Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Info to buy or not buy a bike with no i.d

a good friend of mine has offered me a yam yzf600 thundercat with no reg plate or v5. He bought it along with another bike from a guy who claims to have bought it from an insurance company for trackday use--it's got a few scuffs on the fairing and one broken mirror--frame and engine numbers are intact and it doesn't look like they've been messed with--my question is, can i hpi the frame and engine numbers before i hand my money over so i know the story is right?
    i trust my mate but don't know the guy he got the bike off
    thanks for any advice!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: to buy or not buy a bike with no i.d

If your mate is that trustworthy, then surely getting your money back shouldn't be a problem if the bike turns out to be nicked.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i think you can check probley with dvla and i think it could also be regesterd again with a new plate not sure tho.

mat

Thanks
    Karma Level

As Matt1chelski says, you can check with the DVLA using the numbers on the frame and the engine. They will be able to tell you at least what the last known registration was - maybe even if it is stolen. If everything checks out you can apply for the V5. If the bike has been de-registered (written off) and the parts are not stolen you can apply to get a new registration - used to be a Q plate I think but don't quote me on that. Be warned though - if the bike turns out to be stolen the DVLA may contact the Police and inform them of your enquiry. A m8 of mine found this out to his cost a few years ago when he registered a bike which turned out to be a Ringer. Police turned up, took said bike away and he lost bike and cash. Luckily for him no charges were pressed - altho initially they talked about pressing charges for handling stolen property. Be careful - that is all I will say matey.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ali gator
    They will be able to tell you at least what the last known registration was
    No they won't, they will simply tell you to book an appointment with a local registration office to have the vehicle examined.

maybe even if it is stolen.
    Unless the Data Protection Act has radically changed in the last 3 years, they won't tell you that either.

Thanks
    Karma Level

thanks for all the help lads-much appreciated--i'm gonna take a chance on it i think and just hope for the best
    cheers again!

Thanks
    Karma Level

i wouldnt touch it with a 10 foot bargepole.

nowadays you cant buy bikes from insurance companys - i work with a bike shop, all written off bikes are sold for salvage/auction to a government approved company (dh hales) - no exceptions (with v5/reg's) if they are too higher a catorgary then they are physically destroyed, i.e. the frame is melted down and the vin plate has to be returned to a dvla office for verication.

looks way too iffy to me

Thanks
    Karma Level

that's very interesting-my mate actually got it about 8 weeks ago, the guy he got it off claims to have bought it around a year previously, my mate wants £800 for it and if i'm honest it'll probably be my last £800 so now i'm losing interest!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Re: to buy or not buy a bike with no i.d

Bikes are sold by D-Hales/ HBC / Raw2k all the time with no reg plates or v5's as accident damaged/ repairable (CAT C or D) if the bikes VIN plate is intact then it wont be parts only (CAT A or B) the bike was probably bought as repairable, many bikes dont have the reg plates because they get broken off or whatever, however if you had bought the bike from one of these companies they would have told you the reg number. As long as its not stolen (it has keys right?) then you just apply for the V5 with a V62C Form and send your £19 fee (rip off) and youll get a shiny new v5 complete with reg number then you can go get a number plate made. Hope this clears it up for you m8 I personally wouldnt worry sounds totally legit too me, if its not then go break his legs or send the police whicheva you prefer

^Ac|d^

Thanks
    Karma Level

if you phone swansea and ask if there is any police interest in this vehicle they will tell you about it even with just the v.i.n, its free so no need to pay for a h.p.i.
    i deal in used cars and have used this often.
    hope this helps

Thanks
    Karma Level

thanks again for all the advice--i took a chance and bought it, had it checked and everything's fine--bike cost me £800 and i only needed a mirror and lockset-i'm well chuffed--thanks again!