogue.. You move from your current location in one of 8 directions. This feels odd right at the start but doesnt really detract and sounds much worse than it is.

The basic controls are x for pass, o for high pass, square for shoot, triangle for thru ball with sprint on R shoulder and tricks accessable from L shoulder button.

For the defence, X is change player, o is light tackle, square is sliding tackle, triangle is keeper advance, R shoulder is sprint and L shoulder is "assist".

It doesnt appear that any of these can be changed unless I missed an option for them, but soon picked them up (after a few games shooting when i was trying to cross)

Game speed is excellent, action is very quick and it can be hard to tell the difference between when your player is running and sprinting. Having the camera in the closest mode, made it all a bit too blurry, but this was soon sorted out when i changed it to medium.

The passing and movement is very intuative and individual players like beckham will often do little tricks to beat someone - just in the normal play. The passing scanners are excellent, you get grey arrows to say which direction your players are in, when theyre not on the screen - and they work really well.

Shooting, im still trying to get to grips with this, its pretty hard to master but im getting a good 1 or 2 goals a game so im getting there. It's all too easy to hold the shoot button too long and fire the ball way over the bar. I'm sure this sounds familiar to plenty of you

Teams - there are piles and piles of teams, it seems like every international side and lots and lots of club sides have been covered. Brazil to Bolton and everything in between. Dutch league etc etc but it appears all but a few need to be unlocked so are not available from the start.

There are 4 main skill levels and in a mornings play the bottom 2 are still plenty for me, so theres a fair bit of potential for play to develop.

Im rambling a bit now so best i cut to the summary..

This game is very very good, speaking as a long term fan of football games in general. I cant help thinking that the ign reviewer wasnt a football game fan and is just a general gamer, cos it matters. For the 26 quid in all this cost me, this is excellent and one of about 4 must have titles in my collection now. Not just a nice to have - a must have.

I'm a pro evo fan, have been for years. If you are a pro evo fan looking for a mobile fix, this is definately for you. It plays well, its fun and its pretty accurate (plus lots of the stuff you like has been *cough* borrowed *cough* for this game). This will do you a treat until winning eleven comes out. Unless psp FIFA is really really special, it won't get a look in here. This isnt perfect but its really really good.

My IGN style scores... seeing as they messed it up

Presentation 8.0 - The boot up and menus are simple and useable. Theres a few music tracks that pump out during selections to keep you amused.

Graphics 8.5 - Functional and fast. Good detailing where needed and kept simple otherwise to help the game flow. Blur is a little excessive when the camera is close but perfect when on middle range.

Sound 9.0 - Commentary is (unusually) pretty good. It's not delayed, not repeated too often and is a recognisable voice (peter drury). Crowd noise is well done such as if you put a load of passes together, each pass is cheered. nice stuff

Gameplay 9.0 - Plays real nice. Take a couple of games to get used to it and it'll feel natural to play. It's fast and fluid.

Lasting Appeal 9.5 - with HUNDREDS of clubs, unlockable stadiums and the challenge and multiplayer sections - theres loads to do here. plus as football game fans know, its great to be able to pick up a footy game for a quick go.

Overall 8.9 (not an average)

cheers

malty
    Last edited by maltloaf; 30th March 2005 at 11:09 AM.
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2631290
    i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz/3060ti 8GB Oculus Quest 2
    Laptop Asus FX505GT i5 9500/1650 4GB

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: [PSP] World Tour Soccer

nice one for the review - do you know when winning 11/pro evo is planned for the psp?? looks like i may get this for my mobile footy fix
    We pay taxes, they want our blood for free so i feel no guilt in ripping the f.uckers off

Thanks
    Karma Level

i dont think it even has a projected date yet...
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for that malty, not a big footy fan myself so wont be picking this one up but I know a few mates who've been holding out buying a PSP until one comes out, think i'll point them in this direction and let them read your review

Although would love to know how something as fast paced as a footy game works over kai, so be sure to let us know how you get on there.

http://www.hobbyrc.co.uk for all your quadcopter, actioncam + rc needs :)

flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/_Belial/ (SFW) http://www.flickr.com/photos/_carljones/ (NSFW)
    psn / xbl / WiiU : rhwbanz

Thanks
    Karma Level

Malty,

cracking review there mate, you have certainly go yourself a set of demon fingers there.

I have been playing TIGER WOODS on the psp all day and so far i think its the best release so far but then again i do like the odd game of golf...

typical EA flair in this release and as close as they can get to the ps2 counterpart. Lovely..

Thanks for the review, nice job

BP

Thanks
    Karma Level

It can't be that good if you found the time to write that huge review!!

Just kidding, cracking mate. It's time Fifa etc... had some competition and the Handheld world opens that door.
    We all make mistakes sometimes

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

This is from the same series known as TIF on the ps2. must have changed it's name for the US market.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ordered as per your review Malty... It better be good

Is there a confirmed release for PES4 or 5?
    Liverpool FC - Pride of Merseyside
    Attention - Use Ebay? - Support DF and use this link when buying/selling/signing up:
    The Digital Forums / Ebay Affiliate Link

Thanks
    Karma Level

i just cant get into playing this at all for me its a real let down
    Last edited by _Costanza_; 31st March 2005 at 07:19 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

good review malty I generally dont go along with any of IGN's ratings as they are usually crap I tend to use Gamespot (British too) and they gave it 7.4 which is a good score by them really it means that is well worth trying anyway. Here are some Screens for anyone interested looks OK to me
    Cheers

Thanks
    Karma Level

gunna buy this, spiderman 2 and wipeout tomorrow from gbax

he's just up the road from me :thumbs

Thanks
    Karma Level

the biggest issue is the odd control you have over the players.. they dont seem to respond to you as if they have to take another step before they change direction. It sounds way worse than it is and plays really well once you get used to it

Thanks
    Karma Level

/me still cant decide whether to get this or fifa , cheers for the review tho